• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How does hypocrisy come into it at all? You're either for walking or against it. Besides, even if you were the flakey type, not/walking off at the death in the first innings of a meaningless ODI isn't comparable to not/walking off at the pivotal moment of an important Test match.
Only because Symonds was labelled a cheat as a result. It was largely just the effigy-burning fanatics i was talking about. I can't think of anyone on this board that it would apply to.

Uppercut

Not to take anything away from this bowling, but there's a serious toss-wins-match problem with day-nighters in Colombo.

EDIT: Just checked to back this up, 26 of the 34 non-minnow day/night ODIs that produced a result at the ground since 2000 were won by the team batting first. Noone in that time has chosen to field except Sri Lanka once in an abandoned game.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Only because Symonds was labelled a cheat as a result. It was largely just the effigy-burning fanatics i was talking about. I can't think of anyone on this board that it would apply to.
Ah okay. To be fair, I don't come across those allegations to any significant degree outside the forums. If anyone does spout that nonsense, it helps to point them towards Murali Kartik not walking in the last ODI at the Brabourne (or was it the CCI?) in the ODI series preceding the tour of Australia. The anger following the Sydney Test is mainly directed towards Steve Bucknor, who has a history of saving up the atrocious decisions for India games, and Clarke/Ponting.

I think the alleged Symonds hate here is highly exaggerated. Its a country of 1.3 billion. Unfortunately the media choose to paint a few loony cases as representative of the entire general population. If there is any degree of intolerance for the guy, it has more to do with his off the field activities and the general perception of him being a grade A sook during the entire monkeygate saga.

Uppercut

Yeah, fair call. It wasn't the wisest comment in hindsight. No need for me to flog old horses.

In other news, Praveen is awesome.

pup11

International Coach
Not to take anything away from this bowling, but there's a serious toss-wins-match problem with day-nighters in Colombo.

EDIT: Just checked to back this up, 26 of the 34 non-minnow day/night ODIs that produced a result at the ground since 2000 were won by the team batting first. Noone in that time has chosen to field except Sri Lanka once in an abandoned game.
Yeah i hate this, i think the same holds true for D/N games at Durban too, it just not fair on the side batting second imo, and when a venue has a history of this problem, only day games should be played there.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah i hate this, i think the same holds true for D/N games at Durban too, it just not fair on the side batting second imo, and when a venue has a history of this problem, only day games should be played there.
Yeah Durban at night is usually goodnight Charlie, as is Cape Town. Ball does some strange stuff at Kingsmead at night, made RP Singh look world-class and at Cape Town, Nehra became a legend in his own lunchtime.

Sri Lankans need to make a move soon. Required run-rate is getting silly now.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sri Lanka waiting for Murali to come out before they take the PowerPlay. :sleep:

They could end up losing by 30 odd runs but they haven't been close all game.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yeah Durban at night is usually goodnight Charlie, as is Cape Town. Ball does some strange stuff at Kingsmead at night, made RP Singh look world-class and at Cape Town, Nehra became a legend in his own lunchtime.
Nehra's 6fer was at Durban too, not the Cape. James Anderson had a similar performance to Nehra's at the same venue a few days earlier.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I reckon the Lankans have put off taking their powerplay too long. The 4th and 5th bowlers have completed their 20 overs between them. Its going to be tough going at 9 an over in the powerplay against Ishant, Zaheer and Praveen.

Uppercut

I reckon the Lankans have put off taking their powerplay too long. The 4th and 5th bowlers have completed their 20 overs between them. Its going to be tough going at 9 an over in the powerplay against Ishant, Zaheer and Praveen.
Don't think I'd agree with this, I'd say the 40th or 41st over is usually a pretty good time to take the powerplay. SL's mistake is going at 2-3 an over in the middle overs instead of aiming for 4. It doesn't even mean hitting boundaries, just playing more strike rotating shots- sweeping the spinners, opening the face of the bat on your forward defensive, nicking to third man- Jayawardene and Kandamby didn't do enough of it and left too much to the death. If they win now it'll be in spite of their tactics rather than because of them.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Wow bowled him but the bails don't come off and Sri Lanka get four byes. The ball went hard into the stumps as well. Bizarre.