• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Sri Lanka

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The fact that Badrinath was not in today's line up is an indicator that he is not a contender for a spot for the first game.

He will have to wait for failures in the middle order to make it to subsequent games.

Migara

International Coach
The fact that Badrinath was not in today's line up is an indicator that he is not a contender for a spot for the first game.

He will have to wait for failures in the middle order to make it to subsequent games.
Somewhere down the line he'll replace Yuvraj.

Migara

International Coach
You are convinced that Yuvraj will fail. That may well happen but I have seen enough cricket in my life not to bet on it :)
I feel that will be the more likely out come. Yuvraj hitting three centuries is highly unlikely when two good spinners are around and when there's plenty of help for the bowlers on SL pitches.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I feel that will be the more likely out come. Yuvraj hitting three centuries is highly unlikely when two good spinners are around and when there's plenty of help for the bowlers on SL pitches.
So if he doesn't score three centuries he will be dropped. Two or three fifties wont do ?

If Yuvraj scores runs, more than others in the middle order, then he will remain. Its as simple as that. Someone maybe dropped, but it could be anyone, anyone who is failing consistently, that may, or may not, be Yuvraj. Its as simple as that.

Migara

International Coach
So if he doesn't score three centuries he will be dropped. Two or three fifties wont do ?
Didn't expect such a daft question from you SJS. I can't see Yuvraj doing well in this series. SL pitches help bowlers, and SL team has good spinners as well. While ODI scores in all other grounds swelled SL pitches remained the same way as in mid 1990s. Only technically sound batsmen with many shots can make runs regularly. If you want to name some Tendulkar, De Silva, Azhar, Salim Malik,Mark Waugh were few. Sehwag, Jayawardane, Ponting, Clarke, Symonds are few examples from today. If the players are deficinet in defence, it's calling for disaster on SL pitches.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't expect such a daft question from you SJS. I can't see Yuvraj doing well in this series. SL pitches help bowlers, and SL team has good spinners as well. While ODI scores in all other grounds swelled SL pitches remained the same way as in mid 1990s. Only technically sound batsmen with many shots can make runs regularly. If you want to name some Tendulkar, De Silva, Azhar, Salim Malik,Mark Waugh were few. Sehwag, Jayawardane, Ponting, Clarke, Symonds are few examples from today. If the players are deficinet in defence, it's calling for disaster on SL pitches.
I dont see it as a daft question at all.

I am just responding to your assertions.

1. That Yuvraj will fail : I said he may but who can say for sure
2. That you dont see him scoring three centuries in the series : I dont see why he shud be expected to. I dont know when last, if ever, an Indian batsman scored three centuries in a one day series of five games
3. That he will be the one to be replaced : There is no reson why only he shud be a potential candidate for replacement, there will be at least three (besides the openers) - say Raina, Rohit Sharma AND Yuvraj.
4. That Yuvraj will find the spinners too much : Maybe but who is to say that he wil be the only one to face that problem ?​

So. My dear Migara. You need to ask yourself why you are so sure of Yuvraj's failure.

I am not a great fan of Yuvraj Singh and that is well known on this forum but I dont think one can allow one's prejudices to make such predictions witth such certainity.

All I have done, in this 'dialogue' with you is to question that 'certainitty' in your assertions, for that is unwaranted.

Everything is possible but cricket's Nostradamuses have never had a great and consistent career in this line.

I have nothing else to say.

The series starts tomorow and Yuvraj may well fail but as I said at the very beginning, I wouldn't take a bet on it.

BTW, since you are so sure that he wil fail and be dropped, why not offer some odds to back your confidence and put your money where your mouth is.

I will put in some good amount (a 1000 USD maybe ) and make you a tidy sum if the odds are as solid as your confidence :)

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Coming back to India on the eve of the 1st one dayer, the Indian batsmen do not go into the game with such a terrible recent record. Have a look at their runs and averages in 2008 and in recent matches.

1. Sehwag:
- This Year : 579 at 44.5
- Last eight Matches : 498 at 62.3 !

2. Gambhir :
- This Year : 908 at 56.8
- Last nine Matches : 468 at 58.5 !

3. Yuvraj :
- This Year : 496 at 33.1
- Last eight Matches : 294 at 49.0 !

4. Dhoni :
- This Year : 762 at 76.2 !
- Last eight Matches : 391 at 97.8 !!

5. Raina :
- This Year : 422 at 62.3 !
- Last six Matches : 372 at 74.4 !!

6. Rohit Sharma :
- This Year : 410 at 29.3
- Last eight Matches : 166 at 27.6.

So. If we were not looking back at Mendis over our shoulders, we would have said, but for Rohit Sharma's drop in form, the line up loks in great shape. What could be better except, maybe, the presence of Sachin who had scored 344 runs this year at 44.3 with 63, (against Sri Lanka in a virtual semi final), 113 no and 91 against Australia in the two semi finals. That would have made it perfect.

Now we have everything in place MINUS Sachin and PLUS Mendis. Lets see what we do.

*crosses fingers and toes*

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The toss has been taken, and a commemorative coin about Sri Lanka's race to the finals of the 2007 World Cup. Tony Greig goofed up saying that Sri Lanka won the toss, when the Indians did.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sehwag rolled his ankle in training so Virat Kohli will make his ODI debut, big blow for India. Hopefully the youngster can show us some of the potential he demonstrated for the Under 19's.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Both teams are going in with five bowlers. India win the toss and elect to bat.

Now Sanjay Manjrekar, who often scored his fifties in hundred balls each, is worried about the lack of experience in the Indian batting lineup. This after there was 'excess of experience' of the Test team.

Virat Kohli opens with Gambhir. Really. No Badrinath. We wonder why.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Poor start for India with Gambhir only lasting two balls. Raina to step up to the plate?

adharcric

International Coach
Raina and Yuvraj at the crease together, absolutely critical for India and if they can stick around, it'll be a beauty to watch. Mendis to come on within 5 overs.

Last edited:

viktor

State Vice-Captain
This could be good for Yuvraj's pov, being in early, gives him a chance to settle in before the two Ms come on.. anyway, off to bed..