• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

Blaze 18

Banned
86 Overs were bowled today.

Don't know how much play is left to be made up for day 1 ,but don't see their being 100 overs.

Infact even if India look like getting the target the Saffies can slow the over rate down and bowl defensive lines.

India's only chance if any of winning it is either Sehwag or Dhoni score quickfire 70 odd atleast making the task easier for the others.
And it would have to be early on too,to put SA in a predicament.
Only 330 overs have been bowled over the four days. Will they make up for it tomorrow ? Just wondering...

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
On the flip side, South Africa could have had India two down by stumps today. Look, if the Indians decide to shut up shop and bat for a draw, then it won't be easy to bowl them out. Graeme Smith did the same against Pakistan recently - ordinary stuff to be honest.
That is a valid point, but on the flip side of that now SA can go all out and attack all the time unless someone does something extraordinary for India early on and puts them back attacking.

They can set attacking fields and bowl attacking lines without any real threat. While if they would have declared for 300 and a quick start by India would have forced them to defend.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Only 330 overs have been bowled over the four days. Will they make up for it tomorrow ? Just wondering...
Don't know what the rules are ,tbh.

The first day they played one hour extra but haven't done that since despite the full quota of overs not being complete.

Seems a bit weird.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
What hurts the most here is we had them down at 130 for 6 or 90 something for 5 and we let them reach 340 on this pitch.

It was there for the taking and we couldn't. It would have hurt less had their top order from the start had the partnerships and they reached here with ease and declared.

As was kind of expecting it.
But getting the hopes up and then ruining it stinks,tbh.

Blaze 18

Banned
Oh okay, I dunno then. I am not too excited about the ODI series to be honest - it is sandwiched between arguably the two most important series for an Indian fan : test series in South Africa and the World Cup.

Blaze 18

Banned
What hurts the most here is we had them down at 130 for 6 or 90 something for 5 and we let them reach 340 on this pitch.

It was there for the taking and we couldn't. It would have hurt less had their top order from the start had the partnerships and they reached here with ease and declared.

Even 230/7 wasn't too bad. Still, I am confident that India will at least save this test match.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Don't know what the rules are ,tbh.

The first day they played one hour extra but haven't done that since despite the full quota of overs not being complete.

Seems a bit weird.
I think they can play an extra half hour to get the 90 overs in, then half an hour for weather delays.

If more than half an hour is lost they start the next day up to half an hour early, and can then play half an hour over to get the 98 overs in (8 being the extra half hour)

I would expect 98 overs to be scheduled for tomorrow.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Oh okay, I dunno then. I am not too excited about the ODI series to be honest - it is sandwiched between arguably the two most important series for an Indian fan : test series in South Africa and the World Cup.
True.

But i want Mukund or Pujara to be picked as it will be a good experience for them and a good test for our next generation of batsmen in SA conditions.

Poor Pujara deserves another chance too after getting the toughest possible conditions each innings when he came in.

Cruxdude

International Debutant

Totally agree. Having SA on the ropes and now leaving them totally in control really hurts. This could have been a great series win for us. Didn't see most of the day and maybe that saved me from more heartburn.

Am actually against this ODI series. They could potentially ruin the confidence of the FTB youngsters we are relying on to win the WC.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I think they can play an extra half hour to get the 90 overs in, then half an hour for weather delays.

If more than half an hour is lost they start the next day up to half an hour early, and can then play half an hour over to get the 98 overs in (8 being the extra half hour)

I would expect 98 overs to be scheduled for tomorrow.
If they play the full 98 overs then India have a outside chance ,but will require one of the best chases of all time against his bowling line up.
They basically have to slightly better the SA 2nd innings run rate and that also lift up due to late order hitting.

But i doubt if India is in with any chance that SA will bowl 98 overs or try too.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is so depressing to see Dhoni basically give up.. only yesterday I was praising this Indian team for showing an appetite for a scrap. :( Atleast I hope a couple of batsmen stand up to be counted and take us within a 100 runs.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Even 230/7 wasn't too bad. Still, I am confident that India will at least save this test match.
True.

To be honest the fast bowlers and Dhoni really let it slip away and gave up midway in the Pollock/Boucher partnership.

The second new ball was really bad and Dhoni's captaincy was the worst i have seen since he became captain.

Defensive fields for boucher and Kallis just due to one or 2 boundaries,when the ball was kicking was real bad.
Plus not only did he give the ball to Sachin too late,he took it away when he was threatening and could have tempted the tail.

Then he kept balling the fast bowlers who including Zaheer were pretty much useless today.

Ah!! well really feel a fit Sehwag bowling here or even a Yuvraj would have made a massive difference here.

Dissector

International Debutant
So is this the end of the road for Ishant Sharma? At least Sreesanth produces a genuinely match-changing spell once in a rare while, whereas Ishant seems to oscillate from mediocrity to utter crap. Disappointing because a couple of years ago he seemed the one Indian bowler likely to break out of the wheel of mediocrity. And it's scary to think the alternative is Unadkat. Ishant is still young and I could still see him returning in 5 years as a smarter more disciplined bowler but right now he has to go.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Totally agree. Having SA on the ropes and now leaving them totally in control really hurts. This could have been a great series win for us. Didn't see most of the day and maybe that saved me from more heartburn.

Am actually against this ODI series. They could potentially ruin the confidence of the FTB youngsters we are relying on to win the WC.
Yeah!!

You really saved yourself.

Watching the siutation slip from being in command to what it became was depressing really and devastating.

Have been waiting for this series for a long time now and it was there to be had and then it was not. Damn!!!!

Hope we atleast draw it now. But don't have too many hopes right now.