• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

cnerd123

likes this
I mean Dravid's only just taken over, and Lokesh is captaining for the first time. Lots of factors at play here. It's not like SA are bowling crap either - they are the home team and have been a good ODI outfit for a while now!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, for all we know both Rahuls may grow into their roles but its very hard to not feel bad when the team looks as listless as a SENA tour under Dhoni during the times he had just given up caring.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
I mean Dravid's only just taken over, and Lokesh is captaining for the first time. Lots of factors at play here. It's not like SA are bowling crap either - they are the home team and have been a good ODI outfit for a while now!
Without Rabada Nortje & a newish attack tbh this is a weak SA team. Pakistan smashed a better side in April across T20 & ODIs. I think SL won the ODI series against them as well before IPl.
Tbh no one cares much about losing but losing while trying new players & building a team is fine... Not while playing same old players.
Rahul should never open & he is at his best when he has to hit out & that's at 5. I don't know how Dravid & TM screwed it up.

Bahseph

State Captain
Rahul probably deserves a few more matches before we write him off but some of his bowling changes/tactics have not been good. Iyer also seems very up and down. Probably great for a couple of T20 overs but can't see him getting through 10 in ODIs.

Bahseph

State Captain
Rahul actually accepted that in the post match which was good to see. At least he seems to have bit of honesty going for him.
To be fair,Shamsi and Maharaj are both quality spin bowlers. Maharaj is alot craftier than people give him credit for in LO cricket and Shamsi is in the form of his life at the moment. I do think that as well as Markram has bowled,they have been very cautious with him!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To be fair,Shamsi and Maharaj are both quality spin bowlers. Maharaj is alot craftier than people give him credit for in LO cricket and Shamsi is in the form of his life at the moment. I do think that as well as Markram has bowled,they have been very cautious with him!
Yeah and you cant discount the South African bounce on these tracks means even the slow turners behave differently to how our turners behave. RSA were immense in the T20 WC as well and were very unlucky to miss out with a very similar attack. So yes, it will be silly to not see they actually had a very good team for the conditions and performed far better. Bavuma has a few things that I dont like as a captain, but his field placings and bowling changes are always on the aggressive side and that is good to see in an international captain these days.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
And that ought to be the coach's job. I can't believe someone like Dravid isn't able to see what the rest of us slobs so obviously do, so what's going on? I think Dravid's too reticent and too nice to read the riot act to these IPL prima donnas. I'm coming around to accepting that Shastri managed the task masterfully: worked himself into the captain's good graces, wowed the rest of the team with showmanship, and coordinated steategy with the support staff behind the scenes. Am I being too generous to the wino, too harsh on Dravid? Probably, but hard to shake the feeling that the team's adrift atm.
We don't know what's going on from the outside. I don't think Dravid would just enter the scene and start making changes from get go. Bhuvi is an experienced bowler who is fighting for his place in the team, this was a good time to just test him out and retain/bin him going forward. Same with Dhawan. I agree there are youngsters waiting for the opportunities and they'll be preferred after what has happened in this series, but this is too early. Dravid should be given a free-hand for a year or two before we come to any conclusions.

Our white ball cricket was a mess and it'll be even more difficult to crack with the management's trust in KL Rahul, he is a terrible captain and if he leads the side in Rohit's absence we're ****ed. The big positive I see in this is that Rahul has looked quite bad as a captain and the selectors might look at other options, and the obvious weaknesses like our traditional batting approach and our experienced bowlers lacking the bite has been fully exposed and there will be a lot of thought put into the team combinations/approach,etc. going forward.

Burner

International Regular
KL Rahul is so intrepid though. Would not have chosen him to be a captain. Besides, is he even good enough to warrant a spot in the team at all times? I am a bit biased against him because of the whole years of mediocrity thing but he's so meh imo.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
KL Rahul is so intrepid though. Would not have chosen him to be a captain. Besides, is he even good enough to warrant a spot in the team at all times? I am a bit biased against him because of the whole years of mediocrity thing but he's so meh imo.
Hes averaged 50+ striking at 105 and won india multiple games in the middle order since aus toured in 2019, managment just randomly decided to have him open this series instead of backing a young gun like gaikwad 0_0

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Never been a opener this guy. He is not mentally prepared for big games as well. However he really turned a corner as no 5.. Always had the range of strokes to finish a inns. Poor decision to push him to open.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
We should just say **** it and rest all of Ashwin, Virat, Shikhar, Bhuvi and Bumrah today.

Rutu
Ishy (wk)
SKY
Shreyas
Rahul (c)
Venky
Jayant
D Chahar
Saini
Siraj
Chahal