• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

Flem274*

123/5
Can't agree with this logic. Broad got dropped last test while Olonga played all tests for Zimbabwe.

When you have such good depth in the pace bowling ranks like india has now currently with Bumrah Shami Siraj Umesh and Ishant, it is very difficult to get a game unless conditions warrant a fourth pacer.

Jamieson is much better than Thakur imo but this logic is not right.
I think you're taking Spark's logic to the extreme. What he's saying is to be considered really good at test cricket, you need to be a starter, otherwise you're just a good horse for the course. I think Spark's pretty convinced Thakur is a good player.

Spark

Global Moderator
Can't agree with this logic. Broad got dropped last test while Olonga played all tests for Zimbabwe.

When you have such good depth in the pace bowling ranks like india has now currently with Bumrah Shami Siraj Umesh and Ishant, it is very difficult to get a game unless conditions warrant a fourth pacer.

Jamieson is much better than Thakur imo but this logic is not right.
Broad is a 150 Test match player, I don't think there's any question about him being an all-conditions cricketer through the course of his career.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think you're taking Spark's logic to the extreme. What he's saying is to be considered really good at test cricket, you need to be a starter, otherwise you're just a good horse for the course. I think Spark's pretty convinced Thakur is a good player.
Correct. Didn't think it was that controversial a thing to say tbh.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That wasn't really the discussion though, it was more about who's had the better start to their careers.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
KL's captaincy hasn't been that good, notwithstanding the fact that it's his first test as captain and it's probably been ages since he's done it in the long format.

Teja.

Global Moderator
FTR, based on eye test, I think Shardul is a long term 27-29 average fast bowler and a 25 average batsman at no.8 which would make him an excellent package, especially considering his disproportionate top order wicket taking ability and his aggressive batting which introduces potential for making runs in low scoring games.

However, even the above assessment was originally worse and has been revised upwards several times due to him performing miracle after miracle every time he plays.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Good catch that...
...little disappointed. After the Petersen Elgar partnership felt we should have got to at least 250. But we have a small lead...

Spark

Global Moderator
Feels like SA have let a big opportunity slip there. One more partnership and they have a huge advantage in the game.