• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2021-22

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah I agree with that technically but the bloke is putting up "literally worse than part timer" numbers post-pandemic and, while I definitely think injuries have taken a bit of the zip out of his bowling, he still looks perfectly servicable and, as Flem said yesterday, should still be fluking random death wickets here and there. But he just can't buy a pole for some reason, it's completely baffling to me.

As for the rest of the attack... minnow-tier might be harsh but I'm not willing to say it's definitely harsh. It's not exactly scary right now if Bumrah isn't doing anything.
I just think he has lost a lot of variety in terms of length and seems to bowl a very default length these days.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The saving grace is that it really, really doesn't matter.

Some of the mid-cycle Aus sides put up over the years - in successful WC cycles! - have been absolute trash tier. It just doesn't matter. Though in that case, India really should be using series like these to experiment with younger players or newer tactics rather than going back to Ashwin and Bhuvi. I don't think they're likely to be part of India's plans in 2023.
Yeah, I have come around to buying this idea of using all of such JAM ODIs to understand more about players. Ashwin being here makes sense given all of Jaddu, Axar, Washy are injured and we dont really have a spin bowling guy who can bat outside of these. And frankly, given the 2023 WC will be in India, I can still see Ash playing more of a role there. What we really need to work out is, Ashwin is not a #7 and neither is Shardul. This means we need to actually play with 7 batsmen and hope SKY and Venky can bowl 10 overs between them.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah, I have come around to buying this idea of using all of such JAM ODIs to understand more about players. Ashwin being here makes sense given all of Jaddu, Axar, Washy are injured and we dont really have a spin bowling guy who can bat outside of these. And frankly, given the 2023 WC will be in India, I can still see Ash playing more of a role there. What we really need to work out is, Ashwin is not a #7 and neither is Shardul. This means we need to actually play with 7 batsmen and hope SKY and Venky can bowl 10 overs between them.
Yeah that's why those mid-cycle Aus sides end up trash tier. They just throw pretty much any vaguely interesting or vaguely promising player at an JAMODI series or two and see what sticks. Obviously, in most cases it doesn't, but that's okay because it hardly matters and now you've crossed one off the list.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Ashwin playing in 2023 WC means Cricket is dead in India. Sai Kishore Bishnoi Axar Sundar all sh*** over him as proper wicket taking options in LOIs. Guy is simply not good enough now in ODIs. Indian Tracks are batting beauties in LOis with small boundaries. Ash is decent on turners & even that's debatable as Amit Mishra will outbowl him on a Turner in India without breaking a sweat.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sai Kishore Bishnoi Axar Sundar all sh*** over him as proper wicket taking options in LOIs.
I mean, I agree ODs are Ash's worst format but you ahve to realize none of them except Axar and Sundar have played LOIs and within that, neither have taken matchwinning hauls, unless you include T20Is where Ashwin has had match winning performances even recently.

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Even I am criticising the Indian batters for their approach against him, I had posted about Rahul's negative approach against Markram at the start of the game(in the Indian Cricket Tea Lounge forum). Have an open mind while debating with people instead of just blabbering the same points and making random assumptions.

No one has called Markram a premier spin bowler, we were just talking about how useful he is. Just like Shardul is useful with the bat in tests for India.
Who is "we"? Cnerd labeled him a regular bowler when the guy has only bowled 30% of his ODI career...you labeled him "decent" which I guess is fair enough. I think he is rubbish but may have a golden arm like Root. Problem is, you started replying to my messages aimed at cnerd rather than yourself.

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
It kinda does actually. It just means he only bowls when the situation suits him, and lo and behold he's pretty effective when he does.
But what's the criteria here...11 innings out of 35 ODI matches. That does not make him a regular bowler. You even raised his List A career, where he bowls as little as his international career.

Is he a handy enough bowler and someone who may be useful to hide a few overs, sure. That doesn't mean he is regular. I won't disucss this any more as you clearly don't know what regular actually means and want to keep changing the goalposts. If you think he is a difficult bowler for India, then go ahead but don't make excuses for bad batting.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Been some tour hasn't it? Took a big steaming dump all over the high from last year.
Gotta say its some job by Ganguly and BCCI. To have taken this team from where they were in September after the Oval win, successfully alienating our best batsman, letting go of the coach whom the players seemed to trust the most, replacing the captain with someone who cant even stay fit and then seeing injuries after injuries happen and get worse, players coming back being nowhere near what they were before injuries. As good as our system has been, you gotta think something is rotten since Ganguly has taken over.

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Back on topic, India is being ground into the dust against THIS SA side...wow. There needs to be a massive re-think and personally, they have to find a way to get Bumrah back into the groove.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Gotta say its some job by Ganguly and BCCI. To have taken this team from where they were in September after the Oval win, successfully alienating our best batsman, letting go of the coach whom the players seemed to trust the most, replacing the captain with someone who cant even stay fit and then seeing injuries after injuries happen and get worse, players coming back being nowhere near what they were before injuries. As good as our system has been, you gotta think something is rotten since Ganguly has taken over.
Yeah, I know Ganguly has a rep for salvaging Indian cricket after Azhar's depredations, but the guy's always had a massive ego: as a player, as a captain, heck as twelfth man even based on rumors from thirty years ago. He's too familiar with the oily machinations of the BCCI for my tastes - has to be, to be where he's at - and I'm not sure his past as a cricketer necessarily means he'll always come down on the side of what's good for Indian cricket.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
I mean, I agree ODs are Ash's worst format but you ahve to realize none of them except Axar and Sundar have played LOIs and within that, neither have taken matchwinning hauls, unless you include T20Is where Ashwin has had match winning performances even recently.
Ash is surely getting dropped. Bishnoi probably will be picked for Lanka T20Is I think. Sundar may as well get a shot as Jaddu is still recovering. These guys should get good 15-20 T20Is & probably a WT20 if they do well. WC 2023 is quite far away & they will get reasonable games under them by then.
We will see a lot of changes in Bowling attack I think from up coming series.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Back on topic, India is being ground into the dust against THIS SA side...wow. There needs to be a massive re-think and personally, they have to find a way to get Bumrah back into the groove.
Since you're so concerned for the health of Indian cricket, please lend us Babar Azam and Shaheen Afridi. You can have KL Rahul and Bhuvneshwar Kumar.

Niall

International Coach
I recall an ODI series in England where the hosts got a meagre 210 or so score, it was wretched and proof which was not needed how far behind England were in this format, India chased it without breaking sweat, ironically ODI failure Rahane had a good time that day.

It feels a bit similar this series unfortunately for India.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Bit of panic and not much to come for South Africa. Wicket has looked tired since I've been watching and surprised how toothless India have been up until now. Kumar in particular has been awful. No pace and bowling halfway down.
Though this series should be won before the 1st game highlights are put by CSA on YouTube.