• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa 2013/14

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I'm saying that was the media excuse. The dispute is well publicized, but if that was still ongoing, the tour would have been cancelled altogether.
BCCI was cancelling the tour, until CSA bended over and accepted their terms to even do the minimum number of games as per FTP.

Lorgat was suspended and inquiry into some statement intiated or something like that according to BCCI's whimsical demands.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA were afraid of choking imo... And because of that they probably did choke, albeit in a different way... By being too afraid to go for the win when it's the likeliest result.

OverratedSanity

Well the last time Faf did it we went on and won the series. At least Proteas wont be one bowler down next match....
Don't equate the two, seriously. That day, a win was impossible right to the end. Not so here... It's an opportunity missed imo

Also, did you not see Morkel's ankle? Surely he won't play

Last edited:

Sachin95

U19 Debutant
SA were afraid of choking imo... And because of that they probably did choke, albeit in a different way... By being too afraid to go for the win when it's the likeliest result.
Let's not talk about choke. About 2-3 hours ago both you and I were about to punch Dhoni in the face lol. All of us Indian supporters were like WHERE THE **** DID SHAMI GO?

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
I have to come out and say that I'm a big supporter of test cricket having limited overs. Draw is a part of the game that's really underrated.

Daemon

I highly doubt there will be any change for Durban. They'll likely be looking at only two possible changes if any; Zaheer out for Umesh and/or Ashwin out for Jadeja, and I'm confident neither will happen.

Heboric

International Debutant
Don't equate the two, seriously. That day, a win was impossible right to the end. Not so here... It's an opportunity missed imo

Also, did you not see Morkel's ankle? Surely he won't play
Is there a new rule that Proteas cant pick another bowler..

I am just saying what happened last time Faf played an innings like that. So I dont know where you are getting off at?

Lasereyes

Cricket Spectator
BCCI was cancelling the tour, until CSA bended over and accepted their terms to even do the minimum number of games as per FTP.

Lorgat was suspended and inquiry into some statement intiated or something like that according to BCCI's whimsical demands.
CSA bending over was inevitable - cancellation would have been a financial disaster for them - and BCCI knew it. BCCI held all the cards and got exactly what they wanted: a short series allowing time to fit in a home series.

Lasereyes

Cricket Spectator
Let's not talk about choke. About 2-3 hours ago both you and I were about to punch Dhoni in the face lol. All of us Indian supporters were like WHERE THE **** DID SHAMI GO?
Saffie ribbing aside, not sure why anyone would talk about chokes. South Africa were backs against the wall after the first innings and were pounded on day 3. Achieving a draw with the better chance of winning is a top effort. Worthy #1 team.

Sachin95

U19 Debutant
Saffie ribbing aside, not sure why anyone would talk about chokes. South Africa were backs against the wall after the first innings and were pounded on day 3. Achieving a draw with the better chance of winning is a top effort. Worthy #1 team.
Yes but India was definitely the underdogs in this match. All the criticism about how they can only bat/bowl at home but they clearly demonstrated they aren't as weak as people believed. Their bowling was fantastic in the first innings and at times in the second innings. Their batting was better in BOTH innings.

Heboric

International Debutant
Yes but India was definitely the underdogs in this match. All the criticism about how they can only bat/bowl at home but they clearly demonstrated they aren't as weak as people believed. Their bowling was fantastic in the first innings and at times in the second innings. Their batting was better in BOTH innings.
Yes but India was batting when the pitch was the flattest against a team with one of their front line bowlers injured and unable to bowl

Lasereyes

Cricket Spectator
Agree with this - in fact the batting was unbelievable given they didn't have 1 ball of first class cricket before the test. All I'm saying is given their position at the end of day 3 and 4, a draw was a terrific achievement for South Africa, on par with their Adelaide miracle last year.

I found India's bowling toothless today. Zaheer's unwillingness to bowl over the wicket made him too predictable and Ishant was bowling mid-130s without doing too much. And they seriously need to look at Ashwin. Doesn't seem to be any threat outside India.

Also, the lack of a good 5th bowler akin to Sehwag and Tendulkar showed today. They need to think about that. Either Jadeja has to improve his batting to fit in at #6, or the likes of Rohit Sharma have to practice bowling.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I can't believe people are blaming Philander. Steyn was clearly telling Philander he doesn't want to take a run.
It's 100% on Smith. I don't care if he says he left it up to the batsmen in the middle; if anything that makes it worse. When you're the captain and you have such an easy opportunity to send a message out - a new batsman strolling past you to get out to the crease - then you don't leave decisions like that up to your two opening bowlers. It's on him whether he made the call or not.

I don't really think it was "weak", "gutless" or "disgraceful" but it was definitely a tactical blunder. They whole point of shutting up shop should've been to optimise their chances of winning the series, and they didn't do that. If they'd have shut up shop when de Villiers got out, or even before that at tea I would've 100% defended it, but Philander's innings while du Plessis was still in posed a much greater risk of losing than having a go at 16 off 18 balls with 3 wickets in hand would've - even if two of those wickets were Tahir and injured Morkel. It was either a moment of poor judgement from Smith under pressure, or just poor leadership to not a make a call himself.

Lasereyes

Cricket Spectator
It's 100% on Smith. I don't care if he says he left it up to the batsmen in the middle; if anything that makes it worse. When you're the captain and you have such an easy opportunity to send a message out - a new batsman strolling past you to get out to the crease - then you don't leave decisions like that up to your two opening bowlers. It's on him whether he made the call or not.

I don't really think it was "weak", "gutless" or "disgraceful" but it was definitely a tactical blunder. They whole point of shutting up shop should've been to optimise their chances of winning the series, and they didn't do that. If they'd have shut up shop when de Villiers got out, or even before that at tea I would've 100% defended it, but Philander's innings while du Plessis was still in posed a much greater risk of losing than having a go at 16 off 18 balls with 3 wickets in hand would've - even if two of those wickets were Tahir and injured Morkel. It was either a moment of poor judgement from Smith under pressure, or just poor leadership to not a make a call himself.
Very well said. Only thing is FAF was no longer at the crease and if Philander got out at the death, Smith was concerned that 2 or 3 balls could finish it.

Heboric

International Debutant
Its easy to criticize after the fact.

But as a Protea supporter I would have been livid if we had lost, especially in a two match series