• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official India in New Zealand***

Precambrian

Banned
It's probably the lesser of two evils though, because the batsmen will be more used to playing quality seam on a greentop than Harbs+Mishy on a turner. If the pitches are flat and the ball doesn't swing New Zealand will be in the field for days so they won't thank the curator for those pitches either.
Yes. NZ is no match if they decide to go for spin tracks. Their best bet is to prepare seaming wickets and expect India to repeat Ahmedabad 2008 when they got all out for 70 odd against Steyn and Co. But I don't think it will happen this time around. And I predict Sehwag to have a terrible tour, if NZ bowlers bowl full and wide outside off stump, and swing it away.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I disagree vehemently reg Jadeja. From whatever I have seen him in the domestic level, all his high scores were on flat pitches against sub-standard pace bowlers and decent spinners. Exactly the opposite of conditions he can expect in NZ. I don't think he should be anywhere near Test selection or ODIs at the moment.
You don't have other options at present. Irfan hasn't played enough for an emphatic return to form. Yusuf has barely played a season. Besides, Jadeja has had a great season with bat and ball, and it makes sense to take full advantage of it. He won't bat anywhere above six or seven, just like other batting prospects, so deep down there, he's a lot better than in the frontline at four. There may be other options around, but when you have someone dominating the batting and bowling figures of a domestic season, you can't miss that someone so easily- though he's better off in the longer version of the game. Besides, if the pitch isn't heavily in favour of the bowlers, he can do quite well.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes. NZ is no match if they decide to go for spin tracks. Their best bet is to prepare seaming wickets and expect India to repeat Ahmedabad 2008 when they got all out for 70 odd against Steyn and Co. But I don't think it will happen this time around. And I predict Sehwag to have a terrible tour, if NZ bowlers bowl full and wide outside off stump, and swing it away.
Why would they go in for spinning tracks? A lot of their top bowlers are pacers- maybe four out of five. Besides, this Kiwi attack will need a very favourable wicket to pose a real threat to the Indians- Sehwag is, anyway, smart enough to spot the plan, and may just keep pinching singles with Gambhir.

Precambrian

Banned
You don't have other options at present. Irfan hasn't played enough for an emphatic return to form. Yusuf has barely played a season. Besides, Jadeja has had a great season with bat and ball, and it makes sense to take full advantage of it. He won't bat anywhere above six or seven, just like other batting prospects, so deep down there, he's a lot better than in the frontline at four. There may be other options around, but when you have someone dominating the batting and bowling figures of a domestic season, you can't miss that someone so easily- though he's better off in the longer version of the game. Besides, if the pitch isn't heavily in favour of the bowlers, he can do quite well.
Yusuf didnt play the season because he was in the ODI squad.

Personally think Yousuf is still the best option. He has done nothing so far to be chucked out of the ODI squad. Plus his hitting is a big boost in the smaller grounds of NZ. Ishant, Zaheer, Munaf and Harby could make up the bowling. Yusuf the allrounder. Yuvi, MSD, Tendulkar, Sehwag, Gambhir and Raina the batting.

Precambrian

Banned
Why would they go in for spinning tracks? A lot of their top bowlers are pacers- maybe four out of five. Besides, this Kiwi attack will need a very favourable wicket to pose a real threat to the Indians- Sehwag is, anyway, smart enough to spot the plan, and may just keep pinching singles with Gambhir.
Hopefully he will.

Evermind

International Debutant
Hi Precambrian you owe me an avatar for one week, and Voltman for two.

Here's mine:

Let's get to it!

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yusuf didnt play the season because he was in the ODI squad.

Personally think Yousuf is still the best option. He has done nothing so far to be chucked out of the ODI squad. Plus his hitting is a big boost in the smaller grounds of NZ. Ishant, Zaheer, Munaf and Harby could make up the bowling. Yusuf the allrounder. Yuvi, MSD, Tendulkar, Sehwag, Gambhir and Raina the batting.
I'm game for Yusuf as a frontline option, and I believe he should be a full-time all-rounder, and the ODI spot may be his. However, it's still wide open for the Test all-rounder spot, which has been vacant. We keep talking up Pujara, Rahane, Sharma, Yuvraj and of course Badrinath, but that won't help win matches consistently. The immediate benchmark is Team South Africa. They've challenged the Australians so often because they have at least one full-fledged all-rounder in their team. Likewise, even Lankan and Kiwi teams of the recent past have been quite a force to reckon with because of their all-rounders. That's a bit difficult because you don't have Irfan (not played enough), you can't choose Yusuf (not played more than a match), can't pick Sharma (not played for very long), or even Kumar or Powar (batting gone to sleep) or Chawla (bowling not up to the mark). The only option at present is Jadeja- while I agree it isn't much of an option, that's the best for the time being.

Flem274*

123/5
If the pitches are green, whilst I'm very concerned about our batting, the only Indian batsman that would worry me is Tendulkar. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Gambhir has played little outside the subcontinent (so he likely won't have greentop experience yet), Sehwag is a flat track basher, Dravid is in crap form and Yuvrag is more of an ODI man. Oh there's Laxman too, forgot him. Two batsmen that worry me then.

Also, our lot do have experience on greentops at domestic level where Styris-esque bowlers become a threat. Hopefuly they can show that experience. :dry:

Also, while Zaheer and Ishant should be good, if we can't **** all over the likes of RP Singh I will be one unhappy man.

Anyway, this fanboy predicts O'Brilliant to take 15-20 wickets in the series. :p

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If the pitches are green, whilst I'm very concerned about our batting, the only Indian batsman that would worry me is Tendulkar. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Gambhir has played little outside the subcontinent (so he likely won't have greentop experience yet), Sehwag is a flat track basher, Dravid is in crap form and Yuvrag is more of an ODI man. Oh there's Laxman too, forgot him. Two batsmen that worry me then.
You're wrong, and I'm correcting you.

Uppercut

It'll be Munaf Patel who I personally back to flourish.
Hmm, not convinced by Munaf at all. On this particular tour I'd take Praveen Kumar, but the selectors don't seem to like him. Hopefully he tears himself a place in the side in the ODIs.

biased indian

International Coach
I don't see what's wrong with us creating full on green-seamers if that's what Vettori and the Black Caps want. The advantage of playing at home, and I don't see anything wrong with it personally. Prepare pitches that will give us the best chance against India.
No Problem with that ..

and but have seen people jumping the gun for having spinner friendly pitches each country should produce the pitch which it feels should help them in wining... the touring side is supposed to over come that and win the test

Polo23

International Debutant
I get the distinct impression that the Indians on here are writing off New Zealand far too easily. The Indians have never travelled well to NZ. While India should win, they may find it difficult to put away a determined side in foreign conditions.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
plus.. we haven't been stretched recently.. Our batsmen have hardly been tested, including the best ones, of their defensive techniques.. Even in Australia, conditions were largely flat. Extra bounce was there and in MCG, ball did move around a bit but otherwise, we have been playing on very similar tracks most of the time..

Uppercut

I get the distinct impression that the Indians on here are writing off New Zealand far too easily. The Indians have never travelled well to NZ. While India should win, they may find it difficult to put away a determined side in foreign conditions.
Yeah AWTA. India are favourites but it'll be a really awkward one for them.

krkode

State Captain
You really think they're favourites? I fully expect them to capitulate with one win at best.
On a player-by-player basis they most certainly are favorites. It's almost a mismatch, IMO. But knowing how the Indian team has played in NZ in the past, I wouldn't be surprised if we had a scare or even a defeat. But conditions and player form are not quantitative things we can use to compare two teams. It's basically an immeasurable statistic on whether or not any given player can rise to the occasion when presented with a hard task.