• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2020

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
India have bowled really so far, if luck was a bit more there way new zealend very well 2 down right now.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Cricinfo are so bad for this test. Attributed Kohli's wicket to Jamieson in a headline and now say he has his second test 5fer?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Great stuff from the openers, the ball was decking around a lot in the first 15 overs. India definitely helped them out by bowling a bit short after a strong first few overs from Bumrah.

Meridio

International Regular
Yep, it was the classic go-past-the-edge length, about a foot too short. First few overs they were bang on the money, but then just didn't bowl enough balls to hit the stumps. Latham in particular left quite a few on length.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As suspected, inspite of all the grass, the pitch was rather good for batting and our batters let go of a good opportunity. I have always maintained I don't mind the guys who get out in single digits but surely Shaw, Vihari and Pujara should be pretty livid with their shot selections. We have had 3 collapses so far and hence we are playing catch up. Can only pray for a collapse from the Kiwi side tomorrow, otherwise we are done and dusted.

And I still maintain we should play 5 bowlers when looking to win a test. This surface, if it stays this flat and there is not much help from over head conditions, we are in for a 500+ total here from NZ. And given Shami and Umesh are playing, they can get 350 of that tomorrow itself. :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yes, if Bumrah and Ishant were never injured. And I still won't play Jaddu ahead of Ash as the spinner. The reason given was his batting but what is the point of having a guy who can make 100s at 8, if he is followed by 3 filthy #11 sloggers who can't even get behind the line?

And honestly, I think Pant and Jaddu are good enough to bat 6 and 7 in most conditions, so no, I would like us to play 5 bowlers most of the time. If it is an extreme green top, then yes pick 6 batters, let Vihari bowl the spin and get in 4 seamers but even then we will need someone like Bhuvi to differentiate the attack. Right now we got 3 guys who all bowl short of good length, get seam movement (and a "bit" of swing in Umesh) and all who bowl at the same pace and mostly, the same angle... It is not fast enough to blast batsmen out, its not slow enough to get the ball to swing to a decent extent.

Also maybe if Pandya is back I can see us playing Jaddu as the single spinner on a green top or a track that would aid the seamers so much more than spinners but again, most of the time, we should be able to do well with 5 bowlers.

veganbob

U19 Captain
Full credit to Jamieson. I wouldn’t have picked him but that’s a serious performance.

Still, 240 is a decent day 1 score. NZ will need to bat well here. That Watling drop could be critical.

Ur kidding. 240 wouldn't have been a good score in the first test- this pitch /conditions were fairly simple to bat in. India looked very comfortable at 185/4 ,just before tea. 400 would have been par imo. They are atleast 160 short of a good score

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
It's going to be a batting deck by the third session tomorrow IMO. Had a bit in it today though, I'd definitely rather have been bowling seam up on it than doing anything else.
Yes the story of the opening day at this ground about four weeks ago was Michael Rae getting lots of bounce-orientated wickets in the second session. India A were 153/3 in the 41st over and dismissed by the 55th. A 268-run Chapman/Cleaver partnership started building after lunch on day two, spanning the 106th over of the game until the 187th.

https://scoring.nzc.nz/#md3b44507-7050-4a9d-9cad-96a02dbd9181

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, if Bumrah and Ishant were never injured. And I still won't play Jaddu ahead of Ash as the spinner. The reason given was his batting but what is the point of having a guy who can make 100s at 8, if he is followed by 3 filthy #11 sloggers who can't even get behind the line?

And honestly, I think Pant and Jaddu are good enough to bat 6 and 7 in most conditions, so no, I would like us to play 5 bowlers most of the time. If it is an extreme green top, then yes pick 6 batters, let Vihari bowl the spin and get in 4 seamers but even then we will need someone like Bhuvi to differentiate the attack. Right now we got 3 guys who all bowl short of good length, get seam movement (and a "bit" of swing in Umesh) and all who bowl at the same pace and mostly, the same angle... It is not fast enough to blast batsmen out, its not slow enough to get the ball to swing to a decent extent.

Also maybe if Pandya is back I can see us playing Jaddu as the single spinner on a green top or a track that would aid the seamers so much more than spinners but again, most of the time, we should be able to do well with 5 bowlers.
Do you agree or disagree that this test would have gone worse for India (expectedly) if Pant had come in at #6 today?

veganbob

U19 Captain
"Great Team" is a very subjective saying.
India are still quite clearly the best test team in the world. The rankings prove it at this stage.
I just don't think the margin is much and they are still average away from home.

As for "Great team", yes they are a great team . Best in the world and possibly Indias best ever test side.
If you put them in comparison to atg great teams offcourse they dont look that great. Either way I think they are quite a long way off even to be in that conversation.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
Yep, it was the classic go-past-the-edge length, about a foot too short. First few overs they were bang on the money, but then just didn't bowl enough balls to hit the stumps. Latham in particular left quite a few on length.
aka the unlucky "not unlucky" length

slippy888

International Captain
Need to have more agression in there play India showed New Zealand weakness by having to much friendship with New Zealand team.

Flem274*

123/5
gotta put my hand up and admit i underestimated jamieson

i was like 'oh yeah he's meme level tall but he's never had a massive shield season and he's only 125kph. if he adds pace or starts cutting through teams we'll have a look.'

well he's meme tall, 135kph with plans to get faster, bowls to the plan set for him and he's taking wickets.

this guy has serious potential.