• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2020

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It shouldn't be possible to get more points from longer series because that's unfair to the teams who don't get opportunities to play those series because no one wants to play them for series that long
But it's also much more difficult to get those "more points" from a longer series because long series are usually played between Eng-Aus-Ind and it's very competitive. So, if someone does manage to get those points, they very much deserve those points considering how much easier it is to win a short series.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But it's also much more difficult to get those "more points" from a longer series because long series are usually played between Eng-Aus-Ind and it's very competitive. So, if someone does manage to get those points, they very much deserve those points considering how much easier it is to win a short series.
Just reiterates what we've been saying from the beginning. Unless every team plays every other team an equal amount home and away with an equal number of matches, there's always going to be somewhat of an imbalance.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It really shouldn't be difficult for the ICC to mandate 3 test series against every other full member once in 4 years (either home or away - and then alternating from there) - 33 tests over 4 years does not seem too many to me, and need not curtail any of the T20 league participation etc. Can also mandate 4 day tests against the bottom 4t teams as well. Maybe 7 hour days with 105 overs per day, meaning you only lose 30 overs compared to a regular 5 day test but you will miss the 5th day pitch as a factor.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
How can you lose to new Zealand

Fully expect this post to end with underarm
You play us in NZ. We're bloody dynamite here.

SA beat us here in 2016/17, Australia in 15/16, other than that we haven't been beaten at home since Hesson took over in 2012. 15 series, by my count.

Victor Ian

International Coach
This is how things is.

It is test cricket. Suck it up and deal with your unfortunate ****. It may not be your home. It may not swing when you want it to. The spin may come late. The umpire might interfere with your greatness. The rain may rain when it is worst for you. The sun may shine on your opposition as soon as they come out to bat. The light may come and go as you dislike. This ain't fair conditions. A Test Cricket Championship should include an unfair draw as one more thing to overcome.

Flem274*

123/5
nah, if we've seen anything last decade it's that the longer a shambles has the allowance to run, the more likely it is to keep running. sooooo many blowout 5-0, 4-0 type victories.

by contrast i'd be interested to see how many 1-1 two test series there were.

before big 3 fans jump in, im not disputing longer series have a unique challenge. my point is 'long series are hard to dominate, short series are easy' is blatantly not true. some good but not great teams spent last decade steamrolling other decent but not great teams at home.

cnerd123

likes this
The mental grind of a playing a long series is something to consider too. If you've lost the 1st test, you're definitely going to come back harder in the 2nd test if there are no more tests left to play. But if you've got a 5 test series, you need to dig in a little deeper.

Flem274*

123/5
You play us in NZ. We're bloody dynamite here.
they would smash us, like they did when mccullum is captain. in cricket nz is rock to australias sandpaper.

until an nz side let's go of the idea that australia are the ultimate challenge and we need to be at our very best to even compete against australia, we will never compete against australia.

going in not expecting anything at all from ross and his team of 12 year olds and some homely hobart conditions were probably the reason we won that 2011 game. that and ross has massive balls.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
they would smash us, like they did when mccullum is captain. in cricket nz is rock to australias sandpaper.

until an nz side let's go of the idea that australia are the ultimate challenge and we need to be at our very best to even compete against australia, we will never compete against australia.

going in not expecting anything at all from ross and his team of 12 year olds and some homely hobart conditions were probably the reason we won that 2011 game. that and ross has massive balls.
Can't we savour the moment and forget about Australia for a bit....oh wait, we're headed there in 10 days for our token 3 ODIs for the decade. So um, any idea who the current holder of the Chappell Hadlee trophy is?

But yeah, good stuff from NZ as we've come to expect, continuing to put up respectable-or-better performances against any side not named Australia since 2013. Would be cool if they can adapt well enough for the next India tour whenever that is.

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
Nope. Check out any of his other interviews. The guy takes immense pride in test cricket and doing well away from home, is ultra competitive and will want to right a bad record a lot more than saying lazy stuff like " we will see when they come to our place". That is a lot more Gautam Gambhir or Rohit Sharma. IT just shows you have never really followed the guy's career and his interviews.
lol ok. I'm sorry for not following everyone of his interviews, I obviously know nothing. Nah, lets be real here, I don't disagree with your assessment of Kohli taking immense pride in Test cricket and being competitive etc. but to think he's not prone to the odd bout of arrogance and petulance on the field is another thing. A lot of the time those reasons (not saying it's being used here like that) IE "ultra competitive" are used to justify being a dick. Kohli is brash and aggressive, sometimes it spills over. It's ok. No ones saying he's an evil dictator with no soul (that would be Shastri lol).

CharlesLara

U19 12th Man
This is how things is.

It is test cricket. Suck it up and deal with your unfortunate ****. It may not be your home. It may not swing when you want it to. The spin may come late. The umpire might interfere with your greatness. The rain may rain when it is worst for you. The sun may shine on your opposition as soon as they come out to bat. The light may come and go as you dislike. This ain't fair conditions. A Test Cricket Championship should include an unfair draw as one more thing to overcome.
This is how I feel. The idea that everything should be equal is by definition going against the sheer variety that cricket is built upon, particularly Test Cricket. Most of what makes Test cricket great is context and much of that comes from the variety thrown up by some of the games uncontrollable things.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
lol ok. I'm sorry for not following everyone of his interviews, I obviously know nothing. Nah, lets be real here, I don't disagree with your assessment of Kohli taking immense pride in Test cricket and being competitive etc. but to think he's not prone to the odd bout of arrogance and petulance on the field is another thing. A lot of the time those reasons (not saying it's being used here like that) IE "ultra competitive" are used to justify being a dick. Kohli is brash and aggressive, sometimes it spills over. It's ok. No ones saying he's an evil dictator with no soul (that would be Shastri lol).
Generally agree. I've never really warmed to Kohli's conduct as a captain. Not to say that he's Steve Smith or anything. But the way he reacts to his own players making mistakes has never appealed to me.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Generally agree. I've never really warmed to Kohli's conduct as a captain. Not to say that he's Steve Smith or anything. But the way he reacts to his own players making mistakes has never appealed to me.
I definitely feel like he has a negative impact on his players with his aggressive captaincy, as it doesn't really fit a lot of them, and they end up doing worse by trying to keep up with it, He seems to equate a lack of aggressiveness as playing badly (i.e, Pujara), which is such a weird mindset in a game that lasts 5 days. Sure it works for a fair few batsmen, but why shouldn't batsmen who like to grind down the bowlers play that way? If anything it is what they were missing in NZ

TheJediBrah

nah, if we've seen anything last decade it's that the longer a shambles has the allowance to run, the more likely it is to keep running. sooooo many blowout 5-0, 4-0 type victories.

by contrast i'd be interested to see how many 1-1 two test series there were.

before big 3 fans jump in, im not disputing longer series have a unique challenge. my point is 'long series are hard to dominate, short series are easy' is blatantly not true. some good but not great teams spent last decade steamrolling other decent but not great teams at home.
While I think the gist of this post is somewhat accurate, in the context of getting clean sweeps and hence more points from the system under discussion I don't think it's true at all.

If you ran the numbers comparing the percentage of clean sweeps of 2 match series to those in 4 or 5 match series I would bet my house that the 2 match series have a much higher frequency of clean sweeps

edit: if I have misinterpreted the context then I apologise

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

With a quick glance, going back to 2018, the percentages of series resulting in clean sweeps:

2 match series: 53% of series were clean sweeps
4/5 match series: 0% of series were clean sweeps

edit: I went back a few more years and it stays about the same, if anything the % of 2 match series that had a 2-0 result increases even more.

It is pretty apparent that with the system under discussion it is much easier to get more points if you play shorter series. Now the cause is somewhat debatable, ie. is it just correlation and the result of the more competitive teams playing longer series against each other? (given the huge difference in the numbers it seems highly likely that there is causation there)

Regardless of the cause though it doesn't change the fact that teams that play longer Test series will have a harder time accumulating as many points as those playing a majority of shorter series

again I apologise if I've ignored the context here a bit but just thought it was an interesting exercise anyway

Last edited:

DriveClub

International Regular
This is how things is.

I'm not getting the context for this post. What is it about? I just see a lot of words

Burgey

I definitely feel like he has a negative impact on his players with his aggressive captaincy, as it doesn't really fit a lot of them, and they end up doing worse by trying to keep up with it, He seems to equate a lack of aggressiveness as playing badly (i.e, Pujara), which is such a weird mindset in a game that lasts 5 days. Sure it works for a fair few batsmen, but why shouldn't batsmen who like to grind down the bowlers play that way? If anything it is what they were missing in NZ
Pujara basically won them a series here last year.