• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in New Zealand 2020

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Having short series can also be a disadvantage. For instance we lost the 1st test in Sri Lanka thanks to a Karunaratne special but bounced back for a 1-1 series result (60 WTC points) while England lost the 1st test in South Africa but bounced back for a 3-1 series result (90 WTC points). NZ is clearly a better side than England but England were helped by having a longer series.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha I think it's just manifestly, obviously unfair. I understand why they hand out points for each individual game, but I wouldn't do it myself.
I developed a parallel system to the ICC ratings at one point that I think would probably actually work even better as a parallel WTC system. Remind me to post about it when I'm not arguing with a literal tankie on Facebook about the personhood of octopuses.

Flem274*

123/5
Having short series can also be a disadvantage. For instance we lost the 1st test in Sri Lanka thanks to a Karunaratne special but bounced back for a 1-1 series result (60 WTC points) while England lost the 1st test in South Africa but bounced back for a 3-1 series result (90 WTC points). NZ is clearly a better side than England but England were helped by having a longer series.
yeah this too

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Wikipedia Article said:
If two teams are tied on points, the team that won more series shall be ranked higher. If teams are still equal, then the team with the higher runs per wicket ratio shall be ranked higher. The runs per wicket ratio is calculated as runs scored per wicket lost, divided by, runs conceded per wicket taken
Great, England through to the final over NZ obviously now.

Frost

U19 Debutant
This isn't how it works at all. Each series is, as a whole, worth the same number of points as any other series. The points are then divided evenly between each individual match - so a Test win in a 2-match series is worth 2.5x a win in a 5-match series.
Ah thanks for the clarity. Seems fair, you only get two tests.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kohli and Rahane have to take the majority of blame for this series loss I'm afraid. The team batted like absolute spuds (with strengthened batting depth as well) and these are the experienced guys.

Is our next Test series away in Australia or do we have anything else scheduled before then?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Kohli and Rahane have to take the majority of blame for this series loss I'm afraid. The team batted like absolute spuds (with strengthened batting depth as well) and these are the experienced guys.

Is our next Test series away in Australia or do we have anything else scheduled before then?
Next is 4 games in Aus, don't know why india is coming over here for a second time instead of us touring.

vcs

Nah.. willing to bet it won't be. :)
It won't go much different to how NZ fared this summer if they don't show the appetite to grind it out for long periods with the bat. Australia, more than any other venue arguably, awards attritional cricket. Going to be very difficult to see out those Cummins/Hazlewood/Starc/Lyon spells unless the application improves a lot from what they've shown in this series.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Our attrition is not the problem. Our techniques in handling swing + seam together are. Any place where you get both seam movement and swing defeats our team. CdG for example was swinging it out but then bowled one that hit the seam and jagged back in. It was delivered with typical outswing so Kohli was all around it when he played. If you look at most others, it is the same problem. In India, it is usually only seam movement with the new ball and then reverse swing with the old. We don't often have venues where you get both. That is why NZ and few venues in RSA are always our Achilles Heel. Do maintain we should have won in England though. That has a lot of swing but hat is something our bowlers can use well too, and that English batting line up was not great in that series.

One crapinfo writer brought up an interesting point too. For a place that we suck so much in, we play long form cricket in NZ very very rarely. Once in 5 years, that too just over two test series is not gonna help any of our blokes. We have all these A tours but we often see that the pitches are much different for those than the tests. I hope we play a proper 3 test series at the very least next time we tour here with a couple of practice games thrown in. Would also help if we split up the LO tour and the test tour to seperate years, I feel.

Daemon

Congrats NZ!!! An absolute spanking here. Continued to own the 3rd innings and grabbing the game breaking moments. Its amazing how in both games at some point in the 3rd innings it always felt India could even win and then NZ just stormed through.

I don't want to repeat myself all over again but I feel playing with 4 bowlers just so that we can include one more iffy batsman in the side away from home has cost us enough. Time to own the fact that we will need 5 bowlers to at least give our bowlers the best shot at bowling the opposition out. Maybe once Pandya is back the balance will be sorted out for SENA conditiions but even now, I would rather play 3 seamers + Ash and Jaddu than play one more batsman who is gonna make 10 runs, make a **** all difference in the field and cannot bowl. None of our batsmen seem capable outside of Kohli in SEN conditions, and when he is in bad form, like in this series, we just get shown up. Time for tough questions to be asked of Rahane, I feel. Has been coasting along on middling performances even at home.

For NZ, glad to see them discover an exciting talent like Jamieson and its always good to see Boulthee going well, they are a class act, especially in their own conditions. NZ have done pretty well overseas as well except against the big 3 and SA, if I am not wrong. So its good to see them get into the table for the WTC as well.
Genuinely don’t understand how you think dropping a batsman is the solution after looking at scores of 190, 160, 240 and 130.

sunilz

International Regular
Take away ODI and T20 captaincy from Kohli. Too much power has gone in his head.
Remove Shastri as coach.
And bring back Kumble to keep Kohli in check.

Neptune

State Vice-Captain
Who was the bellend Indian fielder that shouted ‘two’ when Latham and Blundell were running 1 at the start of the chase? Poor form that from the Indians, showing their true colours this test with all the poor behaviour.

Spark

Global Moderator
Q: As written i don't think the new rule does this, but surely the fake two call is the sort of thing that the five penalty runs should be awarded for?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
The Indian team has been winning all matches and series so consistently for the past few years. One 2 test series loss won't get me worried. Kohli himself has accepted the blame and am sure he and the team will come out stronger. The India-Australia series is going to be a battle of the ages. With Marnus in the mix, the Australian line-up looks so strong and I just hope Bumrah is back to his menacing best when we get there.

vcs

Our attrition is not the problem. Our techniques in handling swing + seam together are. Any place where you get both seam movement and swing defeats our team. CdG for example was swinging it out but then bowled one that hit the seam and jagged back in. It was delivered with typical outswing so Kohli was all around it when he played. If you look at most others, it is the same problem. In India, it is usually only seam movement with the new ball and then reverse swing with the old. We don't often have venues where you get both. That is why NZ and few venues in RSA are always our Achilles Heel. Do maintain we should have won in England though. That has a lot of swing but hat is something our bowlers can use well too, and that English batting line up was not great in that series.

One crapinfo writer brought up an interesting point too. For a place that we suck so much in, we play long form cricket in NZ very very rarely. Once in 5 years, that too just over two test series is not gonna help any of our blokes. We have all these A tours but we often see that the pitches are much different for those than the tests. I hope we play a proper 3 test series at the very least next time we tour here with a couple of practice games thrown in. Would also help if we split up the LO tour and the test tour to seperate years, I feel.
Yeah they'll face less lateral movement in Australia but they were also crap against the short ball including Kohli. That'll be ruthlessly exposed by Australia's attack.