• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in England

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
Yup. The one good thing about this series for England is that it just might wake up the management to how far off the pace we are nowadays. Of course, whether Moores is intelligent enough to recognise that remains to be seen. The fact that Prior is still in the XI makes that highly unliklely imo. Ditto the fact that our openers are either unwilling or unable to address the faults that have been apparent all series (and in Strauss' case long before then).

In truth, it's probably going to get worse before it gets better for us. SL will probably slaughter us on their own patch, and NZ are more than capable of taking advantage of the sort of half-baked cricket that we've seen over the last 2 years. Ditto SA next summer. I can't see that test cricket is going to be a pretty sight for English supporters over the next few years.
Agreed.

England do not have a test standard wicket keeper batsman, they county standard batsmen who can keep. Simply play the best wicket keeper which is by a very long way Chris Read.

With all players fit I think this team should be tried:

Trescothick
Cook
Vaughan
KP
Shah
Bell/Bopara (Bopara if Bell continues his bad form)
Flintoff
Read
Harmison
Hoggard
Panesar

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Trescothick
Cook
Vaughan
KP
Shah
Flintoff
Read
Harmison
Hoggard
Panesar
For Tresco, Flintoff and Hoggard, can you be a realist and suggest a squad that have players fit most of the time, moreso for Tresco. Though, I can see Hoggard coming back soon and I do have my doubts about Flintoff.

Harmison? I think its time to try something new.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Agreed.

England do not have a test standard wicket keeper batsman, they county standard batsmen who can keep. Simply play the best wicket keeper which is by a very long way Chris Read.

With all players fit I think this team should be tried:

Trescothick
Cook
Vaughan
KP
Shah
Flintoff
Read
Harmison
Hoggard
Panesar
Bit harsh on Collingwood isn't it?

pasag

RTDAS
Right don't mean to drone on about this but:

Fox Sport 1: Rugby Union
Fox Sport 2: Premier League
Fox Sport 3: Golf

I mean, cmon!!!

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
For Tresco, Flintoff and Hoggard, can you be a realist and suggest a squad that have players fit most of the time, moreso for Tresco. Though, I can see Hoggard coming back soon and I do have my doubts about Flintoff.

Harmison? I think its time to try something new.
As for Hoggard I think it is fair to say he will be fit most of the time, this recent injury crisis is his first. I think I'm right in saying he has played more consecutive tests than anyone else. He's shouldn't be put in the same group as Tres and Freddie.

Harmison? Granted, I did initially put Tremlett then Anderson there but just went for the easy option. Plunkett needs two another two seasons of county cricket before he plays Tests again imo.

Flintoff? Well who knows, we'll have to see as far as he is concerned. I think if he's fit, which he appears to be currently, he should be named in any potential England side. I think it is too soon to name squads as if he's finished.

I was thinking Tres if he's fit and Strauss hasn't improved. Denly is a candidate averaging 51 but is 16 FC matches enough experience? I'd rather keep Vaughan at number three and not have him open.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Fair enough on all accounts bar Tresco and possibly Freddie.

I like to use a 'if tomorow' mentality.

Who knows if Denly is experienced enough? But if England were to play Sri Lanka tomorow, I'd have him opening (not on my own accord, but I'm assuming Tresco would opt out).

As for Harmison, I think its time for England to stop *****-footing around and go one way or the other. As you say, Tremlett would be the safe candidate for the time being, but give Mahmood a year of county and I think he'll be worthy of another chance - thus far, his form from surgery seems above average.

As you said with Freddie, 'who knows'. If anythnig, he's in the same predicament as an prospective opener, just in a augumented way. I think he's only played 2 county games since his return from injury.

Matt79

Global Moderator
So is Broad ever going to get a chance or what? Sounds like he has a bigger potential upside than Tremlett or certainly Anderson, but he seems to be the last cab off the rank in terms of the current potentials...

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
So is Broad ever going to get a chance or what? Sounds like he has a bigger potential upside than Tremlett or certainly Anderson, but he seems to be the last cab off the rank in terms of the current potentials...
You say 'ever going to get a chance' he's only 21, as much potential as he's got it's not like his county form is demanding a Test call up. Tremlett is currently a better bowler with room to improve imo. In fact I could Tremlett becoming a very good international bowler.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Re his age - that's true. He's been mentioned as potentially the next big thing for at least a couple of years now, so I guess I was surprised when pretty much the entire England first choice attack fell over injured and he still didn't get a game. I've not seen much of either Tremlett or Broad, but would it be fair to say that Broad's style is more likely to be successful outside of England?

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
I'd be dropping Bell before I dropped Collingwood.
Much to be said for that point of view. Bell has been poor for a while and Collingwood hasn't been that bad at all.

However Collingwood is currently as good as he will ever be and Bell is, despite recent form, maturing into a quality player. Maybe more county cricket for Bell.

Maybe Shah at 5 and Collingwood at 6 or visa versa.

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
Re his age - that's true. He's been mentioned as potentially the next big thing for at least a couple of years now, so I guess I was surprised when pretty much the entire England first choice attack fell over injured and he still didn't get a game. I've not seen much of either Tremlett or Broad, but would it be fair to say that Broad's style is more likely to be successful outside of England?
not sure.....whether Broad's gunna perform better..outside England......but,yeah .. he has age on his side.....N' ther is no need ov picking him..ova Tremlett now......cos if he performs .. he'll play for years......And on d othr side .. Tremlett's/AnyAged cricketer's career wud looking lik ending......so we can give Broad sumtime .. before his debut......N' dun let him b an injury prone lik others.......he's jus 21 now !!

pietersenrocks

U19 Vice-Captain
Much to be said for that point of view. Bell has been poor for a while and Collingwood hasn't been that bad at all.

However Collingwood is currently as good as he will ever be and Bell is, despite recent form, maturing into a quality player. Maybe more county cricket for Bell.

Maybe Shah at 5 and Collingwood at 6 or visa versa.
why r u dropping Bell&Colly..??Is ther any need ov doin it now???

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
not sure.....whether Broad's gunna perform better..outside England......but,yeah .. he has age on his side.....N' ther is no need ov picking him..ova Tremlett now......cos if he performs .. he'll play for years......And on d othr side .. Tremlett's/AnyAged cricketer's career wud looking lik ending......so we can give Broad sumtime .. before his debut......N' dun let him b an injury prone lik others.......he's jus 21 now !!
English please.