• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

pasag

RTDAS
Hogg's last chance really, you'd think. MacGill will be back by Pakistan and WI so if Hogg doesn't impress at Adelaide, that'd be it, sadly.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hogg's last chance really, you'd think. MacGill will be back by Pakistan and WI so if Hogg doesn't impress at Adelaide, that'd be it, sadly.
Bad move. Even Warne (or MacGill) did crap against India - no better than Hogg. They should keep him on for one more series against some other opposition.

Warne vs. India in Australia: 5 matches @ 62.55
MacGill vs. India in Australia: 4 matches @ 50.78

India just play spin too well, especially leg spin. How were those two any better?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Bad move. Even Warne (or MacGill) did crap against India - no better than Hogg. They should keep him on for one more series against some other opposition.

Warne vs. India in Australia: 5 matches @ 62.55
MacGill vs. India in Australia: 4 matches @ 50.78

India just play spin too well, especially leg spin. How were those two any better?
Hogg only came in due to injury in the first place, though. It's not like the selectors have backed him as the first choice spinners, which would make it a totally different situation. If you come in for an injury, you have to impress or you'll lose your spot when the injured player is available again.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Hogg only came in due to injury in the first place, though. It's not like the selectors have backed him as the first choice spinners, which would make it a totally different situation. If you come in for an injury, you have to impress or you'll lose your spot when the injured player is available again.
Yea, but its not a fair chance IMO. Not saying selectors will think this way - but you can't really judge him on this performance.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yea, but its not a fair chance IMO. Not saying selectors will think this way - but you can't really judge him on this performance.
That's true, but he hasn't done anything in the series to get himself above MacGill in the pecking order. It's not like he's being dropped because he did poorly - he simply hasn't done anything in the series to leapfrog MacGill. If this series didn't exist, I still don't think Hogg would be playing the next game, so even if you view it as a total write-off, he's not going to be selected.

pasag

RTDAS
As discussed on MSN, talking from a selectors viewpoint here - he had his chance he wasn't able to make the most of it so they'll go back to MacGill.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Before the over:

Kumble to Ishant: Ek aur karega? (Will you do one more?)
Ishant: Ha, karunga (Yes, I will do it)

I love this kid.
Think Sachin was telling Kumble that Ishant needs to bowl a lot today and that 9 overs on the trot would be too much for him.

Sehwag seemed to come up and say that while that is true, Ricky Ponting is at the wicket and so we shud give another over to Ishant. Kumble said that he will do one more and bingo!!!! :)

One of the great moments in my time of watching cricket...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Oh, and his S/R has been: 0.00, 34.37, 15.38, 42.68, 36.53,43.67. I knew it was lower, but that's ridiculous - considering he is as ugly as ever to watch. But good on him for at least trying to change his game up.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pretty poor comment given most Aussie fans here are being pretty gracious, AND agreed that the umpiring in Sydney was poor. Just enjoy your team doing well rather than being bitter.
AWTA... Although I found that some Aussie posters were making unfair digs about how Kumble was going about it all, I think, most, if not all, Aussie posters here have been pretty gracious in admitting that the umpiring did favour them an awful lot and a number of them have accepted that we were basically robbed in Sydney of a draw.... I guess Cevno hasn't really read up in the thread.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Bharani... thoughts on your earlier call to ask Dravid to be dropped?
I said that at the time, he looked out of form and he looked as though he was getting stuck in a rut... For me, it is not doing the team much good to have a guy like that playing at an unfamiliar position, esp. such an imp. one as opening. I will always maintain that it was the wrong call. Either play him at 3 or 5 or wherever, or else just drop him....

That said, it says loads about the character of the man, the way he has worked himself through and out of that terrible form slump to his present state. Don't think too many players around the world could have done that. I remember Hayden doing well in the last test in the 05 Ashes, but he was overcoming basically ONE particular technical shortcoming. Dravid has risen even higher in my estimates as a cricketer and as a person, tbh..... :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Think Sachin was telling Kumble that Ishant needs to bowl a lot today
I don't have a lot of problem with this particular x player said this to y player I think post but a lot of times it turns out to be baseless gossip which is irritating. For instance, you went on for ages how there were divisions in the seniors of the team and all. Ganguly said in a recent interview on Star Cricket to Bhogle that they two never had any troubles and were the best of mates. Jono pointed once too to you saying the I think x group and y group have m tension going that a lot of times it is just baseless. Just wanted to say it... don't take it as an attack or any thing as we are good mates... Cheers.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I take it that appeal was in the spirit of cricket, Mr Kumble?

The one constant in the human condition - hypocrisy.
I don't think he was referring to THOSE appeals when he talked about the spirit of the game and Australia.

Anyways, most ppl here (esp. the better posters and I include you amongst them here) have moved on, I guess it is time for you to do the same. I think you have beeen a little uncharacteristically bitter and defensive about the whole issue from whatever posts of yours I have read in the thread so far and you are perhaps the last person I would have expected that from amongst the Aussie posters... :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't have a lot of problem with this particular x player said this to y player I think post but a lot of times it turns out to be baseless gossip which is irritating. For instance, you went on for ages how there were divisions in the seniors of the team and all. Ganguly said in a recent interview on Star Cricket to Bhogle that they two never had any troubles and were the best of mates. Jono pointed once too to you saying the I think x group and y group have m tension going that a lot of times it is just baseless. Just wanted to say it... don't take it as an attack or any thing as we are good mates... Cheers.
nope, seemed to hear it on the stump mic when they played it in STar Cricket.

Anyways, I don't see what is particularly wrong about what anyone of those guys had supposedly said... Sachin was giving his 2 cents and SEhwag his, AFAIC and Kumble juz decided to go with Sehwag's idea this time.... Not sure why it is wrong... And I did say "Think" at the start of the post.. So it is obvious that it is only speculation on my part as one can't be sure of the voices in the stump mic when it is that low...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I said that at the time, he looked out of form and he looked as though he was getting stuck in a rut... For me, it is not doing the team much good to have a guy like that playing at an unfamiliar position, esp. such an imp. one as opening. I will always maintain that it was the wrong call. Either play him at 3 or 5 or wherever, or else just drop him....

That said, it says loads about the character of the man, the way he has worked himself through and out of that terrible form slump to his present state. Don't think too many players around the world could have done that. I remember Hayden doing well in the last test in the 05 Ashes, but he was overcoming basically ONE particular technical shortcoming. Dravid has risen even higher in my estimates as a cricketer and as a person, tbh..... :)
Yeah thanks for your thoughts. He has been so awesome, hasn't he. I do share (and shared) the same views that they shouldn't have asked him to open though I didn't support dropping him. One of the highlights of the series have been how Dravid has made runs despite poor form and has been battling himself out of form in this series. Great man. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
not at all, mate. I want the side to be united just as much you and Jono would. Nothing would make me happier than to be proved wrong about all that. I juz commented on things as I saw them back then and to me, even now, during the WC, the side did look a little DISJOINTED. As I said, I have never really seen Sachin show so little activity while fielding as far decision making and ideas are concerned as during the WC. And while what Ganguly has said may well be true, we have also heard public retorts about Chappell and his ways from the likes of Ganguly, Sachin, Harbhajan etc... And Dravid has praised Greg Chappell quite a bit... That is why one tended to think on those lines.

But if you notice during the England tour thread, I did mention that the team was very united and that even IF there has been any bitter feelings between the seniors in the past, they seemed to be out now... Cheers... And hope you celebrated the win as well as we did in Chennai. :)

pasag

RTDAS
Is it me or has Dhoni's keeping been very solid all series? :-O I don't remember talking about it.
Yeah, was thinking this like five minutes ago, he has been great all series. Certainly seems to improve by the series (although didn't see him against Pakistan, how was he there?). I also have a theory about the Sky cameramen focusing on keepers a bit too much as opposed to the Nine ones, but that's for another time.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
nope, seemed to hear it on the stump mic when they played it in STar Cricket.

Anyways, I don't see what is particularly wrong about what anyone of those guys had supposedly said... Sachin was giving his 2 cents and SEhwag his, AFAIC and Kumble juz decided to go with Sehwag's idea this time.... Not sure why it is wrong... And I did say "Think" at the start of the post.. So it is obvious that it is only speculation on my part as one can't be sure of the voices in the stump mic when it is that low...
As I said in my post, I don't have any problem with you on this particular incident. It was team mates giving constructive suggestions and nothing wrong with it either. Just at times, you speculate too much for my liking. It is a general comment and not on this particular incident. Many people do it mind. I like to reserve judgement more often than not. I guess you are different which is just fine. Nothing against you, I reiterate. Just wanted to express what I felt.

Last edited: