• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in Australia Thread

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Really? I can name you a ton which have gone in favour of New Zealand, England, South Africa, Pakistan, West Indies, Zimbabwe and even - say it ain't so - India.
And Sri Lanka, too.

Reminder.. fire the best umpires in the World and you get left with Asoka. Not good.

jagaways

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
maan...stupid ponting. watta loser. seriously, the amount of times he should've been out. the lbw was 'iffy' and prob right decision, but he was dropped by sehwag and that was a regulation catch. oh well. surprised by steve waugh's dismissal...was it laziness or lack of reflexes.... :S well anyway, the indians have to focus on getting rid of gilchrist early tomorrow if they dont want things getting out of hand. a first innings score of 500 is chaseable by this indian batting lineup, but once u get to 600+ theres too much pressure and too little time...somebody tell ganguly to BOWL TENDULKAR! he neeeever bowls him!

Kenny

U19 Debutant
I see two scenarios.....1) Australia bat on, Ponting turns his hundred into a BIG double, and Gilchrist gets a big score, India in just after tea chasing down 600+, or 2) India bowl really well and Aus all out for 500 or less.

Sad that Katich and Martyn threw away their wickets.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Am i the only one here who thinks that LBW was plumb? It hit him between off and middle , stride wasn't big , legstump was visible, no problem with the height,etc,. Don't know what more you want. Add to that AA bowls from close to the stumps. Everyone of the ESPN-STAR crew were convinced it was plumb. The crew constituted of Akram, Gavaskar, Shastri, Boycott , Chapell , Bhogle , etc,. Maybe the Channel 9 didn't stress much on it. I didn't watch the match after that but i read online that Kumble had a close one against Ponting not given to him. The luck is not going India's way in this series:(

CDAK

U19 Debutant
vishnureddy said:
Am i the only one here who thinks that LBW was plumb? It hit him between off and middle , stride wasn't big , legstump was visible, no problem with the height,etc,. Don't know what more you want. Add to that AA bowls from close to the stumps. Everyone of the ESPN-STAR crew were convinced it was plumb. The crew constituted of Akram, Gavaskar, Shastri, Boycott , Chapell , Bhogle , etc,. Maybe the Channel 9 didn't stress much on it. I didn't watch the match after that but i read online that Kumble had a close one against Ponting not given to him. The luck is not going India's way in this series:(
No Reddy, I also believe it was plump.(saw the match in STAR sports).India has to consider themself unlucky(..Buckner..please come back...).Obviously, Channel 9 might not have given enough stress to that.
But I have to comment on Indian bowling...it was third class..:!( . Bangladesh would have done much better than this. Pathan seems pretty ordinary.he is not having a pace bowler's momentem.Just like Ganguly bowling in left hand.
Why didn't Saurav give ball to Sachin???? :!( Still the cold war is going on???:!(
Let's see if it's a batting paradise when India bats..
Well done Aus..well done Katich( but don't wish to congratulate Ponting)

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
CDAK said:
No Reddy, I also believe it was plump.(saw the match in STAR sports).India has to consider themself unlucky(..Buckner..please come back...).Obviously, Channel 9 might not have given enough stress to that.
But I have to comment on Indian bowling...it was third class..:!( . Bangladesh would have done much better than this. Pathan seems pretty ordinary.he is not having a pace bowler's momentem.Just like Ganguly bowling in left hand.
Why didn't Saurav give ball to Sachin???? :!( Still the cold war is going on???:!(
Let's see if it's a batting paradise when India bats..
Well done Aus..well done Katich( but don't wish to congratulate Ponting)
Pardon? Sachin Tendulkar bowling? :O Sure, he can chip in with a couple of overs, but don't expect him to take wickets. Relax, I'm pretty sure Ganguly knows what he's doing.

Don't expect too much of Pathan yet, he's only 19 and has time to work on his physique - then the speed and momentum will come. He's taken huge amounts of wickets at U-19 level, and does pretty well at FC too. And yes, I know the only 19 excuse is old, but remember he is only in the XI because Zaheer and Harbhajan are both injured. Besides, any bowler who gets Matt Hayden out has talent in my book.

Anyway, encourage your prospects, don't write them off. You'll earn from it in the long run. Same with young Patel (although amits has been the one to really write him off).

And I want to congratulate Punter - great innings when the Aussies needed it most (and I needed it too for the predictions :D)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Samuel_Vimes said:
Pardon? Sachin Tendulkar bowling? :O Sure, he can chip in with a couple of overs, but don't expect him to take wickets. Relax, I'm pretty sure Ganguly knows what he's doing.
Um, the guy has 28 Test Wickets, and 113 in ODIs including 4 four-wicket hauls.

He knows what he's doing with the ball and can mix up OS, LS and RM to reasonable effect. Should have been used today IMO with the rest of the attack inconsistent and erratic.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
Um, the guy has 28 Test Wickets, and 113 in ODIs including 4 four-wicket hauls.

He knows what he's doing with the ball and can mix up OS, LS and RM to reasonable effect. Should have been used today IMO with the rest of the attack inconsistent and erratic.
I stand corrected on that then. This isn't an ODI though...28 Test wickets in 108 Tests is OK, but maybe Ganguly's thinking of resting him so he can bat with all his strength in the Indian innings.

CDAK

U19 Debutant
Samuel_Vimes said:
You've, for sure, underestimated Sachin's bowling capability.He turns( both ways) the ball better than any spinner in the Indian team now( Aus knows that better). If Sehwag can bowl, sure Sachin can do far better.( no matter whether he gets thrashed,since the opening bowler AA had given more than 5 per over.). Those who know Sachin , wouldn't have told this.

Don't expect too much of Pathan yet, he's only 19 and has time to work on his physique - then the speed and momentum will come. He's taken huge amounts of wickets at U-19 level, and does pretty well at FC too. And yes, I know the only 19 excuse is old, but remember he is only in the XI because Zaheer and Harbhajan are both injured. Besides, any bowler who gets Matt Hayden out has talent in my book.
Yeah..taking Hayden's wicket in debut is great achievement and he almost got Ponting too. But was not impressive at all in the later overs. Let's see how much fight left in him.

And I want to congratulate Punter - great innings when the Aussies needed it most (and I needed it too for the predictions :D)
While congratulating Ponting, u should thank Sehwag and Shepherd...:lol:
For me, it looked ordinary from Ponting comparing to the talent he's got.:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
CDAK said:
You've, for sure, underestimated Sachin's bowling capability.He turns( both ways) the ball better than any spinner in the Indian team now( Aus knows that better). If Sehwag can bowl, sure Sachin can do far better.( no matter whether he gets thrashed,since the opening bowler AA had given more than 5 per over.). Those who know Sachin , wouldn't have told this.
He's Norweigan. He's allowed to say daft stuff :)

Ponting agrees with you btw, CDAK, he reckons he's got a lot more in the locker :)

CDAK

U19 Debutant
Samuel_Vimes said:
I stand corrected on that then. This isn't an ODI though...28 Test wickets in 108 Tests is OK, .
28 in 108 is a far better performance compared to the number oppertunities he gets and most of these are break- through wickets. Only once he bowled more than 15 overs in an innings.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
CDAK said:
You've, for sure, underestimated Sachin's bowling capability.He turns( both ways) the ball better than any spinner in the Indian team now( Aus knows that better).
Erm...Anil Kumble?

OK, sorry that I underestimated Tendulkar's bowling (consult head before fingers...remember that now), but I think Kumble has the edge on leg-spin just yet. Tendulkar might be a better off-spinner though.

Originally posted by Neil Pickup
He's Norweigan. He's allowed to say daft stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was quite interesting listening to Richie Benaud talking about the conversation he'd had with Sachin.

It went something along the following lines:

RB: You know, you have all the makings of a fabulous all-rounder.
ST: Really?
RB: Definitely. Your spin bowling could be improved quite easily
ST: You mean that? How?
RB: Absolutely. All you've got to do is work....
ST: Bye

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
CDAK said:
28 in 108 is a far better performance compared to the number oppertunities he gets and most of these are break- through wickets. Only once he bowled more than 15 overs in an innings.
His strike rate is 88.9 - almost twice as much as the full-time bowlers - and that as you will know takes into account how many balls he bowls and therefore the number of opportunities he has. As for the breakthrough wickets, though, I can agree. He seems to be just the guy to put an experienced batsman out of his game (Gibbs on 196, Hayden lbw on 67, Border for a duck, Slater, Inzamam on 51, Langer on 223, Hooper on 136)

He is a very useful part-timer though, and much better than I thought him to be. Ah well, we live and learn...

CDAK

U19 Debutant
Samuel_Vimes said:
Erm...Anil Kumble?

OK, sorry that I underestimated Tendulkar's bowling (consult head before fingers...remember that now), but I think Kumble has the edge on leg-spin just yet. Tendulkar might be a better off-spinner though.
If u call shane warne a leg spinner, then it 'll be very difficult to call Kumble the same.He normally turns 30% of what Shane does, rather Kumble concentrates on bounce and length.
Sachin gets 80% of shane's turning and 60% Abdl Quadir's googli and 60% Murali's off-spin. (sachin started imitating Shane while he bowls leggies now a days).So what do u call him , offie or leggie?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
amits said:
i cant understand y does everybody want me to be unpatriotic.
There's a difference between being unpatriotic and being ignorant.

No-one would ever accuse MB of being unpatriotic, for example.