• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia 2014-5

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chappell's Dhoni hate is glorious and I wish I could listen to it.

Also Lawry apparently took a dig at Healy's bias today in commentary.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Chappell ramps up the aggression-attitude-gottabemacho agenda and the fawning over of players who display those traits to incredibly infuriating levels though.

Would rather listen to Nicholas cheerleading.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have noticed that Indian commentators at Star Sports get a bit more biased when both the commentators in the box are Indian.

dognutz

U19 12th Man
The crap that's going on out there doesn't even qualify as sledging anymore. Just a bunch of self-important arseholes making a lot of fuss over nothing. I'm tuning in less and less and getting bored more and more...yawn

How many sleeps to footy season?

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Have noticed that Indian commentators at Star Sports get a bit more biased when both the commentators in the box are Indian.

I dont think they get biased.. They just tend to concentrate more on the Indian players than the opposition.. which is what I meant by saying the commentary was understandably India-centric, but for the most part, surprisingly impartial..

EDIT: I have only seen their commentary in this test and that is what I am talking about here.. Not sure how they are all the time..

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
Chappell ramps up the aggression-attitude-gottabemacho agenda and the fawning over of players who display those traits to incredibly infuriating levels though.

Would rather listen to Nicholas cheerleading.
mick nicholas could be so great if he stops cheerleading for aus . extremely knowledgeable about the game,has all the commentary cliches and seems to have fair non ludicrous opinions about most cricket related stuff hes the ideal anchorman.
I mean the cheerleading for aus was atleast acceptable few years ago when gilchrist and ponting were teeing off but when he calls aaron paul finch 'what a cricketer'......

dognutz

U19 12th Man
mick nicholas could be so great if he stops cheerleading for aus . extremely knowledgeable about the game,has all the commentary cliches and seems to have fair non ludicrous opinions about most cricket related stuff hes the ideal anchorman.
I mean the cheerleading for aus was atleast acceptable few years ago when gilchrist and ponting were teeing off but when he calls aaron paul finch 'what a cricketer'......
I didn't mind Nicholas in the past but he lost me for good after Aussies won 1st test. He was interviewing Clarke within minutes of what was an emotional game amd had to ask him how much Phil Hughes death was a motivating factor FFS!! Clarke deflected him like a flick to fine leg stating he didn't want to go there because he was sick of people watching him cry on tv.

What a dick

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Generally speaking, there will always be some bias if you're commentating for the side you used to play for; at best it might be superior knowledge of home players/ lack of knowledge of OS players, at worst its overt cheerleading for the home team.

I think CW, because of the nature of the site, is pretty astute at sorting **** from shinola when it comes to commentary, but we are also collectively pretty fussy about it.

I have to say though, I've not seen so much overt general public hostility towards the channel nine commentary team as I have in the past 12 months. People are really expressing how ****ty they are very openly via FB, Twitter, on radio etc. I mean, if Bill Lawry of all people is pulling someone up for bias....

There's no doubt in my mind the cheerleading and dumbing down is largely a directive from management, but how much of it comes from complacency on the comms part and longevity? I recall when Healy and Slater first went into the commentary box, and tbh they were ****ing excellent. They knew their OS contemporaries and had interesting views on them, Healy's analysis of keeping and of IDing weaknesses in batsmen was amazing; Slater called it as he saw it and his nervousness actually worked for him because he took his time to get things right before popping off at the mouth. Likewise, when you hear Mark Nicholas analyse a batsman during a ODD game, he's superb - the bloke clearly knows his ****. Yet come the first international game of the year and it's all rah rah. ****ing annoying. And they've all been there ages now - they're in a secure job. I think there's a bit of laziness creeps in.

Everyone has their biases. Generally the biases of the commentators annoy you more when they are biases in favour of the team your side is playing against. But the current lot are the pits.

I've always loved Bill Lawry - just his sheer enthusiasm for the game shines through even after years of commentary. And he's biased - massively so. But he's also not afraid to call it as he sees it. I flat out nearly shed a tear yesterday when I heard him say of Marsh "There he goes; he breaks the shackles". Just vintage stuff. You won't remember many of the current lot for their signature lines, will you?

/rant

Midwinter

State Captain
Re the C9 commentary
It's managements directive to have the commentary at a level that people who know nothing about cricket can understand,
When WSC started C9 needed to get an audience during weekday afternoons, which would be stay at home women, so the director gave his mum a phone and told her to ring up every time the commentators said something she didnt understand.
C9 commentary is understandable at that level.
For an aussie, the relevation was when SBS had the Ashes series from England instead of C9 and had the BBC commentaryTo hear Benaud away from C9 was a revelation and instantly made you realise why the man was so popular in England, instead of being the best of a bad bunch over here. (it actually pi**ed me off that we had missed out hearing all that good commentary over so many years)

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They should have two audio stream levels on the remote - Amateur and Connoisseur. I would also appreciate a third one - Pothead - starring the whimsical elucidations of Ranjit Fernando and Navjot Singh Sidhu.