• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* - ICC Inter-Contential Cup 2005

dro87

U19 12th Man
chaminda_00 said:
But if you guys win the ECC Trophy don't you guys qualify for the Div 2 Championship and play aganist Associate sides. I think the Associates and Affiliates works ok in the other regions but it is a bit of a joke in the Asia. Also isn't the first level sides in Europe (Ireland, Holland, Scotland, Denmark) are a fair distance in standard to the 2nd Level. This was proabably shown by Italy's performance in the ICC WQS.

Italy went really bad(won only 1 game)... for 2 simple reasons... JC Scuderi played only 2 games and A. Din(fastest bowler ever to play in Italy, played FC in pakistan) was injured in the hole tournament...
However every year Italy won at least 1 game in the first side levels... ECB XI, Denmark, and Holland... Plus by winning this years european div 2 next year we play in div1...
Italy is much better than the rest of the div 2 countrys, just look at last year's results...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
I hate how county and other FC Teams have control over a player's availabilty for the ICC Trophy and Inter-Contenial Cup.
Why?

Which team pays their wages and why should they give these players up for what is a fairly insignificant tournament in the grand scheme of things?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Samuel_Vimes said:
That's a point, of course.

However, even though he has talent, there's a few guys in the line ahead of him...
To be honest, I don't think he'll be far off a tour spot at the end of this summer.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Why?

Which team pays their wages and why should they give these players up for what is a fairly insignificant tournament in the grand scheme of things?
Cus their is more to cricket then the 10 teams that play Test Cricket, in the greater scheme of thing not releasing guys like Dan van Bunge, JB Burger, Ed Joyce will reduce the chances of their respective teams taking part in the World Cup.

When it comes to the Inter-Contential Cup how are teams every going to reach Test or ODI Standard unless they get to play their top sides. What the big deal about missing one or two games in the bigger scheme of things.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The big deal is that these players are being paid by the county, and the county is the one that's done all the training etc of them (in the case of someone like Brown it's for nigh on 15 years they've invested in him)

The County Championship is a bigger competition than this Inter-Continental thing anyway.

Also add in that as a number 6 batsman and opening bowler, that's a huge hole to fill.

SpeedKing

U19 Vice-Captain
My beloved Uganda seem to be going down, top effort though bowling out Kenya for 116 in their 2nd innings.

Chaminda_00, Junior Kwebiha is the name you were looking for. He is the teams main allrounder and also plays for the Ugandan basketball team. [not relevant to topic but oh well, thoght i might say it]

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
The County Championship is a bigger competition than this Inter-Continental thing anyway.
Playing for your national team is always more importent then playing for a club, regardless of the standard of the international competition. It still the top 11 of one country verus the top 11 of another country.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The first day of the 2nd IC game just took place between UAE and Hong Kong. Hong Kong got rolled for 126 with only two batsmen getting into double figures AG Gunthorpe (38) and Ilyas Gul (32*). The wickets were shared by the UAE bowlers with their captain Mohammad Tauqir taking the most wickets, 3/31. In replay UAE are 7/127 with Khuram Khan getting a fifty, with only three other batsmen getting into double figures. Khan 50 is his 3rd in four games, he also took two wickets in Hong Kong innings. Looks like a decent all rounder at this level. The main wicket takers so far for HK was Gul with 3/16 off 10, including the wicket of Khan. Looks like a spinners paradise with majority of wickets falling to spinners.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
The first day of the 2nd IC game just took place between UAE and Hong Kong. Hong Kong got rolled for 126 with only two batsmen getting into double figures AG Gunthorpe (38) and Ilyas Gul (32*). The wickets were shared by the UAE bowlers with their captain Mohammad Tauqir taking the most wickets, 3/31. In replay UAE are 7/127 with Khuram Khan getting a fifty, with only three other batsmen getting into double figures. Khan 50 is his 3rd in four games, he also took two wickets in Hong Kong innings. Looks like a decent all rounder at this level. The main wicket takers so far for HK was Gul with 3/16 off 10, including the wicket of Khan. Looks like a spinners paradise with majority of wickets falling to spinners.
Well, it is Sharjah...

Khuram Khan took 4/32 against Sri Lanka in the Asia Cup (all right, it was Gunawardene, Dilshan, Kandamby and Murali, but decent effort from ten overs).

Ali Asad is a decent fast bowler as well, should be interesting to see what he can do in Namibia.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
Playing for your national team is always more importent then playing for a club, regardless of the standard of the international competition.
If it's a full on International yes.

This, however, is not. It's nothing more than a First Class game, and therefore has no real significance compared to playing for the side that pays the wages.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:

This, however, is not. It's nothing more than a First Class game, and therefore has no real significance compared to playing for the side that pays the wages.
As i said earlier it doesn't matter what status the ICC give it is still the top 11 vs the top 11 of two country. Also the boards do pay some wages for playing, that why the Kenyan players went on strike they weren't getting paid.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Samuel_Vimes said:
Well, it is Sharjah...

Khuram Khan took 4/32 against Sri Lanka in the Asia Cup (all right, it was Gunawardene, Dilshan, Kandamby and Murali, but decent effort from ten overs).

Ali Asad is a decent fast bowler as well, should be interesting to see what he can do in Namibia.
Don't count your chickens before they arte cooked, they still have to make it to Namibia. Remember Nepal made it to the Super 8s of the last U19 WC, if some of their players have matured more since then they could beat UAE, also this game is pretty close.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:

I would not give away an opportunity for palying for my country for any thing. Be it at cricket, kabaddi, or any other game.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
chaminda_00 said:
As i said earlier it doesn't matter what status the ICC give it is still the top 11 vs the top 11 of two country. Also the boards do pay some wages for playing, that why the Kenyan players went on strike they weren't getting paid.
Kenya are a full ODI side though - almost all the rest aren't, and they have very little money.

And the ICC status of the game is a huge pointer as to its significance.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Kenya are a full ODI side though - almost all the rest aren't, and they have very little money.

And the ICC status of the game is a huge pointer as to its significance.
Kenya aren't a full ODI side anymore or did you miss that.

The fact that it still the top 11 v another top 11 still makes it more importent then a county game. Playing for your country should be more importent then anything even money.

12th Man

U19 12th Man
i suppose being english i should hate the scots cricket team. but i want them or holland to win.

sadly, i don't thinkl the competition will take as much importance this year, with mostof the teams focusingon the icc trophy. I am sure they would rather qualify for the world cup than win this.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
UAE win the their first game against Hong Kong by 7 wickets.

The highlights of the game were Ilyas Gul 5/16 (11) in the first innings and Khuram Khan two fifties, inlcuding a 55 not out in the second innings to help them get over the line and his match figures of 5/55.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
3rd Match of the InterContential Cup between HK and Nepal finally started yesterday after the first day and most of the second day rained out. When play did start HK got rolled for 91, with Nepal captain Binod Das the chief destory calming 6/29. With only one day left i would think that Nepal would try and get 300 plus runs and full batting points, to go with their bowling pts.

Kenya and Namibia also rescheduled their match for June 2-5, they were meant to play in Feb but it got cancelled.