• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Gibbs Ban Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Posting in this thread because so as not to clog up the official Pakistan vs South Africa thread. Anyway, seeing your comments in that thread, care to explain?

Oh yeah of course, I'm a bleeding heart because I'm offended by people making negative stereotypes about something that I am and cannot change.

Haha no. Seriously, no. How are you any worse than BhupinderSingh etc.?

Pretty much sums it up there. As far as I'm concerned, there's no way you can defend the comments themselves, no matter what the intention behind them was. Doesn't stop some people trying though.
So youre offended by Gibbs' comments because you think they were aimed at you?

How about, whilst ur waiting for an apology from him, you apologise to the entire South African nation for the comments of those losers at the ground. After all, using your logic, they were criticising everbody in SA

Slow Love™

International Captain
So youre offended by Gibbs' comments because you think they were aimed at you?

How about, whilst ur waiting for an apology from him, you apologise to the entire South African nation for the comments of those losers at the ground. After all, using your logic, they were criticising everbody in SA
Maybe it's time to take a break from the subject, mate. Your posts on this matter are getting fairly nonsensical, IMO.

social

Maybe it's time to take a break from the subject, mate. Your posts on this matter are getting fairly nonsensical, IMO.
Sorry but the notion that Gibbs was applying a racial slur to an entire country simply because he addressed 3 or 4 individuals by their nationality is absolutely ludicrous.

As I've said earlier, penalise him for bringing the game into disrepute, etc but there is absolutely no evidence that he was applying a derogatory racial stereotype.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Look, 'those ****ing bastards over there are acting like animals' is different from '****ing pakistanis' '****ing go back to the zoo'. Either you see the difference, or you don't. If you don't, well I don't think anyone can change your mind.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sorry but the notion that Gibbs was applying a racial slur to an entire country simply because he addressed 3 or 4 individuals by their nationality is absolutely ludicrous.

As I've said earlier, penalise him for bringing the game into disrepute, etc but there is absolutely no evidence that he was applying a derogatory racial stereotype.
I personally don't think there's enough to prove that's what Gibbs was intending, but don't act as if it's ludicrous that it could be taken that way. Think about just about any environment, where somebody says "****ing Asians" or "****ing Africans" or whatever, even if it's only addressing a small group of people actually present. It's going to get people's back up, and in most cases, rightly so. I would argue that it doesn't always mean what it might look like, but you can't blame people for responding with hostility to the comments, and serious questions will be asked. Dasa himself has said he doesn't really believe the worst was intended by Gibbs, but he (and others) is having a go at you because you are reaching so hard to defend the comments, to the point of irrationality.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Look, 'those ****ing bastards over there are acting like animals' is different from '****ing pakistanis' '****ing go back to the zoo'. Either you see the difference, or you don't. If you don't, well I don't think anyone can change your mind.
I don't disagree, but did Gibbs actually make both those comments? Maybe I've gotten confused.

social

I don't disagree, but did Gibbs actually make both those comments? Maybe I've gotten confused.
According to the SA camp, Gibbs was abused by a group of Pakistani supporters whilst fielding at third man

Upon returning to a position near the stumps, he referred to "f'ing Pakistanis", "acting like a bunch of animals", "should be returned to the zoo."

Unless evidence appears to the contrary, most people would assume that he was referring to the group on the boundary

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
According to the SA camp, Gibbs was abused by a group of Pakistani supporters whilst fielding at third man

Upon returning to a position near the stumps, he referred to "f'ing Pakistanis", "acting like a bunch of animals", "should be returned to the zoo."

Unless evidence appears to the contrary, most people would assume that he was referring to the group on the boundary
He was certainly provoked by the fans there, but that doesn't excuse him saying something like ****ing [a whole religion/nation/race] instead of '****ing assholes those guys.'

Anyway, like I said, by now you either think so or not. I don't think we'll be able to convince each other. And just to clarify again, I don't think he is racist, he just got angry. But to deny his comments were bigoted is inaccurate in my opinion. But to each his own, I guess.

It's like lets say I was annoyed at a couple guys at a boundary who were all black. Its one thing to say 'those ****ing assholes' and quite another to say '****ing blacks' '****ing belong in a zoo'. There is a difference, even though they are black (accurate) and they may be acting like assholes, it is very different to say 'blacks' then those specific fans, because by saying 'blacks' or 'australians' or 'jews', etc...you are including a whole bunch of other people.

Not sure what else to say TBH.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Maybe I should have been clearer - I wasn't asking what was said, I was asking if Gibbs made both those comments. I was under the impression that the outbursts were a conversation between two players, and that one made the zoo comment, and the other (Gibbs) made the "****ing Pakistanis" remark. At least, that's how I saw it reported. Is that incorrect?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Maybe I should have been clearer - I wasn't asking what was said, I was asking if Gibbs made both those comments. I was under the impression that the outbursts were a conversation between two players, and that one made the zoo comment, and the other (Gibbs) made the "****ing Pakistanis" remark. At least, that's how I saw it reported. Is that incorrect?
The full comments were something like:

Gibbs: ****ing animals.
Someone else (Boucher?):: Like hyenas
Gibbs: ****ing go back to the zoo. ****ing Pakistanis.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Anyway mate, I know you've been copping a lot from a lot of Asians (not all) on the board, but you have to understand that a lot of us disagree with you on the context as most times when we hear the comments, they are very much racist and/or bigoted. That's all.

I know you disagree, and that's cool. I wish people could take these comments and just laugh them off, and hopefully one day they can, but as of now when people hear this it is invariably associated with racism in society because thats how a lot of racists talk. And when these types of comments are made, there is usually a lot of hate behind it. I'm sure Gibbs didn't have the hate, but it is impossible not to think of hate when hearing something like that. That's where the beef lies. I haven't seen many people accuse Gibbs of being racist (at least most people on this board have gone out of their way to clarify that, including me), but I don't see how I can interpret the comments themselves as anything but bigoted.

Anyway, time for my nap. Not sure what else I can add to this discussion.

Last edited:

Slow Love™

International Captain
The full comments were something like:

Gibbs: ****ing animals.
Someone else (Boucher?):: Like hyenas
Gibbs: ****ing go back to the zoo. ****ing Pakistanis.
Ah, fair enough. I thought the other player had contributed the "zoo" part.

Incidentally, in some places, the final comment is being reported as "It's not ****ing Pakistan, this", which is probably worse. I listened to the clip you linked to with the volume right up and it did sound a lot like that, but Gibbs' accent makes it a little ambiguous for me.

Slow Love™

International Captain

I was only inquiring as to whether it was Gibbs alone that made the two comments, which SS clarified.

I think we all understand that the comments were in response to the spectators on the boundary and not directed specifically towards the Pakistan players. I don't think anybody's disputing that.

a10khan

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah a shameful act by Gibbs and he shd have got longer then 2 matches. You just cant say that. Shoaib just sweared at Paul Adams once and he got banned. Imagine what would have happened had Shoaib cursed "F******* South Africans bunch of jerks" or something to that tune.. he would have been banned no doubt and fined heavily, and the media would have been haywire with that incident. What Gibbs did was shameful, the game doesn't need this nonsense. Players shd know how to behave themselves, at least to an extent, and not act like uneducated ruffians.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah a shameful act by Gibbs and he shd have got longer then 2 matches. You just cant say that. Shoaib just sweared at Paul Adams once and he got banned. Imagine what would have happened had Shoaib cursed "F******* South Africans bunch of jerks" or something to that tune.. he would have been banned no doubt and fined heavily, and the media would have been haywire with that incident. What Gibbs did was shameful, the game doesn't need this nonsense. Players shd know how to behave themselves, at least to an extent, and not act like uneducated ruffians.
If he was abused by the crowd, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

C_C

International Captain
It is not and i've already explained to you why it is not.
I've also told you why saying 'f-ing Canadians' or 'f-ing Quebecois' on national tv will constitute a verbal offence from your part.
There is no if and or buts in this. It has been very clearly explained- you just dont wanna accept it because of your nature of supporting arguments/people based on ethnocentric lines.

social

It is not and i've already explained to you why it is not.
I've also told you why saying 'f-ing Canadians' or 'f-ing Quebecois' on national tv will constitute a verbal offence from your part.
There is no if and or buts in this. It has been very clearly explained- you just dont wanna accept it because of your nature of supporting arguments/people based on ethnocentric lines.
Sorry but getting on national tv or radio and making a catch-all phrase like those above when potentially addressing millions of people is a totally different scenario

BTW, just why would I be supporting Gibbs (and I'm not sure whether my calling for penalties based on reasons other than racism is much help to him anyway) if it was purely on the basis of ethnicity - the guy is a colored

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
He was certainly provoked by the fans there, but that doesn't excuse him saying something like ****ing [a whole religion/nation/race] instead of '****ing assholes those guys.'
He wasn't talking about an entire religion/race/nation, he was talking about a select group of people. I would have thought that's pretty clear by what he said, its just a fair few people want to try and find a way to think its insulting to the entire nation. It isn't, the players was being provoked, and Gibbs was simply talking to a team mate and calling the guys in the crowd animals.

It is that simple.

telsor

U19 12th Man
NB. This is a general comment, not specifically on this case.

In a competition where teams represent countries, where does barracking against the other team and their supporters cross the line to racism?

To me at least, "F**king Pakistani team/supporters" is ethically a lot different to "F**king Pakistanis", but it's very easy to shorten the former into the latter and wind up being misconstrued.

Last edited: