• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fourth Test at Trent Bridge

greg

International Debutant
Seemed like a slightly strange time to announce his retirement to me. Unless he had always intended that he was going to retire at the end of the series, which may well have been the case. Otherwise could have easily just announced he was stepping down as captain, but leave the retirement decision until later (even if he ultimately decided it was the right thing). Still i'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Nah 60-all-out killed him. Captains don't come back from that, especially when the series is lost too. Ponting was basically dead and buried after the 98-all-out at the MCG leading to the Ashes loss in 2010/11.

In the eyes of Australian casual fans, we should permanently be dominating world cricket. It's a culture of excellence, and when we don't excel, it's always someone's fault. "We're just not as good as they are" is never an option.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
The article I read indicated he was told he wouldn't be picked post Ashes. Dire if true. He isn't the biggest problem in the top 6 about also lose Rogers.

greg

International Debutant
Nah 60-all-out killed him. Captains don't come back from that, especially when the series is lost too. Ponting was basically dead and buried after the 98-all-out at the MCG leading to the Ashes loss in 2010/11.

In the eyes of Australian casual fans, we should permanently be dominating world cricket. It's a culture of excellence, and when we don't excel, it's always someone's fault. "We're just not as good as they are" is never an option.
I'm not sure if that is response to me, but it was the full retirement announcement that i was slightly surprised about (assuming it wasn't always intended), not the stepping down from the captaincy. Whether you agree it was sensible or not, Ponting carried on long a fair time after he stepped down as captain.

Flem274*

123/5
with all these knee jerk changes australia are off to a strong start in their effort to lose a test series to bangladesh

Stace

First Class Debutant
Remember people hammering the hiring in the general forum, but the bowlers clearly like him and Broad credited him with his left hander tactic which has been massive. He has done great.

Superb effort overall, in general it has been a low run scoring series and whenever that is the case England have a chance. Bowlers have been great as a unit, Root looks a genuine world class player (although needs a good series abroad to rubber stamp it). We still have plenty of holes (opener, wicket keeper, spinner) but going in the right direction.

Australia have plenty of good young players, just about finding a more durable method when the pitch is doing a bit which they can do going forward.

Clarke one of the greats, loved watching him bat and I'd like him to get a Sky commentary gig in a few years time.
My thoughts about Clarke too, hope we get him and Ponting next time instead of that **** Warne.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Congratulations to the English. Knocked the wind out of Aussies without Jimmy is no mean feat for this unit.

Disappoint to see Clarke go. They should beg Rogers to stay. Buy him a new house or something.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think this is true to a degree for casual fans of all nations. It's just that with Australia, not being the absolute best and losing the Ashes to a better team is the boundary you don't cross, in other countries like Pakistan, losing 0-3 to a much improved Bangladesh is the boundary you don't cross.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i hope rad haddin announces his retirement and gets picked for the last test and everyone goes nuts.

and then haddin sues CA for being dropped in the first place and wins 15 million and starts a coaching school.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
with all these knee jerk changes australia are off to a strong start in their effort to lose a test series to bangladesh
For all of Australia's awfulness away from home, I still don't see that happening.

ODI series (if it happened) ? yes
Test series - no

91Jmay

International Coach
No way Australia would lose a test match to Bangladesh. They aren't losing 20 wickets without scoring at least 650 runs, and the Deshis aren't going to put their bowlers under pressure like we could consistently this series.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No way Australia would lose a test match to Bangladesh. They aren't losing 20 wickets without scoring at least 650 runs, and the Deshis aren't going to put their bowlers under pressure like we could consistently this series.
Nah, they are #MustafizurBlackMagic

Niall

International Coach
Nah, they are #MustafizurBlackMagic
Can we delete all other posts in the forum and just keep this one?
Can't wait to see the most important cricketer of his generation dazzle the Aussies with his vast array of magical cutters.

Believe in Mustafizur.:thumbup1::toot::horse:

BeeGee

International Captain
Maybe not a loss, but I could see a drawn series. Anyway, it'll be an interesting series to watch as Australia will have some changes to make.

Oh, and congrats to England on that ashes thingy.