• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Ruckus

International Captain
I think Doherty is probably a better option than Hauritz, but seriously why not O'Keefe!!!! Both are slow left-arm orthodox, yet O'keefe has a far better record and can really help the batting line-up. And Siddle in for Harris, why??

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Would have preferred O'Keefe over Doherty and Copeland over Siddle, but meh. Fingers crossed for Smith over North.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hauritz better try and whore himself out to as many t20 franchises as possible, because his days as a professional cricketer in Australia are numbered.

flibbertyjibber

So the spin options are a guy who averages 48 and a kid who has just been belted all over Tasmania by the guy you Aussies don't rate.:laugh:

Feel for Hauritz,the whole thing has been handled so badly.

howardj

International Coach
I think Doherty is probably a better option than Hauritz, but seriously why not O'Keefe!!!! Both are slow left-arm orthodox, yet O'keefe has a far better record and can really help the batting line-up. And Siddle in for Harris, why??
Exactly mate. And we know what O'Keefe can do against the full-strength English batting lineup, as we saw it yesterday. A very economical display, picks up four wickets, and two of those were top order players. Plus, he has youth on his side.

Ruckus

International Captain
Exactly mate. And we know what O'Keefe can do against the full-strength English batting lineup, as we saw it yesterday. A very economical display, picks up four wickets, and two of those were top order players. Plus, he has youth on his side.
Yeah but at the same time I think the role the spinner is going to play in the Gabba has been overhyped. The fast bowlers really should be able to dominate most of the proceedings, so given that, a spinner should be chosen with other useful attributes as well - most importantly good batting. Probably the worst thing about the omission of Hauritz tbh is that he was quite handy with the bat, and Doherty less so.

Woodster

International Captain
Is Smith going to be a better option in place of Doherty then ? Few overs of leg-spin, and batting at number 8 strengthens the batting at least. Can't imagine he'd bat much higher than that yet.

flibbertyjibber

Is Smith going to be a better option in place of Doherty then ? Few overs of leg-spin, and batting at number 8 strengthens the batting at least. Can't imagine he'd bat much higher than that yet.
Bit negative picking that many bats though.Says a lot about the lack of faith in a number of the top 6 if they go in with that.Almost as if they would be playing for a draw from the start of the game.

Woodster

International Captain
Bit negative picking that many bats though.Says a lot about the lack of faith in a number of the top 6 if they go in with that.Almost as if they would be playing for a draw from the start of the game.
Was just going with the theory of including a spinner that has other strings to his bow. Yes I agree with you it would be a bit negative, and a move I can't imagine they'd make. I'd be pretty pleased if they went in with Smith, but can't see it.

Ruckus

International Captain
If it was up to me (given the announced squad), I'd play Smith at 8, use his bowling sparingly, and rely on the pace attack with an major role for Watson. If anything will let us down this Ashes it will almost certaintly be out batting.

Julian87

State Captain
Reckon they'll pick Smith to bat 8 and bowl part time with North. They'll back the 3 seamers + Watson to take the wickets and Smith there sures up the batting.

Don't agree with it but I reckon it's the way they'll go.

Siddle as the 4th seamer, don't reckon they'll play 4 now. With a fit Harris I reckon they would have.