• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the Oval

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
That was hilarious. To think that Australia will spend the next two and half years thinking how they lost the ashes. Chances are Clarke will regret this series forever.

Compton

International Debutant
Warne on commentary acting as if not picking Siddle was the reason England won at Trent Bridge.

Sure it wasn't the 60 all-out, Shane? Also, weren't you the one furious about the decision to pick him yesterday? :laughing:

Spark

Global Moderator
Warne on commentary acting as if not picking Siddle was the reason England won at Trent Bridge.

Sure it wasn't the 60 all-out, Shane? Also, weren't you the one furious about the decision to pick him yesterday? :laughing:
If we'd bowled like this at Edgbaston that would have been a serious contest tbf.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No I mean I predicted Johnson struggling but I can't remember if I said Siddle should have been playing.
Pre-series you seemed to want neither (advocated Harris-Starc-Haze) but after Harris pulled out you said:

BTW I'm going to put this out there to be mocked come series end but I'd rather have Siddle bowling in England over Johnson.
So yeah, you wanted Siddle.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A bit disappointed by the day's play I must admit. I enjoy watching England get smashed as much as anyone, but today's play basically guaranteed that Clarke has already played his last innings.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
A bit disappointed by the day's play I must admit. I enjoy watching England get smashed as much as anyone, but today's play basically guaranteed that Clarke has already played his last innings.
He never enforces the follow on and even if he does we will score 600, giving him the chance to make 8 en route to defeat

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
That was hilarious. To think that Australia will spend the next two and half years thinking how they lost the ashes. Chances are Clarke will regret this series forever.
Mixed feelings on both sides, to be sure. Aus enjoying the moment but wondering how on earth they lost three tests to a team that can play as abysmally as this. England's enjoyment of regaining the urn to some extent tarnished by a reminder that we really aren't very good unless a couple of our star players perform like minor deities and the opposition has an off day. If we hadn't somehow won the series, 4 or 5 of the side would be lined up for the chop for their performances over the last five tests.

I suppose the other good news from an English pov is that Aus performing like this means we won't have to listen to so many people writing off the series win as being simply down to Australia being hopeless.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
Time for a bit of over simplification by stats...

This series has just been Smith V Root.

Runs scored per match:

Test 1 - Smith 66, Root 194 - England victory.

Test 2 - Smith 273, Root 18 - Australia victory.

Test 3 - Smith 15, Root 101 - England victory.

Test 4 - Smith 11, Root 130 - England victory.

And test 5 is heading the same way with Smith kicking Root's ass. Two batting lineups hugely dependent on a single world class batsman to carry them.

Last edited:

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Time for a bit of over simplification by stats...

This series has just been Smith V Root.

Runs scored per match:

Test 1 - Smith 66, Root 194 - England victory.

Test 2 - Smith 273, Root 18 - Australia victory.

Test 3 - Smith 15, Root 101 - England victory.

Test 4 - Smith 11, Root 130 - England victory.

And test 5 is heading the same way with Smith kicking Root's ass. Two batting lineups hugely dependent on a single world class batsman to carry them.
It's never that simple but you may have a point.