• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lolz. Yeah, maybe.

Starc only bowled half an over of ordinary stuff, it was way too early to compare him to Bird I thought.
It doesn't reflect well on either that they both look better when the other is bowling.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He's surely better than Lee but the selectors adored Lee so not sure if he actually would have.
Lee was better than Harris no matter which way you look at it IMO. Harris has only been anything even resembling a Test standard bowler for a really short portion of his career and his body can't really handle what he has to put it through to get there. Lee for all his faults was certainly a Test standard bowler for a very long time, and on top of that I actually think he was actually every bit as good as Harris is now for a season or two towards the end of his career anyway.

Harris shouldn't get rated higher because he protected his average by being too crap to make the side earlier on.

Uppercut

Lee was better than Harris no matter which way you look at it IMO. Harris has only been anything even resembling a Test standard bowler for a really short portion of his career and his body can't really handle what he has to put it through to get there. Lee for all his faults was certainly a Test standard bowler for a very long time, and on top of that I actually think he was actually every bit as good as Harris is now for a season or two towards the end of his career anyway.

Harris shouldn't get rated higher because he protected his average by being too crap to make the side earlier on.
Yeah I agree, I just didn't really interpret the question that way. Not accounting for injuries, the Harris of right now is a better test bowler than Lee was for a good 80% of his career.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Excellent first ball, drawing the edge. I think Forkers is a chance of getting Root LBW here.

Spikey

I mean, that middle part of Lee's career (02-05) where he sucked, sure, Harris was better, but the other parts....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I agree, but not accounting for injuries, the Harris of right now is a better test bowler than Lee was for a good 80% of his career.
The Harris of right now is a better Test bowler than Harris was for a good 80% of his career too though. :p But yeah, there's no doubt that the current version of Harris would've improved a lot of recent past Australian side, even a lot of excellent recent past sides.

I just think we're sometimes in danger of over-rating lame bloomers by comparing their averages to those of players who had long careers. If you want to judge players primarily on how good they were at their peak then that's absolutely fine, but anyone who says Harris was better than Lee when their careers are said and done is comparing Harris's peak to Lee's entire career, which isn't really fair at all. Lee certainly had a peak the length of what Harris's whole Test career will be that was every bit as good as what Harris is doing right now IMO and if Harris played as many Tests as Lee did at the same ages etc he'd probably have a Test career average of about 45.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

I mean, that middle part of Lee's career (02-05) where he sucked, sure, Harris was better, but the other parts....
England fans won't rate Lee that highly anyway as he averaged 40 against us. Pretty poor that but obviously he had a much better record against others.