• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Riggins

International Captain
Just got soaked coming home from uni. Pouring. I'm not sure if there will be much play today.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To save me wading through the impenetrable bits of cricinfo, is there a good reason this game is starting on a Wednesday?
They've purposely done it so that the inevitable final day finish clashes with the ACC U23 cup finals. Those bastards.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
NUFAN: I think this left hander against Swann thing may change a little now, we have picked two left armers, who are going to run straight into where Swann will pitch the ball to RHs, although I've argued with mods over it I still think Swann is a significant threat to RHs this game with those footmarks, I hardly think Faulkner being a RHer is gonna help tbh.
Perhaps. Time will tell. If we bowl last its unlikely to hurt us as much as it could potentially cause England problems.

Cowan isn't that bad against spin actually. Has one of the better game plans against it.
I completely disagree that Cowan isn't bad against spin. His game plan might be passable but his execution is not.

Still doesn't make him a batsmen. No message really sent when the batsman dropped knows it not a permanent selection policy.
The message is that Cowan or Hughes or Khawaja can't just stay/walk back into the team all the time as others will be given chances. Of course if Faulkner performs well here, it could mean that Watson is on the outer in Australia which I'm sure some on here wouldn't mind.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Don't see what's wrong with the Aussie selections really, they've got balance - 10 guys who can't bat and 10 guys who can't bowl. Sounds fine to me.

Spikey

I'll tell you what though, it puts pressure on his own players to walk. Almost ramming it down their gobs that they have two options:

a) walk, or;
b) don't walk and you're on your own.

Imagine if Arthur pressured players to walk. Like, seriously, imagine the outcry

ajdude

International Coach
from the sounds of it kerrigan and woakes playing. guessing prior bats 6, woakes 7, and kerrigan in for bresnan?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
They must be expecting the pitch to be a real bunsen. I though Kegga was no chance for a game they just wanted him around the squad ahead of winter

ajdude

International Coach
but their changes kinda make sense, it's not like they have a fourth seam option (well, or fifth) like we do (trott doesn't ****ing count). they probably wanted to play kerrigan but didn't want to go in with two seamers, and woakes is a decent bowler and a more than capable middle to lower order bat

that's if it's woakes for bairstow and kerrigan for bresnan ftr

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Love Kerrigan but really don't think he's ready for Test match cricket yet and this selection has come from absolutely nowhere. Also feel sorry for Tremmers if Woakes has got the nod instead of him.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Noofers, what are your experiences of seeing Forkers against spin bowling?
I last saw him in the Shield Final where he handled Hauritz quite comfortably, but facing Swann in a Test match is a different story, so I'm interested in seeing how he goes.

I've obviously watched him in ODI's too, not that I think they mean that much, the only International match I haven't seen of Forkers was his International debut lol.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
oh no it isn't that, it's just that the mods tend to have been here a while and are thus excellent posters, have the same problem with guys like Benchy and Son of Coco
Creep:p

Really not sure about these debuts. Yet it's right Woakes get's a go with the red ball I suppose, as that's where his best bowling comes from, not convinced myself though, that he's an International cricketer.

Kerrigan doesn't excite me either, would have rather had Monty, despite all the problems.

Yet we'll see prove me wrong boys.:cool:

benchmark00

I last saw him in the Shield Final where he handled Hauritz quite comfortably, but facing Swann in a Test match is a different story, so I'm interested in seeing how he goes.

I've obviously watched him in ODI's too, not that I think they mean that much, the only International match I haven't seen of Forkers was his International debut lol.
During that final he predominately played against seam bowlers. Hauritz in fact only bowled 14 out of close to 100 overs for the innings.