• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The thing that would've pissed me off the most if I was a United fan was Casemiro during the offside goal. He gives the ball away in such a dangerous area and instead of working hard to get back and attempt to rectify it he barely breaks a jog, doesn't get back in time then lets his man run right past him without effort to cross unimpeded. Pathetic display.
Yeah 100% agree. I think that’s what made me this
The **** is wrong with United here though? I’d be fuming if our ragtag outfit passed the ball like this
Not to sound like a broken record but I don’t see how it’s offside either. Roma had one that seemed identical later on and it stood. I just don’t think I’ll ever be on board with these micro lines for offside via VAR.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Okay, I watched a 20 minute highlight package and I mostly agree with you. On the first I don't think De Gea is at fault at all. The pass is there, Maguire is asking for it and gets the pass with time and clean. All he has to do is turn.
De Gea should have known Maguire is far too **** to receive the ball in that situation. I thought they were about equally at fault.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Maguire is to playing what Lampard is to managing. May he play forever.
Agree with Coz here; really looks a different player for England than his does for ManUre.

Looks genuinely arse for United. Dunno, maybe it's a confidence thing? Southgate obviously trusts him, picked him even when he was playing like a bag of spanners on the rare occasions he actually played for his club.

EDIT: By that logic, maybe Arbuckle would be like a combo of Alf Ramsey and Guardiola managing England?!?

Molehill

International Captain
Agree with Coz here; really looks a different player for England than his does for ManUre.

Looks genuinely arse for United. Dunno, maybe it's a confidence thing? Southgate obviously trusts him, picked him even when he was playing like a bag of spanners on the rare occasions he actually played for his club.
It's weird, he is thoroughly dependable for England but looks lost for Utd.

I wonder if it's down to the keeper. Pickford maybe suspect, but he's decent with the ball at his feet and perhaps that gives Maguire more confidence than De Gea. You could also add that Stones is a million times better than Lindelof too.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
It's always funny looking at Maguire's expression.

It's like he knows he's on a football pitch but he doesn't seem to know why.

Uppercut

You need to be aware of your team-mates' limitations. Asking Maguire to receive the ball facing his own goal with 3 men closing him down is a bad decision. In the same way that playing a looping cross to a 5"6 striker would be a bad decision.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
You need to be aware of your team-mates' limitations. Asking Maguire to receive the ball facing his own goal with 3 men closing him down is a bad decision. In the same way that playing a looping cross to a 5"6 striker would be a bad decision.
The pairing have a history of blunders. I didn’t realize it until I saw a Twitter post that listed some of them. Someone had a clip from years ago of DDG smashing the ball out of play rather than pass to Maguire which was pretty funny.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm in two minds about this. I ultimately think you're right, but having to be aware of a teammate's limitations is one thing, and having to play in the knowledge that your teammate is genuinely crap and a disaster waiting to happen is another.

Making reasonable adjustments to accommodate a player's limitations and make sure they aren't exposed makes sense. But when the limitations are so severe it means you actually can't play your intended style this is pretty bad times.

Uppercut

Sevilla are praying for De Gea to play that pass. The whole premise of pressing is to get players in positions like Maguire was in because they’ll make big mistakes.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Could be an ACL for Leah Williamson, oh dear.
Such a shame. With Beth Mead also out of the WC, we'll be without, arguably, our two most important players. My view is that the recent drop in the team's performances has owed more than a bit to Mead's absence. Kelly really isn't in the same class, iconic euros winning goal celebration aside. Going back to Williamson, she is such an impressive performer, and her response to this was as classy as ever. She'll be sorely missed.

Last edited: