• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The biggest sign that it's over is the fact that Sarri himself seems to be resigned to it imo. Bloke's talking in pressers about how nobody is motivated etc. Writing on the wall right there.
Sarri has always been like that. Dude is a massive downer and always says what's on his mind regardless of whether he should or not.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Maybe, not a good look though. It's definitely not the done thing over here, and it's only helping to pile the pressure on.

Niall

International Coach
If Luke Shaw was not so hopeless going forward, he'd be one of the best full backs in the world.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Chelsea's problem seems to me to be a complete over-reliance on Eden Hazard.

He's had 2 great seasons in the last 5 where Chelsea have won the title, and that's 3 seasons where it looks like they'll struggle to finish top 4.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chelsea's problem seems to me to be a complete over-reliance on Eden Hazard.

He's had 2 great seasons in the last 5 where Chelsea have won the title, and that's 3 seasons where it looks like they'll struggle to finish top 4.
Yeah you might be right. I think it's deliberate, the midfield is packed with players that are great at shuttling the ball to the feet of better players. Hazard isn't getting the job done at the moment, but he did when Giroud was in the team. It all loops back to Sarri's weird selections.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I've not watched them that much this year, but in the moments of the Man City match before they totally went to pot, the tactic clearly appeared to be "give the ball to Hazard".

Wouldn't be especially surprised if that is fairly reflective of how they have operated in other games also.

andmark

International Captain
I've not watched them that much this year, but in the moments of the Man City match before they totally went to pot, the tactic clearly appeared to be "give the ball to Hazard".

Wouldn't be especially surprised if that is fairly reflective of how they have operated in other games also.
This might be optimistic, but when Liverpool sold Coutinho and improved, James Milner (I think) said it was because they had to actively think through situations- in doing so, finding good ideas- rather than try to give the ball to Coutinho. Could that happen if/when Chelsea sell Hazard?

cpr

International Coach

Our game plan last night was essentially crowd Hazard out and not worry too much about the rest. They were so one dimensional, and trust me, I've spent most of this season watching one-dimensional football..

Uppercut

In my head Liverpool were solid favourites for this tie, but I saw that Bayern lineup before the game and realised I totally forgot about all the really, really good players they have.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
In my head Liverpool were solid favourites for this tie, but I saw that Bayern lineup before the game and realised I totally forgot about all the really, really good players they have.
I'm impressed they've managed to last 75 minutes without conceding as their defence recently in the Bundesliga has been ****ing dog ****.

Uppercut

Such a strange game. Almost as if the tempo was too high for anyone to do anything good enough to get a goal.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Offside trap is a bit dodgy to use with the standard/athleticism/pace of modern players as well. Margin for error is extremely thin.

andmark

International Captain
As was almost everything about the 1974 Dutch team. I think they were incapable of being anything other than aesthetic.
I love them along with the Ajax team of the same period and have a bit of an obsession with Cruyff. It's almost extreme how much they cared for the thing to be a great spectacle- that's how it should be!