• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2015-16

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can't think of any.

Can't think of many sides to have been in Europe & relegated, at least in the 21st century.

Suggests sledger is a giant ****

King Pietersen

International Captain
Ipswich? They beat Inter Milan in Europe and got relegated the same season didn't they?

Edit: Yep. Qualified for Europe in 2000-01, and then got relegated 01/02, whilst playing in Europe.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I don't know how teams can turn their nose up at a competition that comes with a CL place, even if the lure of a European Trophy in itself isn't enough for mighty West Ham in their pursuit of 8th

#AMF

EDIT - tbf I have no idea how seriously West Ham took it, but Hull last year were a joke.
They rested their entire first XI I think. Hence my post about why I'd be bitter if they got anything against us on Sunday.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Got to say, because I'm mean spirited I would somewhat enjoy the world's best league losing a CL place

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Imagine how **** terrified all of the top four would get. Pretty disheartening for the chasing pack as well. The thing is though, it's in the interests of Tottenham, Liverpool, et al, to not lose that place. So you'd hope they use as incentive to perform in the EL. Not only can they qualify for the next CL if they win it, but they can also improve their long term prospects by winning it. The English sides need to start doing better in the CL as well though, which isn't something they can just turn on with more incentive.

cpr

International Coach
But Spurs and Liverpool have this complex that they should be getting CL places, and the Europa is below them.

For a team like West Ham, they shouldn't be getting relegated, but a poor season and they might well end up doing so (first season with the new manager too). Protecting PL money is more important than a bit of glory sadly.

The only teams who I dare say would take a Europa campaign seriously (ie, not bothered about top 4/relegation over it) are your Stokes and Evertons

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The problem with the Europe League is that it just gets in the way. Thursday nights into Sundays are just **** and the competition's far too big with too many games and some ridiculous travel.

The best thing for the competition would be to run in in alternative weeks with the Club so it's on a Wednesday. It might actually get noticed instead of being the ****e dessert after the Club main course.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The problem with the Europe League is that it just gets in the way. Thursday nights into Sundays are just **** and the competition's far too big with too many games and some ridiculous travel.

The best thing for the competition would be to run in in alternative weeks with the Club so it's on a Wednesday. It might actually get noticed instead of being the ****e dessert after the Club main course.
woukd agree, but it often plays on non-CL weeks doesn't it, and still nobody gives a ****

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, it's a bit like the League Cup and the FA Cup in terms of prestige and importance really, one is decidedly inferior to the other, no matter how well you package it up (not that either are especially prestigious these days).

Edit: That said, I probably enjoy the League Cup more than the FA Cup these days. But that's because it's primarily on during the week and Arsenal generally put out teams with all the youngsters/players you don't get to see very often selected.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Thursday to Sunday is no worse than Wednesday to Saturday, it's such a poor excuse. I remember when Arsenal had a trip to Naples on the Wednesday then got dicked by City on the Saturday morning. It's no different to Spurs doing rubbish after a Thursday game. Longer distances? Meh, it's not like these clubs travel Ryan Air, I'm sure they can cope with an extra hour and a half on the plane.

The only major difference between that and the CL clubs is they tend to have thinner squads. I have some sympathy for that, but it means the clubs that don't should be dominating in it.

You couldn't play it in non CL weeks because there are regular midweek fixtures for a lot of countries. Certainly England, Spain and Germany anyway. Away from the league, league cup, two legged Copa Del Rey fixtures and DFB pokal games are played.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, it's a bit like the League Cup and the FA Cup in terms of prestige and importance really, one is decidedly inferior to the other, no matter how well you package it up (not that either are especially prestigious these days).

Edit: That said, I probably enjoy the League Cup more than the FA Cup these days. But that's because it's primarily on during the week and Arsenal generally put out teams with all the youngsters/players you don't get to see very often selected.
Still think every club that doesn't have Europe should take the League Cup properly seriously though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They also need to stop the sides exiting the CL group stages from joining. That devalues it too.

dont mind the sides who fall at the qualifying stage I suppose, as otherwise who would represent Scotland in Europe

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
In theory that should be a way of improving English performance in the EL. It's what happened to Italy last season.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In theory that should be a way of improving English performance in the EL. It's what happened to Italy last season.
Well yeah but if English sides did as well in the CL as a decade ago then the Europa League discussion would be moot in terms of the coefficient

Btw, noticed I have the BT Europe channel the other day. Will I have to start paying for it at some point?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Why do you get BT free anyway? I bet they sneak it on some bill or the other without you noticing though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Why do you get BT free anyway? I bet they sneak it on some bill or the other without you noticing though.
Free with the XL package. They used to do it with ESPN, guess as a clincher for you to pick them over sky. In reality it's factored into their prices I guess, but you don't have to individually pay for it with that package

We cut ****loads from our package earlier in the year though and somehow came out with HD Sports channels for free and £40 a month off the bill

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Thursday to Sunday is no worse than Wednesday to Saturday, it's such a poor excuse. I remember when Arsenal had a trip to Naples on the Wednesday then got dicked by City on the Saturday morning. It's no different to Spurs doing rubbish after a Thursday game. Longer distances? Meh, it's not like these clubs travel Ryan Air, I'm sure they can cope with an extra hour and a half on the plane.

The only major difference between that and the CL clubs is they tend to have thinner squads. I have some sympathy for that, but it means the clubs that don't should be dominating in it.

You couldn't play it in non CL weeks because there are regular midweek fixtures for a lot of countries. Certainly England, Spain and Germany anyway. Away from the league, league cup, two legged Copa Del Rey fixtures and DFB pokal games are played.
Yeah, travelling from Paris to London after a game's the same logistically as coming back from Moscow or Cyprus.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If I could be bothered I'd compare Arsenal and Spurs' average distances. Might do later. If its the equivalent of Paris to Ukraine or whatever than I admit it might hurt, but I doubt it'd be anything to to make tanking the competition appropriate.

Arsenal went to Istanbul twice last season ftr.