• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Really not an ideal time to be losing 4 potential starters(Greedy, Eboue, Kolo and Song) to the ACN. An injury or two and our squad could be struggling with some huge games in the pipeline. Really need to bring in a couple of midfielders and possibly a squad striker.
Pretty sure any time to lose Song would be ideal tbh.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty sure any time to lose Song would be ideal tbh.
Thought he improved a lot as the season went on. Definitely started to outplay Denilson and Diaby. Should never be a starter on a team that wants to win the league but very handy to have in the squad I reckon.

Would shed no tears to see Diaby go imo, guy has all the talent in the world but is slow in the head. Reckon we could get more than enough money to make it worthwhile, he played more games on the left last season than in the middle. Like we tried to fit him there to give him playing time rather than actually have a player who can contribute.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Looking at our late January to mid february fixtures:

January
Sat Jan 16 Bolton Wanderers A
Wed Jan 20 Carling Cup Semi-Final (2)
Sat Jan 23 F.A. Cup 4
Wed Jan 27 Aston Villa A
Sat Jan 30 Manchester United H

February
Sat Feb 6 Chelsea A
Tue Feb 9 Liverpool H
Sat Feb 13 F.A. Cup 5
Feb 16/17/23/24 UEFA Champions League Knockout Round 1L

Really not an ideal time to be losing 4 potential starters(Greedy, Eboue, Kolo and Song) to the ACN. An injury or two and our squad could be struggling with some huge games in the pipeline. Really need to bring in a couple of midfielders and possibly a squad striker.
It's earlier this year. 10 Jan to 31 Jan ( Angola 2010 ACN draw set for Nov. 20, Fixtures out - African Cup of Nations 2010 - CAF ). So you should have the players ready for the Chelsea and Liverpool games, but they'll miss the home game with Everton.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Thought he improved a lot as the season went on. Definitely started to outplay Denilson and Diaby. Should never be a starter on a team that wants to win the league but very handy to have in the squad I reckon.

Would shed no tears to see Diaby go imo, guy has all the talent in the world but is slow in the head. Reckon we could get more than enough money to make it worthwhile, he played more games on the left last season than in the middle. Like we tried to fit him there to give him playing time rather than actually have a player who can contribute.
Hmm dunno, I think Diaby is pretty decent actually, worth peservering with at any rate. I am being a little harsh on Song, but he is generally just not very good in my opinion, he generally seems to spend all his time fouling the other team and giving the ball away, he certainly is a trier, but seems to add very little to the team when he is in it. That said, neither does Denilson. Hope to see a bit more of Ramsey next year.

duffer

Hope to see a bit more of Ramsey next year.
Have heard Wolves and Birmingham both shown some interest in taking him on loan for a season. Reckon him and Fabianski would benefit from a season at a lower level Premiership side.

Jarquis

Looking at our late January to mid february fixtures:

January
Sat Jan 16 Bolton Wanderers A
Wed Jan 20 Carling Cup Semi-Final (2)
Sat Jan 23 F.A. Cup 4
Wed Jan 27 Aston Villa A
Sat Jan 30 Manchester United H

February
Sat Feb 6 Chelsea A
Tue Feb 9 Liverpool H
Sat Feb 13 F.A. Cup 5
Feb 16/17/23/24 UEFA Champions League Knockout Round 1L

Goodplaya.com Blog Archive Arsenal’s fixtures analysed: the biggies are done by February

A good article going through our fixtures etc.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Hmm dunno, I think Diaby is pretty decent actually, worth peservering with at any rate. I am being a little harsh on Song, but he is generally just not very good in my opinion, he generally seems to spend all his time fouling the other team and giving the ball away, he certainly is a trier, but seems to add very little to the team when he is in it.
IMO you missed the whole of last season and watched replays of 07/08. You've got it completely opposite.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Have heard Wolves and Birmingham both shown some interest in taking him on loan for a season. Reckon him and Fabianski would benefit from a season at a lower level Premiership side.
Yeah agreed, both showed signs of being up to standard, but both looked a bit out of their depth or more than a few occasions. Fabianski in particular was very frustrating I thought, made some really decent saves, but these were balanced out by absolute howlers. Guess he won't be going anywhere though, think he signed a new contract the other day.

duffer

Reckon he should take Diaby's games at left mid(where he played at Osasuna) and will get a few games as striker. The fitness of Eduardo and Rosicky(heh) will have a lot to do with how many games he plays, but think we should keep him.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Reckon he should take Diaby's games at left mid(where he played at Osasuna) and will get a few games as striker. The fitness of Eduardo and Rosicky(heh) will have a lot to do with how many games he plays, but think we should keep him.
Yeah, Vela should be used more this season, and I fully expect that he will be. Like you say though, with all players fit, there is an overcrowding of attacking midfield type players to fit into the team. Sad as it maybe, I think Rosicky is very much on his way out, unless he can come back really strong, I don't think he will be able to push past Arshavin, Nasri, Walcott, Eduardo, or even Vela, Diaby and Eboue, such a shame, very talented player.

Jarquis

Wasn't there a rumour circulation of loaning him to Everton for him to prove his fitness and the depending on performances an option of signing permanently for them?
Definition of rumour if I've ever seen one.

I agree with the point that Vela should get Diabys games at LM. I think Diaby has come in for some undeserved criticismbecause he looks like Vieira so people expect him to play in a similar manner when they're very different players.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Wasn't there a rumour circulation of loaning him to Everton for him to prove his fitness and the depending on performances an option of signing permanently for them?
Definition of rumour if I've ever seen one.

I agree with the point that Vela should get Diabys games at LM. I think Diaby has come in for some undeserved criticismbecause he looks like Vieira so people expect him to play in a similar manner when they're very different players.
Only in terms of ability.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My word it's gone from the United thread to the Arsenal thread. Improvement, I suppose :thumbsup:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
And the roles they play.
Diaby will never be a ball winner, he possesses different attributes to those of Vieira.
I would say that constitutes "ability", their overall playing style of "tenacious, powerful, driving midfielder" is similar.

Jarquis

I would say that constitutes "ability", their overall playing style of "tenacious, powerful, driving midfielder" is similar.
TBH now I've thought about it Vieira did everything that Diaby can and so much more.