• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2008-2009

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah, it's called the World Club Cup. Played at the end of the Japanese season. To generate home interest, the winner of the J League plays the Oceanian Club Cup winner for a spot even if they did rubbish in the continental cup. :laugh:
As I understand it, FIFA plan, soon, for the tournament to change host with each tournament, like the World Cup, and with the winners of the host nation's league taking part along with all the various Continental winners. This is only from vague memory, so I could be wrong here. Dunno what would happen if the winner of the league was also the winner of the Continental competition either.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
As I understand it, FIFA plan, soon, for the tournament to change host with each tournament, like the World Cup, and with the winners of the host nation's league taking part along with all the various Continental winners. This is only from vague memory, so I could be wrong here. Dunno what would happen if the winner of the league was also the winner of the Continental competition either.
They actually announced today that the 2009 and 2010 tournaments are going to football hotbed United Arab Emirates. Al-whatever vs Waitakere Utd might actually be close.

Australia wanted the tournament, interestingly.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looks like a Triumph Dolomite (which would've been awesome), but i'm pretty sure the Riva is a Lada thing, which makes it woeful. :(

Tom Halsey

International Coach
If Real Madrid are reported to FIFA, it won't be before time. We're not the only ones to have fallen victim to this, they should have been reported ages ago in the Galacticos era. Absolutely hate that club.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, the endless saga of Patrick Vieira springs to mind, no doubt the saga of Francesc Fabregas will soon begin.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Platini might even make a comment about them throwing ridiculous amounts of money around, but then again this is unlikely as they're not British.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Platini might even make a comment about them throwing ridiculous amounts of money around, but then again this is unlikely as they're not British.
Generally find Platini a bit of a **** tbh, great player, but dont like his ideas regarding the future of football in Europe, and like you say, his opinions are universally based on the logic of "if a british club is doing something, its bad".

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
If Real Madrid are reported to FIFA, it won't be before time. We're not the only ones to have fallen victim to this, they should have been reported ages ago in the Galacticos era. Absolutely hate that club.
Oh, the hypocrisy of a Man U fan saying they hate Real for tapping up Ronaldo. Jaap Stam ring any bells?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
for better or for worse, I very much doubt anything will come of this, whether Utd report Madrid to fifa or not.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In other news, Ronnie Moore signed a new two-year deal yesterday, but if reports are to believed Steve Davies is going to B*****. **** **** ****.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
In other news, Ronnie Moore signed a new two-year deal yesterday, but if reports are to believed Steve Davies is going to B*****. **** **** ****.
Ronnie Moore - Rotherham Legend :D, no offence to Tranmere, and any other club in the lower leagues, and indeed Rotherham themselves, but i'm somewhat surprised he hasnt been offered a job at the top end of The Championship tbh. Great manager though.

cpr

International Coach
Oh, the hypocrisy of a Man U fan saying they hate Real for tapping up Ronaldo. Jaap Stam ring any bells?

Theres a sly tap up, covert meetings with players/agents. Its wrong

However, going to every paper on earth saying how you WILL sign this player is kinda taking ti too far, theres being clandestine about it, and it should be punished. And its always the Spanish sides (Barcelona did it the other year IIRC)