• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2007-08

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Where did he say that? Looks like you've got some kind of hate for him which is quite strange. If it was like Gary Neville I could understand or Roy Keane but Solskjaer?
Don’t have resonates of hate for Ole, his had a wonderful career and been a top professional for Man Untied. However, my opinion is that his career as top Premiership player has come to an end. I’m sure he could still score a few goals for Man U, who wouldn’t score goals in that sort of side but injuries and age haven’t been kind to him. And the player himself has even admitted that he doesn’t see himself playing professional football for much longer also.

Craig

World Traveller
TT Boy have you ever been to the Nou Camp? I'm considering going on a tour of the stadium and the museum when I'm there, since it only costs 11 euros for the lot, so I was wondering what it is like? Or alternatively if anybody else has been there then they are wwelcome to answer.

As for Ole, I don't think I'm the only one who is surprised that he is still playing.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
He's supposed to retire at the end of next season by all accounts really. So his career as a player should only last one more season. Should become a coach. Heard he helps out with the younger players i.e Reserves so in a few years he could be managing.

roseboy64

Bent to United?, no way yo. Smith isn't good enough to ever warrant a first team place & the legendary Solskjaer even though he really played out of his skins last season while many wrote him off his clearly in the twilight of his career.
I wouldn't say he's not good enough. World class? No. But every player doesn't have to and shouldn't be world class for a team. He was effective for the role he was employed in last season and there were times he could have tried to score but he passed off the ball to a teammate in a better position. An example was I think the FA Cup Semi. You need different types of players to make up a strong sqaud. Man Utd would never have won the tile without guys like Fletcher and O'Shea. I hope you realise that. This isn't Football manager. Personalities clash more often than they do in that game. Hence you need the right balance and so Smith deserves his first team place IMO. His contribution wasn't on the scoresheets and I wouldn't expect it to be so after coming back and playing not 100%. Just like what happened to RVN after he came back from that injury a couple seasons ago. People were saying he's finished ( Marc) but he scored a truckload of goals next season. Besides I'm expecting Rossi to cement a first team spot so along with Saha, Rooney, Solskjaer and whoever else, that's pretty solid.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy have you ever been to the Nou Camp? I'm considering going on a tour of the stadium and the museum when I'm there, since it only costs 11 euros for the lot, so I was wondering what it is like? Or alternatively if anybody else has been there then they are wwelcome to answer.

As for Ole, I don't think I'm the only one who is surprised that he is still playing.

No, haven't even been to mainland Spain. Although, for eleven Euro’s, even if the tour is boring as hell you would get the chance to take some nice photos.

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Aussie, get this down in your diary/calender as August 1 MU v Inter.
already on it craig (although i'd have rather it be AC Milan), the usual north stand and all. Also on the verge of attaining early season matches vs Chelsea & Tottenham.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Defensive Mid-fielders in England (Historically)

For all the older guys, Brumby, neil, marc. How much good defensive mid-fielders have England really produced over the years. I remember watching video's of our 1966 triumph and seeing Nobby Stiles or whatever having fair distinction in that position for marking Eusebio, but then again was he a one-tournament wonder & did he really excel in that position for United?.

Currently Hargreaves is around & once he keeps it up can become on the best England have ever had in that role i reckon. But really has anyone else ever played this role with any distinction for England?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Currently Hargreaves is around & once he keeps it up can become on the best England have ever had in that role i reckon
Because he can pass a ball sideways does not warrant this outrageous statement.

Paul Ince was a finer player, as was David Batty. Hargreaves is a more gifted player than both of them...esspecially Batty, but as far as playing in front of the defence goes hes not even as good as Nicky Butt, and neither is Michael Carrick for that matter.

roseboy64

Paul Ince was a finer player, as was David Batty. Hargreaves is a more gifted player than both of them...esspecially Batty, but as far as playing in front of the defence goes hes not even as good as Nicky Butt, and neither is Michael Carrick for that matter.
Carrick's not a defensive midfielder though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
For all the older guys, Brumby, neil, marc. How much good defensive mid-fielders have England really produced over the years. I remember watching video's of our 1966 triumph and seeing Nobby Stiles or whatever having fair distinction in that position for marking Eusebio, but then again was he a one-tournament wonder & did he really excel in that position for United?.

Currently Hargreaves is around & once he keeps it up can become on the best England have ever had in that role i reckon. But really has anyone else ever played this role with any distinction for England?
Marc's left, aussie.

Craig

World Traveller
Well this is an interesting new job with axed Fulham manager Chris Coleman very likely to take over at relegated La Liga club Real Sociedad. Certainly out of left field when it comes to looking for a new job.

Tom Halsey

International Coach

Over priced IMO, however he is an extremely fine player. And exactly the kind of player we were missing in Europe last season, too.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Over priced IMO, however he is an extremely fine player. And exactly the kind of player we were missing in Europe last season, too.
overpriced? yes

extremely fine?....no, hes decent to the point which i would say he is better than just good, but he is essentially a bits and pieces player, not a european heavyweight which teams like arsenal and man utd both so badly need.

The kind of player man utd missed in europe last year was an out and out centre forward, not a hurry scurry footballing equivalent of paul collingwood.