• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Cricket 2012

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Personally think we should have made a side designed to win rather than just help with the selection for Tests.

Downside is the apparent confirmation of Bopara for the test side. Why?!?!?! He was **** in 09 he's **** now.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
who would have thought the batsman who was the reserve batsman on the past two tours and scored a ton in his only FC match since then would be first in line to fill the vacant batting spot

Jacknife

International Captain
who would have thought the batsman who was the reserve batsman on the past two tours and scored a ton in his only FC match since then would be first in line to fill the vacant batting spot
:laugh: I know we all don't like Ravi in the side but It would be quite some turn around by the selectors if he wasn't in the squad.

Jacknife

International Captain
Personally think we should have made a side designed to win rather than just help with the selection for Tests.

Downside is the apparent confirmation of Bopara for the test side. Why?!?!?! He was **** in 09 he's **** now.
I wouldn't, I want to see what a few of these lads are like facing a international side, see who rises to the occasion and who doesn't. Still think the side will be good enough to roll WI over when they first come over.

Howe_zat

Audio File
You're forgetting the golden rule that the more people have watched of someone the less likely they are to think they're good.

It's weird. The only difference between Bopara and, say, Taylor's records is that the establishment has considered Bopara good enough to have been given a previous go. Yet people take this as a measure of Bopara being worse? Sense, it makes none.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You're forgetting the golden rule that the more people have watched of someone the less likely they are to think they're good.

It's weird. The only difference between Bopara and, say, Taylor's records is that the establishment has considered Bopara good enough to have been given a previous go. Yet people take this as a measure of Bopara being worse? Sense, it makes none.
And there goes sad sack for 6.

Taylor has a far better record actually and is much younger. Plus he doesn't whine like a big girl on Twitter when the ball is moving about too much. Also the thing with Bopara is he's been shown to be ****ing useless in over 100 matches that shower of ****e has played for England. The experts don't rate his technique and there is a big question mark over his temperament. His bowling is barely a factor at international level and his fielding doesn't stand up to the pressure either.

Taylor is an unknown 22yo with an impressive record. Bopara is a known 26yo with a good FC/List A record and rubbish T20 record. And the known part doesn't work well with someone who turns out to be ****e at international level. Taylor could end up being worse or better than Bopara. Bopara-level is nowhere near good enough for England, so that's why most sane people want someone with potential and not the same tried and tested failure.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

I'm leading the "unconvinced by Taylor" charge too, tbh.

Interesting to see Compton in. Last time we picked a doughty Saffer-born player in his late twenties was Trott...

Plus, obvz, good genetics.

&, speaking of the grandsons of English batting greats whose surnames start with a "C", there was an article in today's Independent introducing the unfortunately Christened Fabian Cowdrey, grandson of Colin, son of Chris, nephew of Graham, etc.

Scored more runs for Tonbridge School than MCC did, which bodes well.

Jacknife

International Captain
I've been a big fans of Taylor's since I first watched him play a couple of years ago but this season will be a real test for him and thus far it has proved to be. I know he's had a few good knocks for the Lions but I'm really hoping that he can carry all his Leics form up to the first division and really put his name forward for selection.

His problem is that he isn't the most technically sound player himself, he plays round his front pad on a massively regular basis and tries to whip everything into the leg side. I do hope he can work on this and sort it out because I feel at the highest level he'll be a big lbw candidate and it maybe his undoing even in the first division, he's young enough, talented enough and he's got plenty of time on his side, so hopefully he'll come good.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm leading the "unconvinced by Taylor" charge too, tbh.

Interesting to see Compton in. Last time we picked a doughty Saffer-born player in his late twenties was Trott...

Plus, obvz, good genetics.

&, speaking of the grandsons of English batting greats whose surnames start with a "C", there was an article in today's Independent introducing the unfortunately Christened Fabian Cowdrey, grandson of Colin, son of Chris, nephew of Graham, etc.

Scored more runs for Tonbridge School than MCC did, which bodes well.
Compton reminds me a lot of Trott in that he was an average to good county player for quite some time with known talent but was woefully inconsistent, then seemed to click into gear at county level and explode with consistent runs suddenly in his late twenties. I thought it was too early to consider his run last season (where he was by far the best batsman available for England in Division 1) as anything other than a purple patch but that he's backed it up early this season as well is a great sign and I think we have to start considering it a genuine improvement, or a late realisation of talent. He'd be probably be my pick at this stage, especially if he can get a score for the Lions.

Of course it'd probably make more sense to pick the bloke who has been flown all around the world for the winter without playing a game after being official first reserve during last summer, but I just don't have much faith in Ravi, particularly if he's not going to bowl much.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Yes the good thing about Compton is that he doesn't throw his wicket away, very Trott like in that way and by all accounts his leaving of the ball has been one of the key features to his improvements the past couple of years. Always quite fancied him for one day cricket before Tests but he's certainly putting is hand up.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes the good thing about Compton is that he doesn't throw his wicket away, very Trott like in that way and by all accounts his leaving of the ball has been one of the key features to his improvements the past couple of years. Always quite fancied him for one day cricket before Tests but he's certainly putting is hand up.
Yep; another Trott similarity in that he was an awesome List A batsman when he his First Class performances weren't consistently justifying his ability, but his longer form improvements have actually seen a decline in his one day game.

Trott had every right to be in the ODI team on domestic merit years before he actually got there but he was picked at the perfect moment for Test cricket, which is funny when you consider that his detractors now want him out of the ODI side.

Jacknife

International Captain
Yep; another Trott similarity in that he was an awesome List A batsman when he his First Class performances weren't consistently justifying his ability, but his longer form improvements have actually seen a decline in his one day game.

Trott had every right to be in the ODI team on domestic merit years before he actually got there but he was picked at the perfect moment for Test cricket, which is funny when you consider that his detractors now want him out of the ODI side.
Agree, he was by some distance the best one day player in the country thatwasn't a England regular, long before he was brought into the test side. It really is amazing when you think about it that he didn't get a chance over the years when you think of some of the names that have.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
cricinfo reporting trescothicks injury worse than originally feared. 2 months +.recovery.

It's obviously bad news for him and Somerset but something like this for Compton, Kieswetter, Buttler, Hildreth is a huge opportunity to step out of Trescothicks shadow and push themselves towards England.

Could be a real struggle for Somerset in the next couple of months if 2 or 3 of the batsman don't hit form because the bowling is extremely young and inexperienced. They could do with it raining for a month or so!

Yorkshire still struggling today. They're much fabled batting and bowling lineups really not performing.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I can only assume Dernbach has incriminating photos of someone.

I look forward to Brooks & Coles thoroughly outbowling him - and Richardson would certainly take more wickets than Dernbach!

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To be fair to Yorkshi*e they've played the strongest side (Kent) in the second division twice.

Still if they want to win a few games they could always send out an SOS to Durham and we might loan them out some proper bowlers.

Jacknife

International Captain
To be fair to Yorkshi*e they've played the strongest side (Kent) in the second division twice.

Still if they want to win a few games they could always send out an SOS to Durham and we might loan them out some proper bowlers.
Durham, County crickets Dad's army.