• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Normally I'd agree with you, but the problem I have with this is the fact that he really shouldn't have been picked in this format in the first place.

If he'd been batting well for consecutive seasons in List A cricket and his keeping was of an acceptable standard, I'd support the decision to keep backing him for a while. However, he was basically a desperation pick - someone decided he just 'had the right stuff' for lack of a better explanation to rise to the ocassion most consistently in ODIs than he had in List A cricket. A selection like this deserves less latitude and patience; I think his time is up in ODIs.
I think maybe he shouldn't have been picked. But his List A record isn't much worse than most alternatives, and at least he's shown he has some quality at international level in tests and is in good form. Also, now he has been picked, he's had a good series with the bat.

To be honest, I reckon we should keep most of this team together for the next year. Bring in Swann, and I think we've got potential.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Normally I'd agree with you, but the problem I have with this is the fact that he really shouldn't have been picked in this format in the first place.

If he'd been batting well for consecutive seasons in List A cricket and his keeping was of an acceptable standard, I'd support the decision to keep backing him for a while. However, he was basically a desperation pick - someone decided he just 'had the right stuff' for lack of a better explanation to rise to the ocassion most consistently in ODIs than he had in List A cricket. A selection like this deserves less latitude and patience; I think his time is up in ODIs.
A perfectly respectable view to hold. However I just don't see it being healthy having different keepers in Test and ODI cricket. And as between those two formats, Test cricket matters (in my view) approximately 15,000 times more than ODI cricket. Therefore, the best keeper or keeper/batsman for Tests should play in both formats.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
How did they do that?
Because when the light started to go England bowled well and took a couple of wickets, whereas WI got really preoccupied with the light instead of focussing on what they were doing. If WI'd played better, or England worse, in that period before the light was offered WI would have won.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Because when the light started to go England bowled well and took a couple of wickets, whereas WI got really preoccupied with the light instead of focussing on what they were doing. If WI'd played better, or England worse, in that period before the light was offered WI would have won.
Easier to bowl well when the batsmen aren't taking much risks though as well but I see your point.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
maths ability wasn't necessary in that instance, what you mean to say is that all of them are illiterate.
Can't add up, can't read the scoreboard, illiterate, numerically illiterate, haven't got the balls to stand up to the coach who's about to make a complete howler and throw the match away... there are a lot of potential explanations, I don't know which of them is closest to the truth but none of them reflects well on the Windies back-room team

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Each explanation there has a different indication of what you think of them and as a result the players as well since they're there.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Each explanation there has a different indication of what you think of them and as a result the players as well since they're there.
I don't know the detail so I can't be more specific. But we know enough to know that Dyson committed a god-awful howler and the people around him must bear some responsibility for allowing it to happen.