• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in West Indies 2022

Cubiscus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Good news that Silverwoods gone, we'd half lost a lot of games jus with the selection.

Hopefully selection is removed from the next coach's remit.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Please don't say England is getting it's house in order just before the test series :(

Can we not have more examples of Stuart Board not playing on a trampoline pitch like on the last tour?!

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Please don't say England is getting it's house in order just before the test series :(

Can we not have more examples of Stuart Board not playing on a trampoline pitch like on the last tour?!
The coaches getting sacked doesn't change the fact that Burns and Pope are the best batsmen in county cricket

Beamer

True but our batting is even worse than theirs, so silly management decisions regarding their bowling attack are greatfully received!

theegyptian

Collingwood in caretaker charge for this tour.

Test squad named tomorrow. Names mentioned in press as possibly coming in Lees, Mahmood, Foakes, Bohannon amongst others.

Chubb

International Regular
Think Bohannon has to be given a shot, I've never seen him bat but England can't decry the fact nobody averages 40+ in county cricket and then not pick the one guy who does.

Beamer

Based on current rumours, you're gonna get your wish.
Tbh Anderson and Broad would obviously be a large threat, but I'm most concerned by Mark Wood. This generation of West Indian batsman are poor against real pace, particularly the short ball.

I won't lie though, not facing those two will be a relief.

theegyptian

Sounds like both Broad and Anderson not selected.

I can't say I'm too bothered about Broad's exclusion. His columns in the newspapers and interviews in the press always strike me as self serving. Bowled only ok the last year or so.

Anderson is a bit gutting. Continues to bowl well. And less of a dick than Broad (at least to his own teammates).

FWIW there is already a lot of hate and ridicule towards this move on social media and I'm sure there will be more on here. What I would say to that is that it's hard to really know what it's like in that dressing room. Anecdotal evidence but I've been in changing rooms where there are some older guys who've been around a long time and are cynical and disruptive, and just kinda bring the whole changing room culture down. Not bad guys so to speak, just been around the same thing a bit too long. Not saying that is the case here but who knows. It's obviously still a massive decision to undertake and to be balanced against their performances on the pitch.

Last edited:

theegyptian

Doesn't seem likely now but hope Robinson doesn't make the squad either. Broad and Anderson may be the grumpy old men of the changing room, but their fitness levels and performances across their career speak for themselves.

theegyptian

England Men's Test squad

Joe Root (Yorkshire) captain
Jonathan Bairstow (Yorkshire)
Zak Crawley (Kent)
Matthew Fisher (Yorkshire)
Ben Foakes (Surrey)
Dan Lawrence (Essex)
Jack Leach (Somerset)
Alex Lees (Durham)
Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire)
Craig Overton (Somerset)
Matthew Parkinson (Lancashire)
Ollie Pope (Surrey)
Ollie Robinson (Sussex)
Ben Stokes (Durham)
Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)
Mark Wood (Durham)

Tom Flint

International Regular
Robinson probably shouldn't have made the squad given his poor fitness in West Indies. More down to his endurance than injury issues which wasn't good

theegyptian

Pope, Robinson and Woakes lucky.
Broad and Anderson unlucky.
COverton and Lawrence in the ashes squad but weren't deemed good enough to get picked in a team losing 4-0, and then still picked for the next tour, as is the way. Fwiw I think that was inevitable (especially in Lawrence's case), just funny, you're almost better of not getting selected in a tour like that.

Hope to see Mahmood or Fisher play at some point.