• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in The West Indies

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
luckyeddie said:
I reckon they should all go away tonight, drink a bottle of rum apiece, smoke a 5-skinner and come out fighting next time.
Didn't some of them try that after the 1st Test? ;)

Sehwag309

Banned
Let the recipes stay the same name.

I found it completely nonsensical to change names of cities. Being from Bombay myself, I really can't find any reason to change the name

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Rich, i dont think dropping some of the good players they have will help them...
If they start from scratch, around a few current players, there is an absolutely massive chance of complete failure.. (even more chronic than now)
:rolleyes:
personally i agree with rich drop everyone bar lara,sarwan,best and edwards and start from scratch. get in some young untested players and go at em instead of those regular failures(gayle,hinds...r and w)but knowing the WI selectors they would probably recall w.hinds for their next series against bangladesh thinking that he was the solution to the catastrophe of the england series and he would cement a place in the side with 2 doubles aka chris gayle vs kenya. to think that on their tour to england we would see the same WI side:D

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
I know something you don't know.....

The last time England won a series in the West Indies before today was in 1968.

Big deal, you say.

The final test that year started on 28 March

So? You ask.

Who was born on 28 March, 1968?
Who was at the non-striker's end today?

The same person. Nasser Hussain.
:O what a coincidence!!!:O :rolleyes: it didnt matter on their last tour to the WI did it?

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Sorry, but how can you average over 40, but be inconsistant?
simple average 90 odd at the oval and against bangladesh and zimbabwe and less than 30 against the rest. besides that average is rapidly dropping because it took a long time for people to realise trescothicks weakness

tooextracool

International Coach
Umair316 said:
Sad times for West Indies cricket.
Such a talented team going to waste.
I still think, this group of men can be the best in the world, if they perform as a unit.
hahaha good joke. if a team of gayle and w and r hinds end up being the best in the world the standard of cricket would indeed be the lowest ever since the game began. theyve got 1 legendary batsman, 1 who can become a pretty good batsman and 1 who has been a relatively decent batsman for them. 2 decent bowlers who could have a great future but the others would struggle to make it onto the bangladesh side.

Originally posted by Umair316 The captaincy needs to be changed, Brian Lara is a great player, but not a worthy captain, they might have had limited success against the Australians but if you look at the overall Windies performance under Lara, it is very dissappointing.[/B]
its hard to blame lara. tactically i dont think he made too many mistakes. its not his problem if hes got a team of untalented players that can hardly hold the bat. before the series in one of the polls for best modern captain lara was on it and faired well in the results...now ppl blame him for the loss to england? its hard to see who can take over from lara...sarwan? certainly youd want him to focus on his batting instead of on the captaincy because he still has a long way to go to become a quality batsman

Originally posted by Umair316 Not since Richi Richardson, West Indies is yet to have a worthy captain.

Jimmy Adams, Carl Hooper suffered the same fate. [/B]
jimmy adams was the luckiest captain....how he managed to avoid defeat against zimbabwe or pakistan at home completely baffles me let alone how he won those series

Sehwag309

Banned
There are coincidences such as Naseer Husseins

Tendulkar single handedly took India to final and beat Aus in Sharjah 97/98 on his Birthday

Guess who else was born on the same day..The Bowler "Damien Fleming"

The Latter got away with dissent too in that match

tooextracool

International Coach
btw was the ball seaming around all over the place when hoggard was bowling?its hard to imagine hoggard taking a hatrick unless it was.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Some obviously still can't give credit where it's due.

Did England have too many problems with it when they were batting?

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
hahaha good joke. if a team of gayle and w and r hinds end up being the best in the world the standard of cricket would indeed be the lowest ever since the game began.
I see your point about the 2 Hinds, but Gayle?!?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
In the first innings, all of the did, except Graham Thorpe. Don't know about the second innings. Still, the West Indians don't have the worst batting lineup.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
simple average 90 odd at the oval and against bangladesh and zimbabwe and less than 30 against the rest. besides that average is rapidly dropping because it took a long time for people to realise trescothicks weakness
Uh-oh, still can't give credit where it's due. Has he not averaged very well this last year?

Also, he averaged very well in the summer of 2002, against SL and India, not bunnies. And he also did very well on the tour to Sri Lanka in the conditions, which aren't easy.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Some obviously still can't give credit where it's due.

excuse me?226 all out with the highest score after thorpe being 17??the 2nd innings really didnt count because WI were completely deflated and vaughan and tresco decided to go after everything.
besides i wasnt in any way degrading hoggards performance...i wanted to know whether or not he picked up wickets when the ball wasnt seaming abt because he has already shown us that he can when it does(7 wickets in NZ). if he can perform like this on a wicket that is decent for batting then he is definetly a good bowler

Tom Halsey said:
I see your point about the 2 Hinds, but Gayle?!?
yes the flat pitch bully....where has he been this series? if the way he was dismissed in the 2nd innings isnt proof that the guy cant bat....backed up by his awful technique.... then really you must be blind.give him a flat pitch and he'll bat like a hero, give him a pitch that does even a little bit and watch him choke. which makes me wonder.....why does he open the batting for the WI-not technique and all??

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Uh-oh, still can't give credit where it's due. Has he not averaged very well this last year?
woah hold on...you want me to give trescothick credit where its due....for what????making a complete fool of himself against the australians or on this tour of WI?how long are u gonna support trescothick when you know that he is completely useless??and how many times do i hafta tell u...the only reason he averaged well last year was because he played against bangladesh,zimbabawe and at the oval!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Tom Halsey Also, he averaged very well in the summer of 2002, against SL and India, not bunnies. And he also did very well on the tour to Sri Lanka in the conditions, which aren't easy. [/B]
yes and it must be said....what brilliant bowling attacks those are!!believe me the current WI pace bowling attack is 10 times as good as both the SLs(away from home) and Inds(away from home) combined.....need i also state that he only played once test match against the indians where he scored 57 and 58 and u probably already know which ground it was in. if u rate trescothick so highly then how do u explain his failures against the australians ....not once but twice????

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Do you go into hibernation whenever Murali bowls?

Kind of agree about India, but they are showing signs of improvement, what with drawing against Australia away from home recently.

And your point about Tres and the Oval is fruitless because he also averages 80+ at Old Trafford and Trent Bridge.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
how do u explain his failures against the australians ....not once but twice????
In his 1st 'failure' he averaged second highest out of the England batsmen.

In his 2nd one, yes, they worked him out, but form is temporary, class is permanent.