• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in The West Indies

Rich2001

International Captain
Spoke to soon, Vaughany out little nick to the wicket-keeper - BUT it does make it England's best opening parternship for the series :)

57/0 (11.3 Overs) - 36 More Runs to win

Vaughan 32 :: Trescothick 24* :: Butcher 0*

Langeveldt

Soutie
Trescothick hitting runs... not long to go for them now...

This is fairytale stuff for England.. I really dont know what to say about the west indies...

Rich2001

International Captain
LOL @ Panic Stations :lol:

2 runs later, well a no-ball and a single anyway and England have finally won a series for the first time in the West Indies for 36 years!

Great win and a super series so far and lets hopfully make it 4-0 next week :D

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know something you don't know.....

The last time England won a series in the West Indies before today was in 1968.

Big deal, you say.

The final test that year started on 28 March

So? You ask.

Who was born on 28 March, 1968?
Who was at the non-striker's end today?

The same person. Nasser Hussain.

Sehwag309

Banned
Its that kinda week

A Test Hat-Trick
A Test Win in 36 years

A Test Triple Hundred
First ever Test Win for India V/S Pak in Pak Soil

Langeveldt

Soutie
luckyeddie said:
I know something you don't know.....

The last time England won a series in the West Indies before today was in 1968.

Big deal, you say.

The final test that year started on 28 March

So? You ask.

Who was born on 28 March, 1968?
Who was at the non-striker's end today?

The same person. Nasser Hussain.
Clever stuff....

Langeveldt

Soutie
Where to now for the west indies?

They have gone from being poor in South Africa to completely spineless against England...

Now their old guard arent doing much, who is going to pull them out of the mire??

Im tempted to say that if Streak stays with Zim, they are a stronger bet than the West Indies (on present form).... Thats quite a startling thing to be saying, from someone who has grown up listening to Lara, Richardson, Hooper, Ambrose, Walsh etc.. but i think it holds some truth...

Even Bangladesh gave England a better fight...

Rich2001

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Where to now for the west indies?
It's a really tough call, as on paper that team is quite scary... I mean you look down it and Gayle, Lara, Sarwan, Chanderpaul etc is a formidable batting line up and the bowlers certianly look good for the long term with a bit of coaching... Best, Edwards, Collins, Collymore have made life hard for the English batsman more than once.

However do you say ok you've had your chances and now I don't care who you are if your playing bad your going to be dropped and start afresh with a new young team and go and build fully around players like Sarwan, Best, Edwards etc

There has also been many comments that the West Indies set up is wrong, in that with Lara the Cap and Viv Richards the Selector how do you tell them they are wrong? I heard the coach really wantted Powell in ahead of Ganga this match but we all saw who played, also Richards etc could be made so much more usfull helping develop the young lads into world beaters just like he was.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Liam, are you alright??? That was an absolute mullering...

Rich, i dont think dropping some of the good players they have will help them...

If they start from scratch, around a few current players, there is an absolutely massive chance of complete failure.. (even more chronic than now)

Rich2001

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Liam, are you alright??? That was an absolute mullering...
I spoke to Liam earlier and asked him that question and he replied with these things happen, however I don't think he was impressed with "What 3 times in a row" as he went offline :lol:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rich2001 said:
I spoke to Liam earlier and asked him that question and he replied with these things happen, however I don't think he was impressed with "What 3 times in a row" as he went offline :lol:
well, a few months ago they were down and out against the Aussies - then they broke the world record for the greatest-ever successful run chase.

What we've got is a collection of individuals with plenty of talent, absolutely no team spirit and no confidence. If England do the same again to them next week, you start adding 'no stomach for a fight, no spine, no pride' and the like, because comparing the two teams, there's not that much between them on ability.

I reckon they should all go away tonight, drink a bottle of rum apiece, smoke a 5-skinner and come out fighting next time.

Rich2001

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
I reckon they should all go away tonight, drink a bottle of rum apiece, smoke a 5-skinner and come out fighting next time.
Or they will be even worse seeing double etc ;) :lol:

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
The biggest difference between the sides is this:

The ECB has spent several years restructuring the domestic game and the coaching structure, employing the kind of backup staff who can contribute to the national team, and driving home the message all round the English game that what matters is the national team, and subordinating everything to the end of making it the best team they can.

The people involved are all focused on that aim, and are not attempting to use it to improve their own personal political positions.

None of this is true of the WICB.

And our players go out on the field knowing that everyone is behind them and that nobody is asking them to do any more than play the best cricket they can, and that they won't be shot until they've *proved* they no longer any use, while the WI players go out not knowing which faction in the Board is going to try and get rid of them even if they score a hundred.

It's actually my hypothesis, which is becoming firmer the more observations I make, that almost the biggest determinant of the result of a Test series is the relative degree of unity in the respective boards of control.

Cheers,

Mike