• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in The West Indies

Rich2001

International Captain
208/8

That's twice now that England have missed a wicket and the very next ball actually taken the wicket :O

First Butcher dropped another catch at slip, next ball Thrope takes one at 2nd slip.

Now a edge, but the ump says no, next ball huge edge to the slips that the ump didn't miss ;)

PY

International Coach
I can honestly say I'm happy for the guy. :)

Have W.I. given away their wickets again today or have England, even in the critics' eyes, bowled well today?

Can't get to a TV :(

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nice to see how, if one bowler doesn't perform (i.e. Hoggard, off the pitch injured) the others chip in.

Once they corrected the length, it was another impressive bowling performance. I suppose the bounce in the wicket tended to sucker the bowlers into dropping it too short earlier.

I can't say I was impressed with Vaughan's decision to field first, but hey. Can't knock it now.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
spofta said:
Personally i dont think that Andrew Flintoff is test class. He is a County Player definatly not worthy of a test position. He is a aweful batsmen and his bowling is nothing more that crap. He has a few flaws in his techniques for batting that could easily be exposed. His bowling is aweful he should be dropped.
Just thought that I'd bring this post to everyone's attention again so we can all laugh at the trolls. I'm not normally a vindictive person but on this occasion.... :D

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
luckyeddie said:
Just thought that I'd bring this post to everyone's attention again so we can all laugh at the trolls. I'm not normally a vindictive person but on this occasion.... :D

You beat me to it! :lol: :lol:

Swervy

International Captain
well it was a daft comment to make,he is a much better bowler than his 42ish average would suggest and on his day is one of the more dangerous batsmen in the world

Majin

International Debutant
Yeah, his average is misleading. He's usually a very economical bowler. It's good for him to get a 5 for, although I'm annoyed because I missed it, my mom insisted on watching "Queer eye for the straight guy" >:{

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
And there Trescothick goes, bowled by Edwards! England have not been getting off to very good starts in this series. Neither have the West Indies......

Majin

International Debutant
He's in horrible form this series. I don't get why they're sticking with him. Changing the opener, whoever they choose to replace him can't do any worse.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can see what Trescothick's trying to do - get the weight on the balls of his feet - but he seems to be overdoing it. His weight's so far forward on his toes it becomes almost impossible to move his feet.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Agh, that awful technique has finally caught up with him...

Pity really.. because he has the eye to punish this attack...
Yup.

Come in number one, your time is up.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
PY said:
I can honestly say I'm happy for the guy. :)

Have W.I. given away their wickets again today or have England, even in the critics' eyes, bowled well today?

Can't get to a TV :(
Gayle - sawn off by umpire
Ganga - sawn off, but had about four innings as it was.
Lara - classic late-period Botham dismissal: an over of complete tosh, one of which went to hand (quite brilliantly again by Collingwood, whose fielding surely has to be weighed when deciding whether to pick him)
Sarwan - poor shot to good ball
Chanderpaul - deceived by change of width and angle
Hinds - panicked into giving it away
Jacobs - fended off ball which got big on him
Best - gloved to fifth slip trying to evade
Collins - standard edge to first slip
Edwards - Bowled

The progress of the innings mostly reflected the bowling: Hoggard was excellent (runs came off false shots) and Harmison was awful in their first spells. Harmison improved later, but only to mediocre, a level at which he teamed up with the rest of the English bowling before tea.

Overall, it was the least convincing show the bowlers have put on so far - but at least they regrouped and upped their game after two sessions of rubbish instead of waiting until day two as has usually been the case in recent years.

Harmison had a bad spell, but then recovered, and he bowled some real snorters later on. He's entitled to have a bad spell in this series, after all.

Jones is definitely not the finished article. He may well have decided that he wants the role of terrorising the middle order with the old ball, and it would be very useful if he succeeds in his ambition, but as yet he seems to have little idea about how he's going to get his wickets: he just runs up and bowls, as far as I can see. Harmison was in the same position a year ago, and he's come on a bit, so it's perfectly possible that Jones will become a good bowler too when he gains a bit of savvy - by playing.

I hope that Troy Cooley and Freddy have a good look at how he got his wickets this evening, because it was when he started bowling a fuller length rather than the back-of-a-length stuff he'd been purveying up till then - even if it was a short one which got Hinds, it was the full-length balls before which made him play that awful shot to it. But this was an innings where he got slightly over-rewarded for his bowling, which is a change from being rather under-rewarded as per usual.

Giles was innocuous. No change there, then.

They can be pleased that they kept WI to 224, but they should all realise that this wasn't the best they could do.

Cheers,

Mike

a massive zebra

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
Two hundreds and one 5 wicket haul in over 30 matches is hardly stunning (not to mention the mediocre averages), and although he may be improving, he still needs to do a lot more to justify the high reputation he holds in many circles.

Craig

World Traveller
2003 was a great year for Charles (Lara), now 2004 has been a shocker.

He will likely smash a 287 in fustration and average 376.3 v Bangladesh...