• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in The West Indies

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
koch_cha said:
the performance of england bowlers in the last 2 games are all due to heactic schedule!!!!!!!!!!!(as claimed by all)
Erm, who has actually said that about the whole attack?

Nobody that I can think of, but don't let that spoil your story.

koch_cha said:
when actully they ddint play for a whole week

Yes, and then look at it in the greater context of 4 Tests in a little over 5 weeks.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously Andre you were out to flame me there because I referred in one of my posts that in India, NZ had it all wrong with their batting lineup...hence the reason why they were pretty much thumped in that series.

And im not sure why you've singled out NZ as being discussed in every thread...it usually happens with every team.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think Andre failed to see the relevance, especially when you actually break down this lost of "all rounders" to show there aren't actually that many in there.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I hate getting involved in arguments, but im not afraid to take one up.

The fact is..Andre has shown little interest in this thread. He's posted only 5 times & its no coincidence that he's had a go at me considering what has happened in 2 or 3 other threads before.

Thats the last I will post on the matter..now lets get back to the cricket.

Craig

World Traveller
Langeveldt said:
Only in Summer...

The irony of it is, there is far cheaper, more comprehensive English cricket coverage in places like Riyadh and the Sultanate of Oman, than there is next door to the Grace Gates...
That is ridicolus (sp).

bhooth nath

School Boy/Girl Captain
west indies look to be a highly inconsitent team. in the 1st 3 tests, when england took a small lead of less than 100, west indies collapsed in the 2nd innings to give england an easy target with which they won. west indies also made a 47 and 94 all out team score. in the 4th test, they made 751/5 :O

when it came to odis, west indies chased 280+ twice in 2 games. all this shows that west indies are not a good test team but still they are a good odi team, but are highly inconsistent. not so long ago, west indies made 54 all out chasing 263 and chased 300+ 2 games later despite the fact that they failed to chase 180 in the game between the 2.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I would say Harmison was unlucky in the last match, but the other bowlers just bowled rubbish. This England attack is 10x better than what the opposition has. Is it really so difficult to bowl 6 balls on the spot? When 280+ totals are conceded so regularly, there is a problem with the bowling attack. Much as many want Harmison out, he's the most effectiveo of the bowlers, Test or ODI. You'll have to remove the weakest link in the bowling. And is knocking over such a weak tail really a big task?

That said, the ground fielding was messy. How could anyone miss such an easy direct hit? That Bravo runout could have won the match!

tooextracool

International Coach
bhooth nath said:
west indies look to be a highly inconsitent team. in the 1st 3 tests, when england took a small lead of less than 100, west indies collapsed in the 2nd innings to give england an easy target with which they won. west indies also made a 47 and 94 all out team score. in the 4th test, they made 751/5 :O

when it came to odis, west indies chased 280+ twice in 2 games. all this shows that west indies are not a good test team but still they are a good odi team, but are highly inconsistent. not so long ago, west indies made 54 all out chasing 263 and chased 300+ 2 games later despite the fact that they failed to chase 180 in the game between the 2.
its not surprising that their best performances have been on the 3 flattest tracks of the tour.

V Reddy

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
its not surprising that their best performances have been on the 3 flattest tracks of the tour.

Yeah i was thinking along the same lines too. Have they replaced the Indian batsman as the FTB's ?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
You speak as if England were amazing on the seaming tracks. Take Thorpe and Butcher out of the equation and they struggled quite a bit too.

PY

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
You speak as if England were amazing on the seaming tracks. Take Thorpe and Butcher out of the equation and they struggled quite a bit too.
But surely, that's what they are there for and so you can't take them out of the equation.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
nope the english batting wasnt something to be proud off, the younger batsmen(trescothick,vaughan,flintoff and read) failed to impress in that test series and it was up to hussain,butcher and thorpe to bail them out every time. the difference between the 2 sides was that while englands main batsmen bailed them out the only 2 capable and experienced batsmen in those conditions struggled for form in that series.

bhooth nath

School Boy/Girl Captain
tooextracool said:
nope the english batting wasnt something to be proud off, the younger batsmen(trescothick,vaughan,flintoff and read) failed to impress in that test series and it was up to hussain,butcher and thorpe to bail them out every time. the difference between the 2 sides was that while englands main batsmen bailed them out the only 2 capable and experienced batsmen in those conditions struggled for form in that series.
tooextracool, the english batting was nothing special. in the tracks you call "flat", england made a score of less than 300 in the 4th test before vaughan helped england to a draw in the 2nd innings. in the 2 odis played on "flat" tracks, england suffered lower order collapses in both the matches and despite that fact that englishmen claimed that they have a strong bowling, they failed to defend 280 twice in 2 games. i guess england were just lucky to win the first 3 tests as the west indies team crmbled under pressure of conceding a 1st innings lead. had it been with any other team, the result would have been 2-1 to any of the 2 teams. this england 3-0 result is surprising.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
bhooth nath said:
tooextracool, the english batting was nothing special. in the tracks you call "flat", england made a score of less than 300 in the 4th test before vaughan helped england to a draw in the 2nd innings. in the 2 odis played on "flat" tracks, england suffered lower order collapses in both the matches and despite that fact that englishmen claimed that they have a strong bowling, they failed to defend 280 twice in 2 games. i guess england were just lucky to win the first 3 tests as the west indies team crmbled under pressure of conceding a 1st innings lead. had it been with any other team, the result would have been 2-1 to any of the 2 teams. this england 3-0 result is surprising.
That's an intriguing analysis.

The Antigua track was undeniably flat - the fact that we collapsed was down to fatigue in the field, and our second innings bore this out.

The "lower order collapses" in the St Lucia ODIs were solely down to the chase for quick runs. I'll take 280-8 over 275-3 every time, thanks.

280 wasn't a fantastic total by all accounts on that pitch - it seemed par for the course, very much like 220-235 would be on most grounds, so it didn't surprise me too much to see it chased down, especially the second time round with a broken Flintoff.

The difference between the two teams was the application of Thorpe, Hussain and Butcher and the fact that we did not collapse when it mattered.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Mxyzptlk said:

Hussain battled well as well to be fair to him.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
bhooth nath said:
in the 2 odis played on "flat" tracks, england suffered lower order collapses in both the matches
I'd hardly call it a collapse in the slog overs - they did what they had to do but it didn't work out.

bhooth nath said:
despite that fact that englishmen claimed that they have a strong bowling, they failed to defend 280 twice in 2 games.
Where have we claimed to have a strong attack?