• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa 2020

Heboric

International Debutant
Oh great, there seems to be more issues, a delayed start at best for the ODI

Change that to been cancelled again

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant
Really not a good look for CSA.
It does reflect badly on them, but for once it might not actually be their fault as it depends on who was tasked with creating and maintaining a COVID-free zone, and CSA may not have been directly responsible for that. If it's hotel staff who have tested positive then the hotel may be the guilty party here.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Some of these England players have been in some sort of lockdown bubble since pretty much the start of the English cricket summer, with the IPL coming straight after. I know it's not the worst thing happening at the moment, but this is going to be pretty tough on the mental health.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Aggers, one of the nicest chaps in cricket and possibly the most equanimous man ever to bowl seam up in tests, is positively fuming by his own mild standards:

Aggers said:
It's a shambles.

Both teams are staying in the same hotel in South Africa - they are segregated supposedly so I don't know how much contact the England players will have had with these two individuals. It just demonstrates that there has been a breakdown in the bio-secure bubble.

The England players weren't happy about the security anyway, and they were upset there were breaches during the Twenty20 series.

It would be a miracle if England were to continue. I suspect those games won't go ahead.

It's a pandemic, and everyone knows the virus won't just go away so we can play cricket.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The attitude of SA people to the whole pandemic is pretty blasé and relaxed. I was surprised that England were even happy to come play, as the entire country is a **** show. There was no hope to keep a secure bio-bubble with the no of infections. People here pretty much ignoring most sensible measures and doing what they want.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
So, is the whole ODI series cancelled? I don't see any discussions anywhere (e.g. cricinfo) regarding 2nd ODI supposed to be scheduled tomorrow.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Some of these England players have been in some sort of lockdown bubble since pretty much the start of the English cricket summer, with the IPL coming straight after. I know it's not the worst thing happening at the moment, but this is going to be pretty tough on the mental health.
How hard it is seems like a recurring theme in nearly every interview an England player has done in the last few months.

I feel especially for the guys like Banton and Ali. Spent most of the last 6 months in bubbles, out of form and rarely playing. England certainly need to make sure the support structures are in places for these guys in particular imo.

Least guys like Buttler and Archer have been playing whilst stuck in the bubble structure.

Bahseph

State Captain
That's all she wrote for the tour. Sad that we didn't get any cricket, but hopefully the security of these Bio-Bubbles are interrogated.

cnerd123

likes this
"Please be advised that the England cricket team has not adhered to the arrangements as agreed by all in the ESSPC [Event Security and Safety Planning Committee] meetings," the email read. "The practice nets next to the construction site is not allowed to be used on practice days. Three cages of nets was set up on the square on the field. This serves to inform you that the England Cricket Team has accessed and used the nets today (3 December 2020) at their own risk. WPCA and the ESSPC will not be held liable or responsible for the safety and health of the England Cricket Team."