• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in South Africa 2019/20

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
From 2 down for nothing with a batting line-up trying to find itself still but batting quite deep... I think we would like 300 because it is going to be so crap batting last on this wicket.
350+ tends to be winning targets in SA. Anything over 400 are almost guaranteed wins.

SeamUp

International Coach
He needs softer hands and to learn how to hit a ball along the ground to start with imo. That four he hit at the beginning of the over really shouldn't have been that aerial.
That is exactly it. The ball can sit in the pitch on day one here so you need to make sure you hitting over the ball and with softer hands. It has long been the concern of mine with modern highveld batsmen in SA. But they the one's scoring domestic runs on better pitches so the stats also help them out. Not saying it is the case with Markram but there are weaknesses in their games.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Markram hits it in the air when he is being aggressive, hence his issues at LO cricket. When he plays relaxed just about everything is along the ground and he plays much closer to his body. Markram has lost his patience.

SeamUp

International Coach
I still think Markrams natural attacking mindset makes him more suitable at 4. I really think with the way Moore is playing maybe a better option to open.

True. But I do think much of Markram mental problems is the pressure and expectations he puts on himself. When he is in a good head space can see how much more relaxed he is. It just feels like he is trying to hard.
Frustrating they won't venture much outside this squad of 17 for now. Ideally Moore dominates for the rest of the season and Pieter does averagely.

Was listening to Ashwell Prince - they trying to get more SA A games than just the winter tours which is great.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Frustrating they won't venture much outside this squad of 17 for now. Ideally Moore dominates for the rest of the season and Pieter does averagely.

Was listening to Ashwell Prince - they trying to get more SA A games than just the winter tours which is great.
Hopefully the squad is just for this series. Given how little time there was they kind of had to go with players who have been hanging around the senior and A sides. After England is done they'll have the opportunity to take a more critical look.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hearing Michael Atherton say "Tom Brady" out loud is such a depressing feeling. Deflated his immense character.

Bahseph

State Captain
Broad and Anderson might not always get their lengths right but they are always in the game. Shouldn't have played at that, but Hamza has upside.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I will say been quite a bit of movement this morning. Swing, bit of nip. I think SA could have been in much more trouble if England had just bowled a bit better.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Loss of Hamza was poor this morning. 2 wickets down having been put in I could accept. But losing the batsmen that looked good like that was really frustrating.