• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
They won't open with Compo and Cook. (Although they have virtually been doing that this series)
Especially as Compton doesn't even open for his county. Ditto Roy, going back to a previous comment.

Who's the latest wunder-tyke? Lees maybe? Not that I have any idea how he fared in 2015.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's just wrong to have Root named in a wheel of mediocrity. And that based on 5 tests. Criminal really!
Doesn't change the fact that he was mediocre, and seriously so.

It's more Tests than Hales looks like getting, for example.

Groundking

International Debutant
What would have been an acceptable series for Hales? A hundred? Two hundreds? Averaging 30? 40?

Still reckon we should keep him for Sri Lanka, unless someone seriously lays down a marker in the County game.
He really should have cashed in on that road that he got 60 on, and went big, and I think he should have ended the second innings of Joburg N.O. That an the way he's been getting out leaves me with no confidence for him to actually succeed, but I do agree that we should give hime a couple of home tests before we bin him, if only because everybody else has been so crap there too.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Shame about the rain, as this could have been put to bed tonight at this rate. Usual shambolic England approach to batting 4th when the targets anywhere ober 150.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Haha Cook gone...after a drought lasting nearly one-month, my betting luck seems to have turned finally

Spark

Global Moderator
What would have been an acceptable series for Hales? A hundred? Two hundreds? Averaging 30? 40?

Still reckon we should keep him for Sri Lanka, unless someone seriously lays down a marker in the County game.
A few occasions in which he gets to lunch, and hence blunts the new ball.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
He really should have cashed in on that road that he got 60 on, and went big, and I think he should have ended the second innings of Joburg N.O. That an the way he's been getting out leaves me with no confidence for him to actually succeed, but I do agree that we should give hime a couple of home tests before we bin him, if only because everybody else has been so crap there too.
He will get the first 2 tests i think. Partly because there is not a lot of time for anyone to hold their hand up early season.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Can't believe most of you still want to give Hales more chances....Even if you don't want to bring back Pietersen or Bell, I don't see how opening with Compton and keeping Ballance at 3 will be yield worse results than having the hack opening

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
very bad move from captain AB to replace Rabada by injured Abbott at this stage

If anything, he should've been happy seeing Rabada and Morkel bowl really well given that Abbott is injured....This is seriously worse captaincy than Amla...I'd have Morkel and Rabada bowl for 2 overs each more and then bring Piedt for the last over of the day to keep Abbott fresh if he's needed tomorrow

Last edited:

Stapel

International Regular
Doesn't change the fact that he was mediocre, and seriously so.
Fair enough I guess.
I have no clear recollection of Root's average-lifting mega innings being the one were England had a 200 runs first innings lead to build on. I probably missed it. I do remember Bell's innings though.

It's more Tests than Hales looks like getting, for example.
Yeah, that's likely indeed right now.

Still don't like the idea of Root being labelled medicore. Even if he was so.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He will get the first 2 tests i think. Partly because there is not a lot of time for anyone to hold their hand up early season.
Probably. But it has been depressing to think that someone as poor as him has managed to average 50 in each of the last two seasons in D1.

Spark

Global Moderator
Fair enough I guess.
I have no clear recollection of Root's average-lifting mega innings being the one were England had a 200 runs first innings lead to build on. I probably missed it. I do remember Bell's innings though.

Yeah, that's likely indeed right now.

Still don't like the idea of Root being labelled medicore. Even if he was so.
2nd innings at Lord's. Otherwise, Harris and Siddle did a number on him (and his technique at the time).