• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

supereddi08

School Boy/Girl Captain
ClownSymonds said:
Would they do anything to try and repair the damage done by Afridi to the pitch?
Not sure. You'd think they could if it was artificially created... depends how much damage there actually was, they never showed that on the tv.
It's funny though, this year we had to play on a pitch which wasn't fully dried out and our fast bowler almost created a crater where his front foot was landing, not really in a dangerous place but it still scared the poop out of me when I had to come in and bat, if I'd lasted longer than 2 overs I might have been concerned
:p

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Nothing like a bit of controversy to fire up fans!

This is what makes cricket. I still say bring back more biff though!

supereddi08

School Boy/Girl Captain
Big question is, what will happen tomorrow to top this day of drama? Explosions in the outer, run outs that aren't and then dance rehearsals on the weekend... someone may have noticed a game of cricket going on somewhere but I doubt it...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
pakster said:
twas a shame about inzi, what makes it even more infuriating is that Afridi and yusuf were given somewhat dodgy decisions too.
And what about the LBWs yesterday, or are those not worthy of mentioning?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As usual the BBC fails to produce an article on the blatant cheating from a Pakistan player because it might offend the Pakistani population.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
supereddi08 said:
Big question is, what will happen tomorrow to top this day of drama? Explosions in the outer, run outs that aren't and then dance rehearsals on the weekend... someone may have noticed a game of cricket going on somewhere but I doubt it...
To coin a phrase, "England are up the gum tree without a poodle." An innings defeat is looming.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
andyc said:
From what I gather, Afridi should be banned over Bell, seeing as how Bell's 'catch' may or may not have been deliberate, but Afridi's definetely was.
Having not seen it, I don't know about the deliberacy or otherwise of Bell's - but it is a well documented fact that the fielder in such circumstances has little clue if it bounces or not, especially when diving to take the ball.

He should really have said he didn't know when questioned.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Neil Pickup said:
Is it just me or is Ian Bell looking very, very solid indeed - I'm a lot, lot (okay, I've been up nigh-on seven hours and I seem to have run out of adjectives) more confident/less concerned when Bell's facing as opposed to KP.
And you honestly think people are discussing those stuff in this match? ;)

Anyway Bell has been good so far.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ClownSymonds said:
For the last time, it wasn't a bloody mistake. It was a perfectly sound decision, well within the Laws.
How exactly was it - pretty much everyone on here says there is a frame where the bat isn't in and the bails are off.

ClownSymonds said:
I loved Afridi's twirling around on the middle of the pitch. He's a real character, and should be commended on his complete insanity. It will be unfortunate if he is banned, because that was a great effort.
You really are bitter about the Ashes aren't you.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Having not seen it, I don't know about the deliberacy or otherwise of Bell's - but it is a well documented fact that the fielder in such circumstances has little clue if it bounces or not, especially when diving to take the ball.

Well documented where?

C_C

International Captain
Its about time we introduced technology in the game for the betterment of the game, instead of sticking to sentimental and outdated concepts of human eye being the ultimate judge.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
marc71178 said:
Being a crucial part of the game for England, fact is they needed a wicket, Bell made a decision and got away with it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Beleg said:
That's the thing though. A bad decision is a bad decision. Yousuf's was a bad deicision, I accepted that. Inzamam's however was a clear violation of cricketing rules.
No more so than someone being dismissed off a no ball...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Slow Love™ said:
A serious question: has Eddie got Beleg confused with somebody else? I always find the guy to be very reasoned and calm, and it seemed obvious that his "Ban Hair" line was a joke.

Probably a lot of frayed nerves after the day's play, maybe...
No, I took the 'Ban Hair' line as a joke a couple of hours before, and threw it in as a gag myself. I've tried not to take any sides whatsoever in the 'which transgressor of the rules was the gravest' because everything's all a bit petty.

I tried to explain my interpretation of why certain decisions had been made, but I guess that we were all guilty of misinterpreting what others were saying.

Nailing my own colours to the mast as follows regarding events during this game:

Bell was naughty (although he might not have known it at the time), but he was no Latif.
Inzy was terribly hard done by but Harmison was faultless in his own action (you try to judge whether someone is in or out from 22 yards)
The umpires were wrong
Inzy was superbly diplomatic the way he accepted it, especially in the post-play interview (but insisted he was not out).
Tresco's catch to get rid of Afridi was good (ball bounced up off the finger ends, we've seen it so many times before)
Afridi was an eejit to try to get away with scuffing the surface
Pietersen was better off staying out of it.

Disagree with any or all of them, I'm past caring.

C_C

International Captain
marc71178 said:
No more so than someone being dismissed off a no ball...
Err no.
No balls/out from ball pitching outside the leg stump etc. are judgement calls based on observation.
Inzy's dismissal was an error caused due to insufficient understanding of the rules from the umpire's part.
Simple as that.