• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
Anderson will play IMO.
I'd be surprised if they didn't pick 2 spinners out there, despite what the press are suggesting.

You can see us struggling to bowl Pakistan out - historically we always have done, over there, whoever's been our attack. Giles was our best bowler in 2000, and he should be a more confident perfomer now, but I think the rest will struggle. Maybe Fred will do OK if he gets it to reverse, and I'll be interested to see how Udal goes, but that's about it. My guess is that Vaughan will just try to keep it very tight and hope that the Pakistanis implode from time to time, which has been know to happen. I would imagine our batting will be more positive than 5 years ago though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd certainly think we'd be looking to play two spinners, particularly in light of Jones The Swerve's injury. If all 4 of our first choice seamers were fit I think you could make a case for going with them plus Gilo with Vaughan (& KP at a stretch) as the spinning back-up. Now tho, to chuck in the uncapped Tremlett (knee permitting) or the unproven Anderson in conditions that are far from conducive to seamers would seem a v big call & probably not fair on either.

It would also make picking Udal and Louden in a 17-man squad look a bit daft too!

tooextracool

International Coach
honestbharani said:
Why do you keep saying that everyone will struggle to score a run? First it was Tendulkar, now it is Hayden. I don't think Hayden is all that good in swinging conditions myself and I do think that the average flatters him quite a bit, but honestly, even you or I can score ONE RUN, no matter what the conditions are.
its an exaggeration, and an exaggeration generally puts a point down clearer than saying something like "hayden wouldnt score as many runs if he were playing in the 80s as he has during his career"

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Now that Jones is out it has obviously dented England's bowling for the ODI's and more importantly the test, in the ODI's i reckon Anderson should take the new ball with Harmison with either Freddie or Tremlett 1st change & in the test both spinners should play & the batting should be strengthened by including Collingwood. Thus Harmy & freddie will opening thr bowling & will have short burst while the spin twins do much bowling

My teams

ODI:

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Pietersen
Flintoff
Collingwood
Jones
Giles
Harmison
Tremlett
Anderson
Prior

test:

Trescothick
Strauss
Vaughan
Pietersen
Bell
Collingwood
Flintoff
Jones
Giles
Udal
Harmison.

tooextracool

International Coach
honestbharani said:
Actually, I think it would be better if you were to state what you stated in that post in the first place.
and i honestly dont think people would even take it seriously if i said it in that manner.

yohanna

Banned
wpdavid said:

You can see us struggling to bowl Pakistan out - historically we always have done, over there, whoever's been our attack. Giles was our best bowler in 2000, and he should be a more confident perfomer now, but I think the rest will struggle. Maybe Fred will do OK if he gets it to reverse, and I'll be interested to see how Udal goes, but that's about it. My guess is that Vaughan will just try to keep it very tight and hope that the Pakistanis implode from time to time, which has been know to happen. I would imagine our batting will be more positive than 5 years ago though.

Considering Pak batsmen haven't played test cricket since a long time, they are very rusty these days, and i think English's brilliant pace attack won't find it all that difficult to dismiss pakistan twice ina test match.

greg

International Debutant
aussie said:
na but i now that Jones is gone i rather play an extra batsman in Collingwood than play Hoggard.
I hope you don't mind, but I'd rather our selectors ignored your advice ;)

greg

International Debutant
aussie said:
yea because i dont reckon he will be effective in Pakistan...
Did OK in India. And his job isn't just to take stacks of wickets. Bowl his share of the overs and pick up the odd one or 2 here or there.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Don't say they had difficulties to him Tom, he'll have a go at you for dissing his boys or something...

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Did you not learn a thing from Australia's difficullties in England?
and did you not watch the first 3 tests of the ashes?
i dont support the exclusion of hoggard from the side, at least not anymore since jones is out, but if we see the usual pakistan conditions, hoggard will struggle to bowl anyone out.