• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

aliG

School Boy/Girl Captain
Barney Rubble said:
So even at their best, Pakistan can't beat England at home? I like the sound of that. :p

The big question is, though - who'll win the six-hitting contest? Flintoff, Pietersen, Afridi, or Razzaq? Should be a fun series! :D
Don't flatter yourself, really.

Afridi is a freak among freaks like gilchrist and sehwag. Flintoff and pieterson? You are putting them up against afridi? Razzaq....maybe...but afridi. Mind Boggling.

Overall, I really think England is really hyped up for this series. I believe in the two possibilities for the tests. Either a draw, or Pakistan wins the series. :)

As far as ODI, definately Pakistan. It will be close, with a demoralizing loss on each side.

Ofcourse all of those are predictions, but Inzimams mad about not getting selected for the world team. Sami reeely wants to comeback, and shoaib is simply hungry.

and once again. I think its self evident who will win in a spank the bowler contest: Afridi (just ask the australian pacemen, or the indian one...or the sri lankan one and so forth).

Barney Rubble

International Coach
aliG said:

Afridi is a freak among freaks like gilchrist and sehwag. Flintoff and pieterson? You are putting them up against afridi? Razzaq....maybe...but afridi. Mind Boggling..
Difference is, Flintoff and Pietersen have been hitting McGrath, Warne, Lee, Kasprowicz and Gillespie for six all summer - Afridi's agricultural slogging wouldn't have been good enough against them, just as it won't be good enough against the bounce of Harmison and the pace of Flintoff.

We've got enough Pakistani fans who worship the ground Afridi plods on around this forum already, we don't need more.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Difference is, Flintoff and Pietersen have been hitting McGrath, Warne, Lee, Kasprowicz and Gillespie for six all summer - Afridi's agricultural slogging wouldn't have been good enough against them, just as it won't be good enough against the bounce of Harmison and the pace of Flintoff.
Afridi has been able to hit McGrath/Warne/etc for sixes and has done so on a few occasions.
Why argue about this anyway?? Everyone knows Flintoff/Pietersen are better batsmen than Afridi - but Afridi is better at hitting sixes.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Dasa said:
Afridi has been able to hit McGrath/Warne/etc for sixes and has done so on a few occasions.
Why argue about this anyway?? Everyone knows Flintoff/Pietersen are better batsmen than Afridi - but Afridi is better at hitting sixes.
Fair enough.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
I guess that means you're getting incinerated and stuck in an urn yourself then when old age gets the better of you in 10 years or so...
Old age got the better of me a long time ago, and I became quite senile. After all, I accepted a job in the North East last year.

How much more proof do you need?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
aliG said:

Afridi is a freak among freaks like gilchrist and sehwag. Flintoff and pieterson? You are putting them up against afridi? Razzaq....maybe...but afridi. Mind Boggling.

Overall, I really think England is really hyped up for this series. I believe in the two possibilities for the tests. Either a draw, or Pakistan wins the series. :)

As far as ODI, definately Pakistan. It will be close, with a demoralizing loss on each side.

Ofcourse all of those are predictions, but Inzimams mad about not getting selected for the world team. Sami reeely wants to comeback, and shoaib is simply hungry.

and once again. I think its self evident who will win in a spank the bowler contest: Afridi (just ask the australian pacemen, or the indian one...or the sri lankan one and so forth).
well Afridi averages a six every 1.02 ODI innings, Flintoff one every 0.98, and both score 14% of their runs in test cricket through sixes. I'm not sure about Pietersen

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
and Pietersen scores 13.33% of his test runs in sixes and averages 1.66 per innings in ODI

so you see, its not as clearcut as you seem to think

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As Dasa said, its fairly obvious that Flintoff is a superior batsman than Afridi, and I'd pick Afridi in regards to 6 hitting but that argument is so futile its not even funny. What is relevant though will be seeing Razzaq, Pietersen, Flintoff and Afridi all battle it out. I await the fun :D

My predictions are 2-1 England for the tests, and 3-2 Pakistan for the ODIs, but if Flintoff turns it on in the ODI series it wouldn't exactly surprise me to see England win. But I do feel Pakistan are overall the better ODI outfit.

I'm actually very excited for this series, and will like to see how England play on the sub-continent following what looks like to be an Ashes victory (I may eat my words for that, and if so apologies to all the English on this board :P). It'll further hype up the England tour of India in March if they win in Pakistan.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
Didn't realise they still employed chimney sweeps around here.
Yup. they stuck a pole up my bot and used my Einstein-like hair as a brush.

The Pole wasn't happy, though, poor chap, but as it was in Middlesbrough he conceded that the scenery was much-improved.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
As Dasa said, its fairly obvious that Flintoff is a superior batsman than Afridi, and I'd pick Afridi in regards to 6 hitting but that argument is so futile its not even funny. What is relevant though will be seeing Razzaq, Pietersen, Flintoff and Afridi all battle it out. I await the fun :D

My predictions are 2-1 England for the tests, and 3-2 Pakistan for the ODIs, but if Flintoff turns it on in the ODI series it wouldn't exactly surprise me to see England win. But I do feel Pakistan are overall the better ODI outfit.

I'm actually very excited for this series, and will like to see how England play on the sub-continent following what looks like to be an Ashes victory (I may eat my words for that, and if so apologies to all the English on this board :P). It'll further hype up the England tour of India in March if they win in Pakistan.

Pretty much agree with your predictions there - you seem to be on good posting form today

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
Yup. they stuck a pole up my bot and used my Einstein-like hair as a brush.

The Pole wasn't happy, though, poor chap, but as it was in Middlesbrough he conceded that the scenery was much-improved.
Also the first bit of sunshine the Pole will have seen in days no doubt.

open365

International Vice-Captain
phht.

flintoff is a better player than Afridi all round,he could hit more sixes if he wanted to but there's no point when you have his abilty to hit fours along the ground,something which afridi cant do.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
He also said a lot of other things in that article, which favoured England.
but the fact that he started off by saying PAK start favourites kinda ruins his article methinks......

aliG

School Boy/Girl Captain
Barney Rubble said:

We've got enough Pakistani fans who worship the ground Afridi plods on around this forum already, we don't need more.
Its ok to be jealous. Nothing to be ashamed off some facts. Cmon take it like a man. :laugh:

When afridi gets going, all you can wear is a sheepish smile on your face. Flintoff. Yea we'll see brother. I predict atleast another batting world record for mister afridi.

Last edited:

twctopcat

International Regular
Pakistani fielding is pretty ordinary, so England definitely have the wood on them there. If Kaneria and Akhtar fail to turn up then so is the bowling. If we manage to nail Afridi and Inzi in the ODI's then we stand a very good chance. In fact the more i think about this the more i think we are going to win the tests and ODI's in a straightforward manner.