• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Pakistan

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Pffffft, just because you offer a chance or two, doesn`t mean you can`t have a great innings. Cricket is about making the most of your opportunites, and taking whatever luck comes your way. :)

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Nnanden said:
Pffffft, just because you offer a chance or two, doesn`t mean you can`t have a great innings. Cricket is about making the most of your opportunites, and taking whatever luck comes your way. :)
Offering chances is fine. Actually getting out but not going isn't.

Danish Kaneria is terrible at appealing.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
ClownSymonds said:
Am I saying anything ridiculous or unreasonable? Not at all. If you could see anything objectively, you'd know it to be true. England have used dirty tactics throughout this series and countless others. Feel free to put me on your ignore list though - I could easily do without your snide remarks.
To claim that anyone is "easily the dirtiest team in the world" is ridiculous, and unreasonable. Every team uses various underhand tactics to try to gain an upper hand, and if you think that by being Australian, you guys are somehow immune, then you're wrong in every possible way.

And remind me which team it was that won the ICC's Spirit Of Cricket Award at the ceremony recently? 8-)

ClownSymonds said:
I hate it when a batsman who is clearly out relatively early goes on to score a century.
I assume you cringed with horror as Matthew Hayden reached three figures at the Oval, then, as he was plumb lbw on about 38 IIRC. And Vaughan got Langer lbw on about 10, too, he also went on to make a hundred. No-one whinged then. But you're whinging now, because that's all you do. Give it a rest, it's getting boring.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I have nothing against batsmen staying at the crease if the umpire doesn`t give you out. Surely with the bad decisions you get, it all evens out?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How much movement is there? For a pitch that is flat I seem to be hearing 'ball cuts in' etc. quite often on the radio, obviously doesn't alter the incredible wicket-throwing-away ability of England's batting. England possibly have the best bowling attack in Test cricket, but ugh the batting - midtable stuff at best.

Barney Rubble said:
I assume you cringed with horror as Matthew Hayden reached three figures at the Oval, then, as he was plumb lbw on about 38 IIRC. And Vaughan got Langer lbw on about 10, too, he also went on to make a hundred. No-one whinged then. But you're whinging now, because that's all you do. Give it a rest, it's getting boring.
Now I've heard it all.

Comparing walking on LBW's (Which were by no means "plumb" BTW) to hitting the cover off it and being caught behind and clearly knowing you did so.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
If only England had a decent spinner or two, they`d have the best attack in the world. In saying that, when either McGrath or Warne are not in a match, the Aussie bowling side looks a lot weaker.

Bracken...

Scaly piscine

Nnanden said:
If only England had a decent spinner or two, they`d have the best attack in the world. In saying that, when either McGrath or Warne are not in a match, the Aussie bowling side looks a lot weaker.

Bracken...
Australia always have an obvious weak link you can get at (Lee), England have Harmison, Hoggard, Flintoff and Simon Jones who can do (nearly) all the bowling in a day - assuming they're all fit of course.

I do hope Peter Henderson is Clown Symonds so there's an excuse to ban both of them.

social

Scaly piscine said:
How much movement is there? For a pitch that is flat I seem to be hearing 'ball cuts in' etc. quite often on the radio, obviously doesn't alter the incredible wicket-throwing-away ability of England's batting. England possibly have the best bowling attack in Test cricket, but ugh the batting - midtable stuff at best.
Wicket is flat and good paced for batting

Bit of reverse and spin provides encouragement.

England's batting is talented but doesnt have too many brains.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Scaly piscine said:
Australia always have an obvious weak link you can get at (Lee), England have Harmison, Hoggard, Flintoff and Simon Jones who can do (nearly) all the bowling in a day - assuming they're all fit of course.
Love to see that attack in Mumbai! :D
Out of interest, who would you have as the Australian bowlers?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kaneria's over-appealing isn't doing himself any favours, its just making it harder for himself and Pakistan. Inzy should seriously just tell him to cool it down.

Scaly piscine

Nnanden said:
Love to see that attack in Mumbai! :D
Out of interest, who would you have as the Australian bowlers?
McGrath, MacGill, Warne. Dunno about the 4th spot - wouldn't be Lee tho, he's like a slightly better version of Mohammed Sami.

Gillespie if he was back on form would be first in the queue I guess, Kasper wouldn't be too far off - I thought he was dropped too quickly in the Ashes.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Nnanden said:
I have nothing against batsmen staying at the crease if the umpire doesn`t give you out. Surely with the bad decisions you get, it all evens out?
Peter Henderson said:
Now I've heard it all.

Comparing walking on LBW's (Which were by no means "plumb" BTW) to hitting the cover off it and being caught behind and clearly knowing you did so.
I'm not saying they should have walked on the lbw's - I wasn't saying anything about walking. The comment was "I hate it when a batsman is out and then goes on to make a hundred" - in the instances I quoted, the batsman was out and then went on to make a hundred, yet I'm sure ClownSymonds wouldn't have complained. Walking on an lbw is a ludicrous idea. I wasn't suggesting it should ever be done, merely that there's no point in complaining about bad umpiring decisions, as Nnanden says - regardless of how sporting the batsman is or isn't being.

Scaly piscine

Anyway I thought there'd only be an outside chance of it happening in this series, but it has happened:

3 Durham players in the England side

woohoo

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Scaly piscine said:
McGrath, MacGill, Warne. Dunno about the 4th spot - wouldn't be Lee tho, he's like a slightly better version of Mohammed Sami.

Gillespie if he was back on form would be first in the queue I guess, Kasper wouldn't be too far off - I thought he was dropped too quickly in the Ashes.
Fair call, the fourth/fifth bowler isn`t a great place for us at the moment! :ph34r:

Just randomly, what do you do for a crust? You seem like a teacher.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
To claim that anyone is "easily the dirtiest team in the world" is ridiculous, and unreasonable. Every team uses various underhand tactics to try to gain an upper hand, and if you think that by being Australian, you guys are somehow immune, then you're wrong in every possible way.

And remind me which team it was that won the ICC's Spirit Of Cricket Award at the ceremony recently? 8-)

I'm going by observation. Instead of talking about how every team uses underhanded tactics, why don't you give us any reason to believe that England doesn't do so more than everyone else. Vaughan running from position to position, fielders claiming catches they dropped, Collingwood not walking - maybe even trying to convince the umpire that he wasn't out - after clearly edging the ball... All that is what England have done just this tour. And their legacy of such behaviour goes all the way back to bodyline and beyond. I've never considered Australia "somehow immune". It just happens that Australia doesn't need to cheat in order to win, and they play the game cleanly. You are simply jealous.

Anything having to do with the ICC isn't worth paying much attention to.

Actually, I honestly would have been fine with Haydos and Langer getting out early and not going on to score big, if they truly were out LBW. Any batsman, even an Australian one, doesn't deserve anything after getting out. I wouldn't complain about the team's position, no, but the individual scores would bother me. Being out LBW and going on, though, is one thing - being caught behind and going on is another.

I'm sick and tired of grumpy, discontented people making personal attacks against me (or others, for that matter) simply because they don't like to hear certain things, usually about their beloved English team. You accuse me of "whinging" when all I did was comment on my displeasure at batsmen going on after clearly being out. Then you go on to say that that's all I do. I suppose you are quite sensitive about any negative comments about England, so you see anything like that as being whinging. And I suppose you are either not very observant (since the balance between my complaints and other comments is equivelant to that of pretty much everyone else here), or only notice the posts I make that have to do with England.

Even if I do whinge on occasion, which pretty much everyone here does regularly, I only whinge about things having to do with cricket. You, on the other hand, whinge about other members when you have absolutely no right to. As for me boring you - I couldn't care less. You can join that bird and put me on your ignore list. As I said to it, I could easily do without your snide remarks.