• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Pakistan (T20, September 2022)

Xuhaib

International Coach
Be careful, don't say something like that, even sarcastically. You'll upset the whiners at PakPassion who'd seem to prefer slitting their wrists to having Rizwan in the team.
I am pretty sure Sharjeel Khan posts there, he has this unhealthy obsession with Rizwan undermining any knock of significance from him with a final conclusion that a 20 ball 40 from Sharjeel Khan would have been more beneficial for Pakistan cause .

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know my views on this are generally disagreed with, but still would have Joe Root in all teams, not even like he hasn't got a signature one-day shot that puts pressure on any bowler.

Freed of the captaincy, why not? Unless he doesn't want too,

It's like Oz leaving out Smith or Kiwis leaving out KW. Yet he's got a much better T20 International record than both, oh and he can bowl a bit.

In the end people need to not look at strike-rates for Englands improvement over a decade in this form, it's more to do with we had/have players that go on to biggish scores that's what get's the huge totals, of 200plus in t20, and 350plus in 50 over, not quick 20 or 30s and out, that's what we used to do.

Mind you at our nadir it was slow 20 or 30s and out, the golden days of Prior, Bell and Bopara...

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I know my views on this are generally disagreed with, but still would have Joe Root in all teams, not even like he hasn't got a signature one-day shot that puts pressure on any bowler.

It's like Oz leaving out Smith or Kiwis leaving out KW. Yet he's got a much better T20 International record than both, oh and he can bowl a bit.

In the end people need to not look at strike-rates for Englands improvement over a decade in this form, it's more to do with we had/have players that go on to biggish scores that's what get's the huge totals, of 200plus in t20, and 350plus in 50 over, not quick 20 or 30s and out, that's what we used to do.

Mind you at our nadir it was slow 20 or 30s and out, the golden days of Prior, Bell and Bopara...
Root would undoubtedly be better than Malan. I don't think there's any cause for panic though because it's a totally different side with Buttler, Stokes, and Livingstone in it. Root not playing T20s makes sense from a workload perspective. Definitely a better T20 batsman than Smith and Williamson as you say. I'd just wheel him out for tournaments tbh even if that's harsh on the guys that play the format regularly. I'd also do the same with Wood.

FBU

International Debutant
Root would undoubtedly be better than Malan. I don't think there's any cause for panic though because it's a totally different side with Buttler, Stokes, and Livingstone in it. Root not playing T20s makes sense from a workload perspective. Definitely a better T20 batsman than Smith and Williamson as you say. I'd just wheel him out for tournaments tbh even if that's harsh on the guys that play the format regularly. I'd also do the same with Wood.
Now Root is not captain any more and he doesn't play in any franchises so he doesn't have that much of a workload. Meanwhile Malan is complaining about too much cricket (wants 10 cc games). Root much better fielder as well and bowls.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year

Im pretty sure most NZ fans on here want Kane binned from the T20 team, and realistically smith isn't in our strongest T20 11 unless marsh is injured, but I got the point your making.

grecian

It's not panic for me though, it's how I certainly would have gone without Morgan in the side, still not convinced by Livingstone at this level, and for the Tournament that is coming up now Livingstone is undercooked, as Moeen said.

Yet it isn't going to happen so I should probably shut up about it.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain

Still remember this excellent innings in the 2016 wc.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
100% Joe Root makes England's best side in any format. Surely it's his call not playing T20i's?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He clearly doesn't have the limitations Williamson, Smith or even Babar do. Never gets tied down my spin, for example and is as capable of the funky shots as anyone including Buttler. I think he'd hit the sweet spot between batting long and a higher SR like Kohli and Faf. Personally don't think it's worth bothering him with this ****e when England play so many tests.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
100% Joe Root makes England's best side in any format. Surely it's his call not playing T20i's?
From past interviews while he was Test captain I got the sense that it wasn't his decision to stop playing T20Is, but he (slightly begrudgingly) accepted the logic in leaving him out. Not sure what his feelings are now he's no longer captain.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Yes Root is dynamic enough to be an asset in T 20 not that he is overly needed by England, would definetly be my first name for the team sheet had he been a Pakistani.

Apex Predator

State Vice-Captain
Root would be in every T20 side. He has got the range... Especially against spin.
He is now reverse scooping even pacers in Test cricket so his skill level is definately suitable for T20s. Playing Malan over him doesn't makes sense.

Reactions: FBU

grecian

No Mark Wood or Stone, hmm, think this is Gleeson's last chance.

I know it's coming back in some strange quarters, but is topley really sporting a mullet?

Preed

U19 12th Man
Any body else worried by the fact that Rashid has lost the knack of taking wickets and with Willey is becoming a luxury.Gleeson not the answer.We have Wood but who else

grecian

Any body else worried by the fact that Rashid has lost the knack of taking wickets and with Willey is becoming a luxury.Gleeson not the answer.We have Wood but who else
Rashid has possibly gone, mind you at least it'll stop comms going on about him playing in Test after a half-decent spell in limited overs, even though he hasn't played a first-Class match in years, so I'm almost happy about it.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah it's definitely a worry as it doesn't feel like it's just a form dip, his effectiveness has been on a steady decline. He's been a huge part of our white bowl attacks and not like we have any other spinners knocking on the door for selection, certainly no one who could step in for the world cup. Livingstone's part time stuff often picks up wickets to be fair, but is usually expensive. Mo's bowling in this format is expensive too, and usually doesn't pick up wickets.

Other than Wood, Topley is pretty reliable these days. Then we've Rashid and then an array of allrounders who have good days and bad ones. I guess our first choice XI for the WC will have Wood/Topley/Rashid plus 1 or 2 of Woakes/SCurran/Willey/Jordan plus all of Stokes/Livingstone/Moeen.

Preed

U19 12th Man
I don’t know who picked the World Cup squad but he wants sacking Willey a medium paced trundler.Salt should be no where near the team.We have lost more games than we have won since new coach and captain arrived.What does a man who has been coaching Australia women give to us