• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't buy the old 'the English are arrogant' trope. It's dull.

Stewart is misinformed - undoubtedly - but it's little more than that with a dollop of ex-player/pundit/fan over-rating his own thrown in. Happens everywhere in every sport.

Saying that, as a NZ fan, I know the only English player getting into our side is Archer for Boult, cos he's injured.
You can have him. He's not English anyway.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
According to The Cricketer podcst; CdG also wasn't bowling in last half of the day due to injury.

The Hutt Rec

henry is a better bowler than kuggs and to commit the sin of format crossing, seems to have reduced his melting during the wc. in tests when he's been bad he's usually just bowled the 'unlucky' length and been innocuous. when kuggs is bad for nd and nz a he gets smashed.

im expecting us to get pulverised as usual until i see otherwise so meh, but we're already all in on the current bowling crop adapting to australian conditions. nz are trusting southee/boult to lift their game and wagner/cdg to adapt on their first tour like they have elsewhere. ferguson obv plays in place of someone.

it would just be kicking a team when they're down for me to list a non-controversial combined xi. the bowling spots would be hotly contested if we were playing in england or an ashes series.

they've fallen behind in how to bowl here and show very little interest in learning. the pink ball should really help them next game though.
I don’t think the second test is a day nighter?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Racism sucks. No question. And I'm all for stamping it out by bringing attention to it.

But it doesn't detract from the win. No NZ player was involved in the alleged (and it is alleged) abuse. And it was one person, allegedly, of 4.5million in our country. I'm never sure why we treat the 0.001 percent of the population's behaviour like it's in any way indicative of the society around it.
Fair point. One I'm sure you'll remember when some idiot in Bay 13 inevitably has a crack at Ross Taylor on Boxing Day

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's probably indicative of attitude in English cricketing circles. You'd think that an innings defeat would encourage a bit of humility, but then again maybe not.
He might still be caught up in the excitement of the WC draw.

ataraxia

International Coach
Anyone else have that sinking feeling they’ll play Henry over Ferguson on Friday?
I have a stinking feeling that they'll play Astle over Ferguson. But in all seriousness, no. BTW somehow Henry is younger than Ferguson. Somehow.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldn't be surprised. Tbf, Henry's done a better job in matches where he's opened the bowling (averaging 37 compared to his career average of nearly 50). But really, Ferguson in should be a total no-brainer. There's no downside to having a punt on him in the second test. Even if he bowls junk and we lose, this series isn't a part of the World Championship, and a 1-1 series draw won't affect our no 2 world ranking. I could totally see the coaching staff talking themselves into picking Henry on the basis that he's a better bat though.

Last edited:

nzfan

Doesn't matter who they pick I have full faith in our selectors to pick the correct team. They have got it right so often recently it's unbelievable. The series in UAE we kept complaining CDG is no good vs spin but he was consistently picked and he did a good job with the ball. We weren't so sure about Henry but he delivered in the world cup. I think at this point in time, anyone comes in will go well for Black Caps. The environment must be very good for the players to walk into and express their talent. Personally I'd go with Lackie but Henry can do the job as well if given a go.

Immenso

In the TMS podcast at the end of day 3. Steve Finn mentioned that he thought about 90% of the wickets up to that point had had batsmen contribute to their own downfall. Only Williamson to the lifter and Sam Curran to the first ball inswinger were attributed purely to 'not batsman error'. (I'm not disagreeing).

Interesting to wrap that up at the end of the test, I don't think that stat would have moved much in the remaining wickets. NZ's eventual tail-end slogging and England's confused stonewalling.

I'd probably only add Denly and Leach (although Leach was umpire and review error). Maybe Broad. Maybe Stokes 2nd dig (Stokes IMO was a perfectly reasonable shot, just are the stonewalling or aren't they ....)
(Actually I missed seeing the last few NZ wickets before the declaration)

Dodgy day 5 pitch, but the action was outside the line of the stumps.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
They're probably not as flashy or don't have as big a reputation as most of our players, but they're certainly more effective. Not just based on the last Test but I'm sure the likes of Santner and Watling would find a way in, underrated cricketers but what we'd give for a Watling coming in following an inevitable top order collapse and steadying the ship, even it some would consider it done in an 'ugly' fashion. Paul Collingwood used to do a similar role for England and he's on the coaching staff now, he will be only too aware of the value of a gritty batsman down in the middle order.

You could also make strong cases for Tom Latham, Henry Nicholls, Ross Taylor, and Colin de Grandhomme. On the bowling front, Boult would add some lovely variety, would have him over Curran any day!
Mate, it's a question of who would make the NZ XI? At the moment I can only really make a case for Ben Stokes based on form/performance. Ask him to open in the place of Raval.