• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in New Zealand 2019

Flametree

International 12th Man
What's the rule on impact anyway? What does "in line with" mean.... Anything in line, all in line, >50% in line?
I'm going to guess whoever first drafted the law didn't give it much thought...

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Raval ridiculously lucky. Maybe he can put away those shots for another ten overs - worth it to give Taylor and Nicholls an easier start.

thierry henry

International Coach
Why does umpire's call cover impact? No one knows. But very slightly outside anyway.
Have made this same complaint many times. As it isn't a predictive path, surely they can narrow it down to a precise point? Although maybe I'm oversimplifying as I guess depending on the angle of approach of the ball, it may be difficult to define which point on the ball touches pad first?

thierry henry

International Coach
What's the rule on impact anyway? What does "in line with" mean.... Anything in line, all in line, >50% in line?
I'm going to guess whoever first drafted the law didn't give it much thought...
Surely with a round ball first impact is a specific point?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Surely with a round ball first impact is a specific point?
HawkEye isn't actually very good at this though. Point of impact is its weakest feature to the point of it actually being the area that causes the most uncertainty with the predictive element as well. It's extremely good at predicting the path of the ball once it knows where it start predicting from, but the determination of where that is is disturbingly manual.

I think it still treats the "front" of the ball to be the first point of impact even though pads aren't square and batsmen can move in three dimensions. That's why we still have umpire's call on impact.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I know he's not in form and he has trouble rotating the strike at the best of times, but that was terrible from Raval. Just stay there for another ten overs ffs.

thierry henry

International Coach
HawkEye isn't actually very good at this though. Point of impact is its weakest feature to the point of it actually being the area that causes the most uncertainty with the predictive element as well. It's extremely good at predicting the path of the ball once it knows where it start predicting from, but the determination of where that is is disturbingly manual.

I think it still treats the "front" of the ball to be the first point of impact even though pads aren't square and batsmen can move in three dimensions. That's why we still have umpire's call on impact.
Yeah I have never understood why there would be a margin of error in the PREDICTION since it’s just extrapolating from the existing data, and since when were umpires supposed to account for random changes in trajectory after impact anyway? But this makes a lot more sense

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I have never understood why there would be a margin of error in the PREDICTION since it’s just extrapolating from the existing data, and since when were umpires supposed to account for random changes in trajectory after impact anyway? But this makes a lot more sense
Tbh I don't think we need umpire's call on the predictive element anymore at all. Exactly which part of the ball first hit the pad doesn't really effect where the ball is heading. It just makes people feel better, and also helps to make a massive amount of lbws not immediately change the game in a way people would be uncomfortable with. Your average cricket fan isn't really ready for the robot revolution.

I think we still need one on impact though. It's just not very good at it. Still better than Cevno watching on TV overall but not in every circumstance given it literally relies on a Cenvo TV-watcher to interpret data and tell it where to stop, and people are (and probably will be for a looong time) much more forgiving of live human error than computer error after we've spent five minutes looking at replays and waiting for data crunching.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Guardian OBO:

13th over: New Zealand 39-1 (Raval 10, Williamson 12) The wind ruffles Williamson’s shirt, but he remains unruffled. And that’s a just lip-smackingly gorgeous common or garden jab for four off Archer. He’s your best friend’s mysterious, kind, yet untouchable older brother.