• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Now VR Singh, after an outside and inside edge and a freak cover-drive, is now bowled by a Flintoff yorker. It's not over yet....Munaf Patel is yet to come.

GRRRRR......Declaration....Munaf didn't get to bat

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Scaly piscine said:
Can't believe how excited people get over warm-up matches...
If you're watching the match, you would, too. Besides, after a long time, they're showing a domestic or warm-up match on television here.

PY

International Coach
Arjun said:
If you're watching the match, you would, too. Besides, after a long time, they're showing a domestic or warm-up match on television here.
Eh?

Mis-quote?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Arjun said:
I can see how you might comment on some player looking in good touch or is a good prospect, but it's a warm-up game so the result is next to meaningless.

Anyway most of the England bowlers got a good work-out and that's the main thing.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Scaly piscine said:
I can see how you might comment on some player looking in good touch or is a good prospect, but it's a warm-up game so the result is next to meaningless.

Anyway most of the England bowlers got a good work-out and that's the main thing.
The coverage of domestic matches in India, if any, was pathetic, until Nimbus came into the scene. Even the matches covered were boring, until this one, which has a lot of action.

chicane

State Captain
coverage is typically doordarshan.

munaf was the quickest on show....bowled the fastest ball of the match. got strauss early.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
But the performance isn't, as we saw in Pakistan. Given how our batters have fared so far, that lesson has yet to be learned. I can see that the quick bowlers may not give it 100%, but that's another matter.

Scaly piscine said:
Anyway most of the England bowlers got a good work-out and that's the main thing
Yes, that was useful, although I'm still worried that we're doing nothing with the new ball.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
wpdavid said:
But the performance isn't, as we saw in Pakistan. Given how our batters have fared so far, that lesson has yet to be learned.
No the attitude needs adjusting, the fact that the batters have not done much in warm-up games is meaningless because they were just as bad in series they've won as well as lost. All the games have done as far as batting goes is to indicate that Strauss is out of form.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
No the attitude needs adjusting, the fact that the batters have not done much in warm-up games is meaningless because they were just as bad in series they've won as well as lost. All the games have done as far as batting goes is to indicate that Strauss is out of form.
'Fraid I just don't accept that what we did in SA was a model for how to win series in the future. We got away with it then because (1) SA weren't as good as they had been (2) they made several duff selections in the crucial 1st test, and (3) even some of their better players underperformed badly at PE. Even in SA, most of our batting was pretty ropey, but we got away with it. We won't always be so lucky.

I think another factor is the little matter of acclimatisation. Pitches in SA aren't as different to English ones as those in the subcontinent. In Pakistan, our batters never gave themselves a chance to get their eye in and build some seriously big scores. I was hoping to see some sign of a different attitude this time, but it hasn't happened yet.

CDAK

U19 Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Faster than the English bowlers?
Munaf was/is the fastest bowler in India now.(bowls at an average of 145 km/hr). Probably English bowlers might have done slower as it was practice match. I remember munaf bowled a 152 km/hr ball against NZL in a practice match.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
This is Strauss's time to show if he's actually true class. He's had a dream first few years of test cricket, and now the down period is starting to come, lets see what he's made of.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
LOL @ Gambhir tonning up. Good to see, but is a little funny.

Whilst I like Raina and see him as a future talent (Rao too from the little I've seen of him), maybe they selected too many middle order players in the squad. Gambhir being in there would have made sense, but its a small matter really since by all accounts Jaffer played well in his 48 and deserves the opportunity.

Either way the people who have been chosen in the squad but probably won't get a game unless something goes terribly wrong (Raina and Chawla) are more than likely just there to give them confidence and have them adjust to the atmosphere of Indian test cricket. I mean really, that squad is bigger than most squads for a team playing at home. Its clear what they're trying to do.
I think they have a clear idea what they want to do.

OPENERS :
They have decided to give Jaffer an extended run and in order to make that clear to him have not taken a standby. They wont drop him even after a couple of failures. But if he fails to impress all through the series that may be curtains for him.

MIDDLE ORDER : With Yuvraj unfit, they have three fixtures in Dravid, Tendulkar and Laxman. For the fourth spot they have a choice between Kaif and Raina. One of these two will play the first game and if he does well, the other may be replaced by Yuvraj in the squad for the second game. If the one who plays fails, he may leave the squad and Yuvraj to come in. There is an outside chance of Laxman being dropped if he fails in the first two tests in which case both Kaif and Raina will stay in the squad.

SPINNERS : Piyush has replaced Karthik and will be on the bench. First choice spinner will be Kumble and second Harbhajan(to play only if we play two spinners). Piyush might replace Harbhajan if the series is decided in the first two tests or one of the first two spinners is unfit.

PACERS : This the major cause of concern with only Pathan a cert. Hence three youngsters in Sreesanth, RP and VRV. I think the pecking order for these three is RP, Sreesanth and VRV. They will be tried in that order with Munaf waiting on the sidelines and may come in in the third if a combination from these three plus Irfan is uneffective in the first two.

I think this is a very sensible strategy with everyone knowning what is expected from them.

adharcric

International Coach
damn, why is munaf taking all the wickets. join in the action, VRV!

if this keeps happening, i seriously hope munaf gets drafted into the side soon. he's demolishing the english lineup.