• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

tony p

First Class Debutant
Wonder what Duckett will say after today. " We have them right where we want them. A good day for our spinners."

Chin Music

State 12th Man
At least the Jurgen Klopp news will mean we get very little coverage of how bad we were today.
I have been winding up a Liverpool fan on an appropriate WhatsApp thread. The only thing is that he seems quite enamoured of Xabi Alonso walking into the job, so it hasn't really had much effect on him..

He even had a chuckle with the thought that Gerrard was third favourite for the post!

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How the **** do you not bowl 90 overs in India of all places?
With only one fast bowler too, who bowled just 11 overs. And the run rate for the day was pretty normal, so it's not like they were having to fetch the ball from the boundary exceptionally often. And three reviews is not that many.

That's why I disagree with those who think over rates aren't a problem, or who say it will always mean trading off quality cricket. It's not that the spectator is being shortchanged by not getting in an arbitrary number of overs, it's that it's usually caused by dawdling. There's nothing duller than watching a cricket match where all too often no cricket is happening for no obvious reason.

Spark

Global Moderator
We should have strung up the BCCI officials but sadly the bozos live to see another day.
Seriously they got away with it massively with Aus's self-destruction in those two sessions at Delhi. If not for that heads would have rolled.

Spark

Global Moderator
With only one fast bowler too, who bowled just 11 overs. And the run rate for the day was pretty normal, so it's not like they were having to fetch the ball from the boundary unusually often. And three reviews is not that many.

That's why I disagree with those who think over rates aren't a problem, or who say it will always mean trading off quality cricket. It's not that the spectator is being shortchanged by not getting in an arbitrary number of overs, it's that it's usually caused by dawdling. There's nothing duller than watching a cricket match where all too often no cricket is happening for no obvious reason.
At least of late, it really does seem like it's not the nature of the bowler that matters but how ****ing long it takes to set fields. Sometimes it feels like we spend more time watching captains wandering around and pointing at people than we do actual cricket.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
At least of late, it really does seem like it's not the nature of the bowler that matters but how ****ing long it takes to set fields. Sometimes it feels like we spend more time watching captains wandering around and pointing at people than we do actual cricket.
I've made that point a lot. It's even a big problem in club cricket, and it can lead to some seriously dilatory overs from off spinners with three metre long runs.

Another particular bugbear of mine is spinners (almost always leg spinners) who stand at the start of their run, while the batsmen is ready, spinning the ball in their hands. I'm not sure what it's achieving aside from tiring the fingers and creating inconsistent grips, but some bowlers will waste a good few seconds each delivery doing it, which builds up surprisingly quickly. I wonder when that habit started.

Spark

Global Moderator
I've made that point a lot. It's even a big problem in club cricket, and it can lead to some seriously dilatory overs from off spinners with three metre long runs.

Another particular bugbear of mine is spinners (almost always leg spinners) who stand at the start of their run, while the batsmen is ready, spinning the ball in their hands. I'm not sure what it's achieving aside from tiring the fingers and creating inconsistent grips, but some bowlers will waste a good few seconds each delivery doing it, which builds up surprisingly quickly. I wonder when that habit started.
That last bit reminds me a little of how many tennis players will bounce the ball a dozen plus times before serving. It's totally pointless from a mechanical point of view and wastes time, but it does seem to work as far as routine-setting goes. I wonder if that's similar.