• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Emerging Nations Cricket Thread

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Yeah, that isn’t Namibia’s first XI. None of their best players were in that game. Not dissimilar to Kent beating South Africa today too - none of South Africa’s first or even 5th team (™) which toured NZ in that line up.

Still good wins for Nigeria and Kenya though.
They still had players who have been capped by Nambia before and Loftie-Eaton is one of the best young players in the first team ..So still an upset.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They still had players who have been capped by Nambia before and Loftie-Eaton is one of the best young players in the first team ..So still an upset.
It may still be an upset, but there’s no way you can claim that is a Namibia lineup. At best, it’s Namibia A. At best, you could claim 3 regular first teamers are in the line up.

cnerd123

likes this
Depth of talent is not as strong in Associate teams and all the sides from rank 25 below are very close to each other in quality anyways. Losing a few key players makes a massive difference and really lets the lower ranked associates close the gap

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Final of African games today between Namibia and Zimbabwe. South Africa really could have sent at least a B side instead of a E side.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Zimbabwe sent the strongest side and won gold convincingly, no surprises there.
Strangely, games involving South Africa - sorry University something something South Africa and Zimbabwe don't appear to have been given T20I status, though other games have. No idea why Zimbabwe's games have had the T20I status withdrawn when, as you say, they had the strongest team.

Chubb

International Regular
Strangely, games involving South Africa - sorry University something something South Africa and Zimbabwe don't appear to have been given T20I status, though other games have. No idea why Zimbabwe's games have had the T20I status withdrawn when, as you say, they had the strongest team.

All the countries involved seemed to have different ideas about whether they were official games. The associates all thought they were full internationals. SA sent university players and Zim sent under-25s (though still the strongest side, since they all had first class experience and some caps).

I understand SA raised concerns about the impact on their T20 ranking and the ICC/Africa Games decided to strip the full member games of international status but keep it in place for the others. Zimbabwe would have argued for full status because it would benefit their ranking but the decision is consistent.

Dendarii

International Debutant
All the countries involved seemed to have different ideas about whether they were official games. The associates all thought they were full internationals. SA sent university players and Zim sent under-25s (though still the strongest side, since they all had first class experience and some caps).

I understand SA raised concerns about the impact on their T20 ranking and the ICC/Africa Games decided to strip the full member games of international status but keep it in place for the others. Zimbabwe would have argued for full status because it would benefit their ranking but the decision is consistent.

It doesn't appear to be a case of stripping the games of international status but rather that they should never have had international status in the first place. From your link (which is also on Cricinfo here):
In 2022, an ICC document titled "Classification of Official Cricket" recognised all T20 matches that are "played in accordance with the ICC Standard Men's and Women's Twenty20 International Playing Conditions and other ICC regulations pertaining to Twenty20 International Matches," as internationals apart from matches involving A teams or age-group sides.
South Africa had declared even before the tournament started that the men's team was a university team and the women's team was an emerging one. So that would mean that by the ICC regulations, the matches involving South Africa shouldn't have been given international status and in a bit of unfortunate timing, it makes it look like CSA insisted on international status being withdrawn after the loss to Kenya. Although they really should have been paying attention and objected to the matches' international status before that.

Zimbabwe's case is a little murkier. Even though the team were all under-25 I don't think it's the ICC's place to make a ruling on whether it's a age-group side or not. So if Zimbabwe had declared the side to be an age-group side then there rightly should be no international status to the matches, but if they recognised it as a senior side then surely they should still count as international matches.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
It doesn't appear to be a case of stripping the games of international status but rather that they should never have had international status in the first place. From your link (which is also on Cricinfo here):

South Africa had declared even before the tournament started that the men's team was a university team and the women's team was an emerging one.
Any link on this one? The African games were declared to have T20I status 3 months before the games. So, it is not as if the CSA suddenly knew that these are given international status.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Any link on this one? The African games were declared to have T20I status 3 months before the games. So, it is not as if the CSA suddenly knew that these are given international status.
This was the squad announcement, which uses the names that the teams were eventually given after international status was removed from the matches.

And from the Cricinfo article:
ESPNcricinfo understands that had the games been full internationals, South Africa would not have participated in the event.
So it looks as though CSA were given the OK to send development sides to the tournament and a mistake was made by making the matches internationals.