• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Emerging Nations Cricket Thread

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Big game for UAE and Nepal today. Both looking to get above 1 win:loss ration in League 2. Still both a chance to finish top three and advance automatically to the WC qualifier.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Final leg of League 2 starting today. Both UAE and Nepal have to win all their 4 matches in this leg to get into top 3 for direct qualification to the qualifiers. A single loss and they are out into the pre-qualifiers.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Final leg of League 2 starting today. Both UAE and Nepal have to win all their 4 matches in this leg to get into top 3 for direct qualification to the qualifiers. A single loss and they are out into the pre-qualifiers.
What's the maths here? I assume UAE and Nepal both play each other (as well as PNG). There's 4 games left, so 8 points available. I don't think it's possible for both to overhaul Namibia, so really it's a competition between UAE and Nepal for that 4th slot currently occupied by the USA, yes?

Namibia 39 points, NRR +0.3
USA 35 points, NRR -0.02
Nepal 32 points, NRR -0.2
UAE 31 points, NRR -0.11

So, Nepal can make 40 points and finish 3rd, but in doing so, the UAE could only reach 35 points, so Namibia are still ahead. Similarly, if the UAE reach 39 points, then they finish 4th behind Namibia and the most Nepal could get to is 36 points, shifting USA down to 6th?

HeathDavisSpeed

Just quietly, this has been a decently competitive tournament - very close between Oman and UAE with Scotland reasonably clear at the top and PNG reasonably clear at the bottom. I'd like to call it a success. I wonder how it has performed financially for these teams. That's the real question when it comes to Tier 2 sustainability. I think these larger tripartite/quad series help reduce the costs, which has been very useful at this level.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Just quietly, this has been a decently competitive tournament - very close between Oman and UAE with Scotland reasonably clear at the top and PNG reasonably clear at the bottom. I'd like to call it a success. I wonder how it has performed financially for these teams. That's the real question when it comes to Tier 2 sustainability. I think these larger tripartite/quad series help reduce the costs, which has been very useful at this level.
I think it's already been scrapped. :(

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Oh FFS. Any replacement or are we casting these teams back into the ether?

I should have known better than to make a positive comment about Associate development.
Nothing confirmed yet, including the scrapping itself, but the ODI Super League for the main teams that exists above it was scrapped about 18 months ago in favour of the old WC qualification system based on ICC rankings, so I think it's fair to assume the Tier 2 league will be scrapped as well and these teams will 'back into the ether' as you said.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Nepal continuing their good run - 8 of their last 9 now - but that loss to UAE in the middle of it will probably end up hurting.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Another big win for Nepal. :toot:

Win the next two and they'll come from nowhere to finish 3rd and get automatic qualification for the WC Qualifying tournament.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think it's fair enough to have cracks at Kuggs given what he straight up admitted to (despite the acquittal), but I'm not sure it's right to do it with Lamichanne given he hasn't had his day in court and we know little of the details.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it's fair enough to have cracks at Kuggs given what he straight up admitted to (despite the acquittal), but I'm not sure it's right to do it with Lamichanne given he hasn't had his day in court and we know little of the details.
Wasn't he in jail and came out on bail?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Lamichchane is also on the verge of breaking fastest 100 odi wickets record in the next match. Just needs 2 wickets in next 5 matches to break the record.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
You know what bail is, right?
Yes. But in Asia, generally high profile guys don't get convicted and so I fully expect him to be declared not guilty in the end. The district court did jail him but he has appealed the decision further to the high court.

But yeah you are right. We won't know what happened.

HeathDavisSpeed

I kind of agree with this, but I still don’t think it’s a great look for the sport that they haven’t let the court case play out first. Most people on bail aren’t allowed to travel overseas, but that’s not the case here. It’s made even worse by how clear it is that without him, the results may well have been different.