• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Emerging Nations Cricket Thread

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
This will be a bit of a disappointement for the Namibian girls, so good throughout the group stage but came unglued in the final. Credit to Wetoto though, some of the slowest and loopiest spin I have seen in a fair while, no batting lineup in the tournament really had an answer for her

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Btw if Netherlands v Pakistan Super League matches isn't rescheduled for this summer I'm fairly sure it'll get cancelled, sigh

Can't believe we haven't managed to hook on to the limited overs-only tour they're doing up in England, even with travel restrictions there's been a strong will to give exception for sports

Aritro

International Regular
This stat about cricket in Scotland

With 17,000 grassroots players, cricket is second only to football, and ahead of Rugby Union, as the second most widely played sport nationally.
is weird and unexpected.

Don't they get big crowds at Murrayfield for Scotland rugby internationals? Must be one of the few instances where the total number of people who turn up to a match is many times greater than the total number that actually plays the game at the grassroots.

An equivalent would be if half a million people turned up to a cricket match in Australia.

Edit: Changed my Australian equivalent figure to half a million instead of 3 million after reading about Cricket Australia's wildly exaggerated stats. Maybe something similar has happened in Scotland.

cnerd123

likes this
I wonder how that number is calculated. Do they just take the total number of teams and times it by some multiplier (like 15 per team), which means they are potentially counting the same player 2 or 3 times if they play multiple leagues? Does this number include school kids and people who attend first-time cricket trial workshops and courses, even if they don't actively play on a regular basis? Is this number a current, real time number, or does it include people who last played 5 years ago? Lots of wiggle room depending on how you count it.

Aritro

International Regular
I wonder how that number is calculated. Do they just take the total number of teams and times it by some multiplier (like 15 per team), which means they are potentially counting the same player 2 or 3 times if they play multiple leagues? Does this number include school kids and people who attend first-time cricket trial workshops and courses, even if they don't actively play on a regular basis? Is this number a current, real time number, or does it include people who last played 5 years ago? Lots of wiggle room depending on how you count it.
This article from 2019 explains how Australia had about 247k registered players, which they managed to exaggerate to 684k by double counting people who move up a grade, from a 3rd XI to a 2nd XI, or getting picked in a rep team, and possibly just making **** up.

How they managed to claim 1.65 million "participants" is also pretty funny.

Not sure how the Scots do it.